Police will face trouble if caught taking bribes - tourists stopped by traffic cops in Phuket creates stir

webfact

On 11/25/2021 at 10:04 AM, yogi yogi said:

i would have to carry my passport with me on my moto in addition to carrying my dl.  and international drivers license.  ? in addition to carry ing moto rental docs.????? that is at least 4 docs i need to produce?  isnt a copy of passport page enuf

Only fools routinely carry passports around or hand them over as deposit. Law be damned. many Thais have ZERO motoring  documents yet are never checked. of course it’s selective enforcement on tourists only. for revenue, using “law” as pretext, so of course it’s Corrupt.

Everyone of course should be fully legal on the road at all times for Optimum Protection in case of incident.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:04 PM, Andrew65 said:

Some years ago an old friend was riding his rented motorbike in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, when he was pulled over by some cops. He was a bit worried because he had a small amount of cannabis in his bag. He wasn't wearing a crash helmet, so the cops said they would have to fine him. When he asked how much, they said "Up to you" (heard that before!?)????. So he handed over a crisp $10 bill. When he handed the bike back to the renter he related his tale of woe to the guy. the man became visibly angry and said "Why you give $10, $2 more than enough!"????

Years ago the SOP in Cambo was to just run through a police checkpoint.  They didn't have money to put fuel in the tanks of their bikes so they never cased you.

On 11/25/2021 at 9:10 AM, Geoffggi said:

Police will face trouble if caught taking bribes

Maybe this headline should read - Police will face trouble if caught NOT taking bribes .............................LOL

White intended as a joke your comments are actually very very close to the truth.

'Back in the day’ a good friend of mine (in the Thai Police) received death threads and had his car ‘damaged’ while parked in the RTP HQ  in Bangkok.....  because he refused to accept bribes... he wasn’t ‘playing the game’... 

Now he indoctrinated... plays the game, takes the bribes and is quite senior....  he would not have risen had he not complied with the culture of graft. 

On 1/1/2022 at 7:40 AM, richard_smith237 said:

White intended as a joke your comments are actually very very close to the truth.

'Back in the day’ a good friend of mine (in the Thai Police) received death threads and had his car ‘damaged’ while parked in the RTP HQ  in Bangkok.....  because he refused to accept bribes... he wasn’t ‘playing the game’... 

Now he indoctrinated... plays the game, takes the bribes and is quite senior....  he would not have risen had he not complied with the culture of graft. 

"Don't rock the boat!".????

Edited by Andrew65