Covid Tales 1: Thailand Pass - retiree says you need be a "MENSA" genius to understand requirements

webfact

2 hours ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

It was a thai company called "aetna" and promoted themselves here as providing insurance to satisfy the thailand pass requirements, meaning a bundled packaged.

OK, I have given you two alternatives that won't discriminate.

I see that Aetna is the forum sponsor of the "Thailand COVID-19 Updates" pages here. I find it surprising and very disappointing that they are ageist on what's a basic insurance coverage that's easily available to the over-65's via other companies. More to the point, when they sponsor a thread that a lot of older folk depend on for help and information, it's rather disingenuous.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

Took me about 10 minutes to make the photos download them and fill out one application.

Got the submitted notice and a few days later QR.

Sailed through very organized I thought the process and appreciated assistance of the Thai authorities.

10's of thousands of people have figured out and come on the TP,  Could it be that Frank from the UK is paranoid, maybe suffers from anxiety and probably not very bright?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, redwood1 said:

So there are some people who are good at hoop jumping,so what......For loads of people the Thai Pass is anything but user friendly......I would go so far to say the TP was designed to be a mess.....And its succeeding quite well...

Look up Hanlon’s razor,a fitting description of Thai officialdom.

22 hours ago, internationalism said:

I am not mensa, but on return to thailand on thailand pass I got deceived by villa khaosan smart marketing.

It's difficult to avoid scam associated with anything related to officialdom in thailand - they are there to make money over the dead bodies, including their own citizens coming back to their motherland. If they are foreigners it is even less important, as foreigner has very little legal rights in thailand.

The same old country ruled by siamosauruses and "influential figures" from mafia. Nothing changes here

Thailand deserves BETTER than this! Moronic leadership, crippling tourism, club, bar, restaurant and associated business's, down to street vendors, all great people who have struggled to survive, only to have well heeled corrupt big shots impose stupid rules! What is it with the 50 plus photo copies required for nearly "anything" in Thailand. There must be humoungous warehouses somewhere holding all that wasted papers! 

Let the little people make money again, improve the tourism DUMB hurdles......... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I AM a Mensa genius.  Wanting stay with my wife in the home I built in Thailand, I was smart enough NOT to leave the country during this mess -- all so predictable.   Not sure what possessed these other folks.  Oh yeah, not Mensa genius's.  

Just back from my Dubai trip. PCR test the day before I left at Elegant Airport Hotel was back within 10 hours. Leaving Bkk took 20 minutes taxi to departure lounge. 

No problems at Dubai. PCR test day before leaving last Monday was a nurse came to my room, took swab, result back again in 10 hours and cost Bht 1500.

Check in at DXB took a while because the on-line and automatic check ins do not apply to Thailand, you must do it 'manually'. Elegant Hotel picked me up yesterday noon time, test at 6pm, result at 4am. Drove home. No MENSA needed.

As bad as the Thai Pass is just be thankful you not a Indian......Not only do they have to do all the Thai Pass stuff they also have to do this stuff too...

https://embassyofindiabangkok.gov.in/eoibk_pages/MTM0

• Valid passport, with at least 6 months validity, from the date of arrival.
  • One application form.
  • Two colour photos (35mm x 45mm), not older than 3 months, taken against a white background.
  • Covering letter mentioning data the name of the person responsible for bearing the expense of the trip, along with all particulars including hotel name, address and contact details.
  • Air ticket (preferably showing departure after 5 working days of the Embassy).
  • Hotel confirmation mentioning the names of all applicants/guests.
  • Photocopy of credit card with original credit card statements of last 6 months.
  • Last 6 months bank statement with original bank seal and a minimum balance of Rs.20,000/person.
  • Original currency exchange slips of at least USD 500 (five hundred USD)/person/week with applicant's name.
  • Proof of accommodation - if intending to stay with relatives and friends, applicants must provide invitation letter along with a copy of their ID/passports. In case they are not Thai nationals, applicant must provide their working records in Thailand (e.g. work permit, letter from company they are working).
  • Haha 2

I found it very straightforward completing my TP application last night. Took minutes to convert PDF to jpg, screenshot vaccine QR codes and upload them. I received my TP approval with my QR code in under a minute after applying.

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Well done getting your travel sorted out. I just like to know from you as regards to the EU digital covid certification. Reading from your post, it does seem that the Thai government recognise the vaccination status certification by the EU digital covid system. Is that right? Recognition by participating countries makes things much easier for travellers. As I know, 51 countries & territories in 5 continents are now connected to the EU certification. Singapore being the latest. 

