Thailand’s first homemade rifle spotlights strange gun culture

webfact

3 minutes ago, Forrests Father said:

Brandishing guns in Flipflops and not enough money to practice. 

Do we have statistics how many Somchais shot them selves in the foot?

If they can afford a silly priced legal firearm here, I don't think they'll be showing up in flip flops.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fangless said:

Thailand’s first homemade rifle; 

I am sure that is not true!

Correct !  It is not true.

These are the first four search-results from DuckDuckGo :

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/10/27/thailands-beautiful-mauser/

https://ammoterra.com/gun-from-thailand

https://carbinesforcollectors.com/thaipage1.html

https://armamentresearch.com/royal-thai-army-acquires-domestically-produced-mod963-self-loading-rifles/

9 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Thank you.......no justification whatsoever for anyone outside of law enforcement or the military to even touch a gun.

It depends which country you are in, as you probably realise.  Go west and see the difference.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Next to the Machete, Meat cleaver, Hammer and screwdriver.

TIT.

Some members might remember the news report about 2 maybe 3 years ago: a cop had resigned from the police, in Pattaya, to focus full-time on his illicit business of selling stolen or whatever handguns to Pattaya teenagers.

In the previous 2 or 3 months he had sold 152 handguns and had a big stock for further sales. 

• Like 2

The photo with the headline reminds me of when we took the staff (about 20 in total, all well experienced consultants) on a long week-end thank you retreat to the Sth of Thailand. 

Ninety % were educated abroad and had 1 or 2 masters degrees. The rest were well educated support staff. All spoke advanced/perfect English.

The majority wanted to do a boat trip (ocean trip) about 1 hr from one island to another. Everybody agreed. The boat operator arrived with what seemed to be a strong and well maintained boat with a back up outboard engine, modern radio, and plenty of good quality life vests and he requested everybody put on and fasten a life vest. 

About half refused 'I don't need that', 'It's OK I can swim, I don't need it' etc.

The operator tried again to get everybody to put on/fasten a life vest. Now a little anger 'NO, It's ugly', etc.

By this stage everybody was sitting on the boat. I intervened (because the local Thai GM was too timid) and individually asked every person not wearing a life vest to put it on and fasten it or get off the boat.

Two staff (1F 1M) refused.

I made an announcement 'either everybody puts on a life vest and fastens it leaves it fastened for the whole tip or I cancel the trip'.

More objections. Now the boat operator announced he was cancelling the trip and he privately asked me to give him some compensation. (I quietly gave him 50% of the agreed cost).

Now the return to the hotel. I told the admin, manager to quickly find 2 or 3 vans, and I announced that someone on each bus must gather enough cash from all on board to pay the van driver.

More anger.

The Thai GM now asks me 'what should we do for the rest of today'. My response 'up to you, one idea would be to cancel all planned company financed activity for the rest of the day, and tell the group to be ready at xxx time tomorrow morning to go to the airport for the planned flight back to Bkk'. I walked away and went back to my room.

The 2 who had refused to wear life vests were ostracized and for maybe 2 months nobody cooperated with them in the office. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, having used variants on both systems mentioned, wouldn't disagree.

AR15/M16 has the edge for sure on accuracy IMHO. Whats best at the time boils down to the environment you are working in at the end of the day.

Edited by Harry Black
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

As a Firearms Instructor at Club level with the NSRA in the UK, I find the picture an appalling breach of many things to do with Safety on that Pistol Range.

These peole should not be even allowed Water Pistols.

I particularly liked the concept of throwing a loaded, cocked automatic weapon 12 metres off a tower to land at the feet of the bloke standing below!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, seedy said:

AR15/M16 variant - won't hold a candle to an AK

And of course the AK 47 has more stopping power even if it is a .30 caliber short. (39mm) compared to the .223 that actually is a varmint round. In some states you are not allowed to hunt deer with a .223

3 minutes ago, morrobay said:

And of course the AK 47 has more stopping power even if it is a .30 caliber short. (39mm) compared to the .223 that actually is a varmint round. In some states you are not allowed to hunt deer with a .223

Modern small arms are designed to permanently incapacitate, not kill.

An injured soldier is a drain on resources forever.

Deer you want to kill.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, poskat said:

a conservative is a liberal who has been robbed at gun point

But if there were serious respected laws and very severe punishments for illegal sales and ownership of guns society would not need to see such incidents.

No matter how you frame it, a society is much better off to not allow the public to own guns.

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But if there were serious respected laws and very severe punishments for illegal sales and ownership of guns society would not need to see such incidents.

No matter how you frame it, a society is much better off to not allow the public to own guns.

As long as criminals have them, it would be nice to be able to defend yourself....equally.  You're assuming there is never a need to defend yourself with a gun, in our non perfect world.  That's not reality

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

criminals by definition dont follow laws

the cities in the usa with the strictest gun laws, nyc, dc, chicago, and la have the highest gun violence rates

Edited by poskat

You want to end gun violence, and or all conventional wars ....

... simply solution would be stop making firearms & bullets.

But do consider, the 5 permanent members of the 'UN Security Council' (oxymoron) just happen to be 5 of the 6 largest arms manufacturers & sellers of.  A bit of a conflict of interest, and unlikely the world will change in our life time, or the next century or 3, as long as gun violence, war & death is profitable.

Those that make the laws, for or against firearms, have their own personal 'armed' security forces.  Falls under the 'laws for thee, not for me' scenario. 

18 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

As a Firearms Instructor at Club level with the NSRA in the UK, I find the picture an appalling breach of many things to do with Safety on that Pistol Range.

These peole should not be even allowed Water Pistols.

Personally I don't think that this is a photo of the actual firing point, more of a handling a handgun excersise,  hence no ear defenders. I've been on a few ranges and I've yet to see any Thai shooters not wearing ear protection.

This is my opinion, which may differ from others.

• Like 1