Covid Tales 1: Thailand Pass - retiree says you need be a "MENSA" genius to understand requirements

webfact

2 hours ago, Puccini said:
3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...My experience...

Your experience: three hotel reservations, two Thailand Pass applications. It could have been worse. My reluctance to fly to Thailand is slowly waning.

That was in version 1.0 which was an admitted fustercluck made worse by people carpet-bombing the application process.

I think the original TP thread has probably slipped in the popularity rankings by now.

Oops... Here it is absolutely drenched with more recent success stories from happy campers.

Maybe some of these people should try the actual MENSA test. Yes, it is difficult and it is supposed to be difficult.

If someone is not even smart enough to enter Thailand then maybe they shouldn't try that MENSA test. They might be disappointed when they get the result.

Mensa-requirements.gif

• Like 1

I think the situation now is different from what it was at the beginning of the month.

I did it this week end and it has been seamless. I registered online for the insurance and got the certificate at once. Booked the test and go room directly on the hotel website, and it was clearly indicated that PCR test and pick up was included. Go the confirmation after a few minutes.

Then converted all my files in jpg using a free software (Formatfactory), followed all instruction and got my acceptance and QR a few seconds later.

Having said that, I have the EU digital Covid certificate which the system is used to process, it may be longer with certificates from other countries.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

To qualify for MENSA you must be in the top 2%, so that rules out 98% of us, not 99%. 

Indeed. But what we should know about MENSA circles is that it's a bit of a scam.....if not rhetorical theatre. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unattributed belly aching more like. Sounds like 'Frank' is either a bit of a stress monkey, clueless or the OP totally misread his "ironic and sometimes tongue-in-cheek and humorous" emails. Since there's no such beast as a 'pension visa', I would say it's leaning towards clueless.

My experience: ThailandPass went 'live' on 1st Nov, I applied 2nd Nov received acknowledgement email 3rd Nov. This included booking an AQ hotel. No word from first AQ hotel by 4th so booked a backup hotel and a third via agoda (all except one fully refundable). Went ahead and booked a FLEXIBLE flight for 11th Nov. Sent emails to the first two AQ hotels and went and booked my local PCR test using the CLEARLY STATED and EASILY UNDERSTOOD "no more than 72-hour BEFORE start of travel" rule. Submitted a second TP application on 7th with a follow up email regarding it and the earlier application. Received confirmation of second application receipt on 8th and a few hours later got the 'No Quarantine' QR code for the second application. The hotels all broke radio silence the same day on the 9th so after doing my PCR test, I confirmed one and canceled the other two. Went online in the evening and upgraded my ticket to get better separation from fellow pax, bought excess baggage and lounge access. Printed out 4 pieces of paper, one each for QR code, proof of insurance, PCR -ve test and the AQ hotel which were quickly approved by two subsequent check-in staff at two different airports. The total time between parking at the jetway to getting my PCR-tested butt into my comfy AQ room was less than 90-minutes.

The rest as they say is (easy peasy) history.

Haha, easy peasy..

17 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

"Frank" stresses out too much!  Maybe I was just lucky. Thai pass submitted 1st attempt on 1st Nov just 30 minutes after system live. Issued on 2nd Nov for flight on 3rd Nov arriving in Thailand 6am on 4th Nov. Very straightforward (although tedious following the "rules") but then I was lucky. Arrived BKK and was first off the plane and through Thai Pass check. 1 minute at immigration and stamped in. Pattaya hotel had staff waiting and private taxi a short while later. In hotel by 08:15am, PCR test and in room by 08:30am. Phone rang at 3:00pm to say Covid test negative. On beach by 4:30pm for sunset. This was before some hotels saw the scam opportunities. It would take a very determined tourist to bother with all this - I forgot to note the insurance and PCR test not more than 72hrs before departure too. What's the website address for Mensa application?   ????   

Do you mind me asking what hotel you used in Pattaya?  Cheers

Not to come across as a contradicting gadfly, but mostly out of curiosity - 

Wondering if there is such research and collections regarding such positive and successful TP experiences. 

Just an observation, but I bet it overwhelms the ever promoted negative perspectives. 

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

"Frank" sounds like a bit of a lightweight. I thought all Pattaya Poms were ex-SAS hard men ????

More like retired traffic wardens these days.  

Retirees have had it too easy for too long. As Thailand has been shedding its developing country tag, things were bound to become more like Singapore or Japan; no more easy visas for people on measly UK state pensions, living in a shoebox condo doing their visa run to Cambodia. I hope the illegal visa agents are dealt with sooner than later. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7