I am just making assumptions and have no insider information about it. My assumption is that, as I got approved instantly, the system must be able to read the information on my QR code, which includes identification and vaccine status. My further assumption is that if the QR code is ok, the system probably doesn't check the vaccine documents.

I had no observation about QR codes from countries with different vaccine certificates, that's why I outlined that ,y experience may not be replicated with another type of certificate and QR code. Maybe it works just as well with other certificates from other country systems, or not..... I don't know.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As you seem to have issues accepting the REALITY of the new normal, nobody's jumping on a plane anywhere as easily as they used to.

If you can share the specifics of the "other countries are working on workable much less convoluted system" I would suggest you're the one with your knickers in a twist. Meanwhile, other people are traveling to Thailand and having fun too.

PS: Cambodia (still) doesn't count.

Don't be tiresome!

i am in Thailand

Going to uk in January

Book flight 

Book lateral test 800THB ish (they give you a code) on day 2 to address of choice

Type code from test place on passenger locator form along with flight number

Take yellow vaccination book with you

THATS IT !

Now which is simpler

Edited by poohy
  • Like 2

I was going to apply for the 60 day online evisa.  Told that I might have to wait 45 days and even then No Guarantee !!!!!!
Obviously a problem for my flight dates exceeding 60 days ( I was planning a 30 day extension. ) And also for all my other bookings, a stay in Phuket and Koh Chang !! They said there were going to be updates on the e visa system , I’m in France, and one of my friends has left without his visa having waited since nearly 3 weeks. Who waits 45 days for a visa ?? Wherever I’ve been, Cambodia, Bali, India, South America, Australia, it’s been immediate, or by return of post. Disgusting service !!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think many here are missing the point. For the likes of us, the Thai farce pass is an obstacle we will overcome - sometimes at length or with paid help - to get back to our families, houses and lives. Tourists on the other hand will take one look at the total nonsense and go elsewhere.

For 18 (hahahahahaha) million next year the farce pass will have to be out the window by the first months of next year

I agree.

A friend of mine has just got his TP and Visa.

He is certainly IT-literate but it's fair to say that as a self-confessed "Geek" I may be ahead of him there. Therefore, I gave him a little help converting PDF files to JPG files but other than that he did it himself.

In one email he said "I should have kept a log of all the time spent gathering docs etc. Might be around 10 hours including the Visa?"

He was very frazzled at the end of one day but was ultimately successful. He's flying from UK on 12th December - staying 3 months as a tourist.

Being quite honest, I'm using him as a "Guinea Pig"  - when he settles into Pattaya, he will email me an actual "sit-rep" and I might then decide to go for it.

Reading this thread, the TP application process appears to have got a little easier and one hopes that path will continue

In my case, with bars closed, alcohol restrictions etc it's still very much a "might" - for he, who plays golf 3 or 4 days a week it all makes more sense.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Now it seems that the evisa is giving problems !!! Maybe not in every country ?? France is saying 45 days wait Not guaranteed!! Now what do I do, cancel everything. I’m really annoyed that they  can’t even  manage the visa for the small amount of demand. Failed system.

My issue is as such : passport from a green country, but work in a country that is not on the green list. So, 7 days in ''Blue Zone Sand Box'' area  with restricted movement . As per rules: can move around but not leave the designated blue zone area: must have a hotel for 7 days as per guidelines. 

However, I have a house in Blue zone area.. Why can't I stay in my house and save few baht?: NO !!! not allowed.

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

More like retired traffic wardens these days.  

Retirees have had it too easy for too long. As Thailand has been shedding its developing country tag, things were bound to become more like Singapore or Japan; no more easy visas for people on measly UK state pensions, living in a shoebox condo doing their visa run to Cambodia. I hope the illegal visa agents are dealt with sooner than later. 

And perhaps Scotland will forcibly repatriate you. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

I've been coming to Thailand since 2007; the 1st 7 trips as a 30 day tourist, then 6 years in a row for 5.5 to 6 months following retirement at 60 specifically to avoid Canada's brutal winter weather. I didn't make it last winter and really missed the warm weather and the golf. I would normally play golf 3 to 4 days a week when there, and although I don't drink alcohol and avoid the bar scene, I spend my fair share. I never felt the need to comment on this forum before even though I've been monitoring it for over 7 years now. I'm finally annoyed enough it's time to add my comments. I've wanted to return for this winter, but thought I would wait to see if they would work out the glitches and make things less complex. I was planning to leave mid December and stay until late April. Estimates for the insurance from Cdn insurance co's ranged from 25,000 to over 75,000 thai baht. So I decided to try one of the thai insurance companies promoting themselves on this website. I received a response that they would not insure any new customers over the age of 65. Wow ... not only do I feel like they really don't want us anymore, but they don't want our money either. I'm changing my plans and will continue monitoring things for the possibility of coming mid January, but if they don't reduce some of the requirements, I may do a complete change of plans and go somewhere else this winter, and possibly future winters.  

