Thailand takes tentative first steps into new era of post-pandemic tourism

webfact

10 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I would have put my money on that in the past....but they seem to be able to dodge the bullet each time??? Mask wearing, social distancing, climate.....who knows?

Thai Magic.....or a dose of Asian kismet. In a more sensical manner, handled and managed better than others. 

All the while, the highly civilised???? cultures are still struggling with embarrassing numbers and societal management.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

Well then lets put the football in your end of the field, other than the hear-say on this site do you have the proof that thousands of people have returned to their second home.

i imagine the tourists companies saying in recent days here on TV it is thais and expats and business people only  returning should answer that daft question

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sandyf said:

Sucked in by media rhetoric trying to mislead people into reading the GDP dropped by 80%.

Any self respecting journalist would not have put the word "plummeted" immediately after Thai GDP.

"Tourism, which until the pandemic accounted for up to 20 percent of the Thai GDP, plummeted from 40 million visitors in 2019 to just 6.7 million in 2020, a drop of more than 80 percent, due to Covid-19 travel restrictions."

8% of the 20% of GDP is domestic tourism, nothing to do with international visitors. Losing a percentage of 12% is not the "heavy" price you make out.

Many will be deterred from travelling globally due to fuel increases, tax increases, airline covid policies, transit covid requirements. etc etc.

Of course that will all be the result of "Extreme timidity and cowardice".

What will be your next vilification topic?

Where would I start? The current crop of failed leaders is doing this entirely on their own. Sabotage. Recklessness. Sadism. 

I don't know what planet Thai authorities live on but they certainly don't know why people visit Thailand. Some may come for the beaches, some may come for the temples but the majority, by far, come because Thai women get horizontal quicker than any other.

Thailand will never attract rich tourists while there are places like the Caribbean that have better facilities

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:06 PM, JCP108 said:

"...to advocate for a more environmentally sustainable reopening focused on fewer visitors but with greater purchasing power."

I still don't get what this means.

It means you can be a bogun as long as you leave your wife beater at home, wear nice shoes, drink water and spend 3 billion baht a night on pad thai. 

Bottom line: this is all by-design (the entry/tourism debacle that is) because no one could be that thick to make such a mess, surely?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Amusing how the army goons love to portray themselves as being big and tough, yet a virus has them cowering in the corner of the room, scared of their own shadows. Tiny, terrified men. A sorry thing to witness. Guess it is all words and no action for these fools. 

We should be looking forward to the depicted film.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Where would I start? The current crop of failed leaders is doing this entirely on their own. Sabotage. Recklessness. Sadism. 

And next you will be complaining about how foreigners are not treated well.

People like you will make life difficult for everyone, an architect of your own expectations.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

They have it in for Pattaya too.... will not all the bars to open.... attract the wrong kind .... just been there and it's miserable ....

Yes and the sex industry of course 

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, BusyB said:

Yes and the sex industry of course 

Quote today from Pattaya News ...."Colonel Maykawit warned that police would be strict over the weekend in ensuring people were not drinking alcohol in public places and that no illegal acts like prostitution were taking place in “family-friendly” Pattaya. TPN media notes that these “roundups” of what is reportedly fairly common behaviors in the area traditionally happen before major festivals and events expected to bring in out-of-town tourists and also often include moving homeless people away from festivals and visible areas."