Thailand reopening: Deceitful hotels tricking tourists are "letting the country down and damaging its image"

webfact

5 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Really  are you sure??? That's strange because Im there 3 times a week and it's a set price , prices are on the board. Usually between 20 to 40 baht. Motorcycle rent start 150.baht for the day, so saying they are charging 600 just for a 5 minutes motorbike taxi is very hard to belive.

'Set prices' doesn't stop some from trying it on, however ! Applies to number of Bangkok taxi operators also.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VenturaAce said:

I've been assured that the Thai tourist industry will try to recuperate its losses as fast as possible. The prices will be going up as there's fewer tourists around spending. It will be a money grab for sure. 

Yep, TAT started with SHA, then SHA+ and now it's SHA ++ to sort this problem. All with higher costs of compliance being passed on to us of course

Stands by for SHA+++ coming soon before we're allowed a beer at 200 baht each ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"These sharp practices, while admitting that they are only being done by a few hotels, are letting down the country and damaging our image,

Sharp practices are soon found in Thailand, usually as soon as the doors open at airport arrivals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Agoda is an American owned company and for a long time have handled a significant portion of the quarantine premises.

If the Thai government raised the quarantine from 7 days to 15 days do you believe that Agoda would only charge another 4 days rather than the additional 8 days?

That is what they did to me in reverse, I had to initiate a chargeback for the difference.

Agoda terms of use...

https://www.agoda.com/info/termsofuse.html?cid=1844104

7 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

I went to Koh Larn a few weeks ago. The blue pickup truck wanted 600 baht to take two people to the next beach. 

Motorcycle taxi was asking the same amount. 

They have learned nothing from the pandemic. And those who were ripping people off before, will do the same again.  

never going to change they learn it from a young age...

Edited by onthedarkside
derogatory comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scamming is a genetic trait of the human race.  It is up to the buyer to confirm everything before commencing a transaction.   Sort of like checking the menu to see if service charges are automatically added or not.  Whether water is complimentary or not.  Whether you have to return the rental car or bike with a full tank.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed

7 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

I went to Koh Larn a few weeks ago. The blue pickup truck wanted 600 baht to take two people to the next beach. 

Motorcycle taxi was asking the same amount. 

They have learned nothing from the pandemic. And those who were ripping people off before, will do the same again.  

They have earned nothing during the pandemic. You have learned nothing

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

This may be in the end the biggest issue of all.  I have seen the SHA+ manicured, sterlized, overpriced and boring advertising pleading to the wealthy tourists.  Not for me.  I miss the spontaneous, fun, unpredictable, real, affordable Thai experience which is being buried by over regulation, false claims and sanitized empty promises.  Once the word gets back to Farangland I am not so sure any tourists will come.

Dreadful government

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This happened to me... 

I booked Radisson (Ratchada) as an SHA+ booking....   (fully refundable up to the day before)

I e-mailed them asking about the PCR test and Airport Transfer. 

They did not reply. 

They replied on the Check-In date that they did not do PCR tests or Airport Transfers. 

I’d already re-booked a Plan B. 

But....  With all the hassle with Thailand Pass I’d forgotten I’d made that booking.

Agoda gave me a full refund because I contacted the hotel through them and the hotel did not respond. 

Additionally, after I’d booked the hotel changed their classification on Agoda from SHA+ to just SHA.

I thought it was either very cheeky or an innocent coincidental mistake that the hotel didn’t respond to my questions for 10 days until the day of arrival when theoretically it was too late to cancel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1