Try AXA.  Reinsure up to 74

Just like to share my recent experience with the Thailand Pass application to possibly help any people who may be thinking about making the effort to go to Thailand in the forthcoming weeks?

After reading several stories from posters here and having a bit of a trial run with the TP website, I realised that getting your information prepared was the key.  I already had a fairly high definition pdf of the information page of my passport so this was not a problem.  If you or a friend have access to a photocopier that will scan to pdf or jpeg, I would advise this rather than trying to take photos.  They are only interested in the main info page, so if you have scanned the opposite page at the same time, I would advise cropping the scan just to show the main page using basic photo editing software that should be found on any computer.

Despite already having an annual travel insurance policy with £15m cover including Covid, I made the decision to pay the extra to get the Thai insurance to save any of the hassle that some of my friends were experiencing when trying to use their international policies for TP.  I went for the minimum $50000 cover with TuneProtect, it cost me about £60 for 30 days and I received the TP acceptable confirmation of cover letter almost immediately.  Whilst I was thinking of waiting a bit before booking the Test and Go hotel, in case the rules changed to my favour at the end of the month, I found a SHA Plus+ hotel on Agoda which offered free cancellation, so I opted to book this.  I made the booking last night and awoke this morning to find an email from them asking for a copy of my passport and my flight details?  I emailed them this and with 20 minutes I had the required confirmation letter and QR code.

I then started to prepare my information and despite the TP system allegedly now accepting PDFs, I chose to go with the original jpeg format.  I already had some free PDF tools on my laptop as part of the free PDFill software and I would advise downloading this if you don’t already have suitable software, in order to save using online PDF converters.  The confirmation of both my vaccine shots were contained on one letter from the NHS in the UK, so I converted this to a jpeg and also then cropped and renamed this twice to have jpegs of the QR codes for each of the vaccine confirmations as recommended by a previous poster.  I then converted all remaining information to jpeg format.

I then worked my way through the TP application online, adding all the information at the requested point and remembering to click the box to add the QR codes for each vaccination.  This took about 10-15 minutes and almost immediately upon clicking the submit button, I received a confirmation email that they had received my application.  8 minutes later I received another email stating that my application had been approved and enclosing the required QR code for entry.

So to summarise, all in all including preparing the information, submitting it and waiting for the confirmation it took less than an hour.  Admittedly I’m fairly tech savvy but if you pay attention to preparing all the information, it appears a lot less stressful.  Hope this helps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was very straight forward and easy for me to do this last week. Just took photos of all documents and uploaded. Very easy. Received my QR code 4 days later. Did my PCR test yesterday and fly tomorrow. So far no big hassle. We shall see what happens when I get there. I think the changes they made must have worked. If you can’t figure this out then maybe it’s better to stay home. 

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 7:04 AM, internationalism said:

I am not mensa, but on return to thailand on thailand pass I got deceived by villa khaosan smart marketing.

It's difficult to avoid scam associated with anything related to officialdom in thailand - they are there to make money over the dead bodies, including their own citizens coming back to their motherland. If they are foreigners it is even less important, as foreigner has very little legal rights in thailand.

The same old country ruled by siamosauruses and "influential figures" from mafia. Nothing changes here

The genus name  Siamosaurus  can be used as both singular or pleural - the context will tell which it is.  You cannot mess around with the Latin name in this way. And, God preserve us,  you cannot even think of calling them Siamosauri    !!! 

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

More like retired traffic wardens these days.  

Retirees have had it too easy for too long. As Thailand has been shedding its developing country tag, things were bound to become more like Singapore or Japan; no more easy visas for people on measly UK state pensions, living in a shoebox condo doing their visa run to Cambodia. I hope the illegal visa agents are dealt with sooner than later. 

I have never been to Japan, but I have been to 'pore several times. I doubt that either of these countries  have rubbish everywhere,  mad drivers ignored by the police, mad dogs encouraged to roam freely  etc etc ........   We all know that Thailand is the most wonderful place on God's Earth - so not need to change anything.  No way will it ever be like Singapore or Japan !

I went back to the uk for a funeral stayed the 21 days needed then applied for the Thailand pass very very easy and recieved it the next day. Am retired on a retirement Visa I'm not a computer guy and can just about turn the computer on. The only thing I found tricky was zooming into the QR CODE and making it fit.the square but even thisciscnot needed. I disagree with all the bad things writen about the pass found it easy to do