What is the latest info (education budget for hiring the foreigner teacher)

slappy

From what I understood, schools could apply to the ministry of education for a budget of 50,000 baht per month to pay for a foreigner teacher. 

Is this still currently the case? 

What is the latest info on this?

Many thanks 

I haven't heard anything about this. I have several friends in the Thai education system, schools are having a tough time just meeting payroll of much less than 50k/month. This is not including international schools which are on a completely separate pay scale.

Edited by HappyExpat57
remove redundancy
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 11:58 AM, slappy said:

From what I understood, schools could apply to the ministry of education for a budget of 50,000 baht per month to pay for a foreigner teacher. 

Is this still currently the case? 

What is the latest info on this?

Urban myth. There is no such budget at all. I would like to know where you heard it, as I have been here 30+ years working in education and have never heard of it.

• Like 2

I don't think there is an actual budget for 50,000 baht for teachers. My son is a teacher at an International School. From what I understand most schools are having troubles meeting their budget. As times are hard for them. Not all schools pay the same rate of pay. It depends on the type of school and its location on how much a teacher would be paid. If you have an idea on where you want to live, email the school and ask them. When my son was looking for a teacher position, he found out that International Schools pay more than a standard school. At the International School he gets paid more than the teachers that can speak english only. As he can speak, write and read Thai, so that helped a lot.

6 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I don't think there is an actual budget for 50,000 baht for teachers. My son is a teacher at an International School. From what I understand most schools are having troubles meeting their budget. As times are hard for them. Not all schools pay the same rate of pay. It depends on the type of school and its location on how much a teacher would be paid. If you have an idea on where you want to live, email the school and ask them. When my son was looking for a teacher position, he found out that International Schools pay more than a standard school. At the International School he gets paid more than the teachers that can speak english only. As he can speak, write and read Thai, so that helped a lot.

International schools fall under a different category.

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Go back and read the very first post.  Your answer is there!

I'd rather suggest you go back and read the very first post and then the following posts, there haven't been that many.

The OP is making an unsubstantiated claim based on hearsay, though hearsay from whom he hasn't seen fit to tell, despite being asked.

This kind of fishing post frequently appears here.

Those of us who have knowledge of how funding for foreign teachers works in Thailand's government schools have gently corrected him.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, puchooay said:

However, it has already been mentioned that there is no such budget. Thus, making your comment inane.

You, and another, took everything too literal.  When the salary was quoted as being 35,000 yet 50,000 was supposedly allotted I just stated that it probably was pocketed by an administrator.  Hence the smiley face at the end of my post.  Sheesh, you guys gotta lighten up some.  Sorry it flew over your head(s).  ????

13 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

You, and another, took everything too literal.  When the salary was quoted as being 35,000 yet 50,000 was supposedly allotted I just stated that it probably was pocketed by an administrator.  Hence the smiley face at the end of my post.  Sheesh, you guys gotta lighten up some.  Sorry it flew over your head(s).  ????

Good try.????????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I've been in Thailand awhile. I won't say how long, lest the fine gentlemen around here whip out their measuring tapes.

The issue isn't how long a foreigner has been here, the issue is what the foreigner has done since they have been here.

I'll reiterate, foreign teachers in Thai government schools are not funded via a government budget for foreign teachers.

• Thanks 1

This is not the issue  (the issue is what the foreigner has done since they have been here.)

As being the OP on the topic, The issue is, Is there a budget from the education ministry, for schools to employ a foreigner?

Just to inform. I have been here 13 years and teaching in those years at various schools. This topic always seems to pop up within conversation with other foreigners and no one has been able to give a true correct answer. 

Legally, I do know for any business to employ a foreigner eg Native uk, aussie, american, canadian it is 50,000 per month but if you are from another country like Philippines the salary scales drops down to 35,000 per month 

(Table of Income for Criteria 2.1(2) Annexed to Order No. 327/2557 of the Royal Thai Police Bureau dated June 30, 2014)

I am in a very similar situation as (CrunchWrapSupreme). I have experienced the same things he has mentioned. So as from reading the replies to my original question. I am still no wiser to the correct answer.

Thanks to all who responded 

On 12/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, blackprince said:

I'd rather suggest you go back and read the very first post and then the following posts, there haven't been that many.

The OP is making an unsubstantiated claim based on hearsay, though hearsay from whom he hasn't seen fit to tell, despite being asked.

This kind of fishing post frequently appears here.

Those of us who have knowledge of how funding for foreign teachers works in Thailand's government schools have gently corrected him.

The OP is making no claim substantiated or otherwise.

5 minutes ago, slappy said:

Legally, I do know for any business to employ a foreigner eg Native uk, aussie, american, canadian it is 50,000 per month but if you are from another country like Philippines the salary scales drops down to 35,000 per month 

(Table of Income for Criteria 2.1(2) Annexed to Order No. 327/2557 of the Royal Thai Police Bureau dated June 30, 2014)

Out of courtesy, I've taken the time to read your recommended "Table of Income for Criteria 2.1(2) Annexed to Order No. 327/2557 of the Royal Thai Police Bureau dated June 30, 2014."

I have not found anything about "Legally, I do know for any business to employ a foreigner eg Native uk, aussie, american, canadian it is 50,000 per month but if you are from another country like Philippines the salary scales drops down to 35,000 per month", or anything about rules for salaries for foreign teachers.

I can tell you quite categorically there is no government budget for foreign teachers in Thai government schools. That's not how funding for foreigners in Thai government schools works.

I'll add that each Thai government school is administered by 1 of around 10 government bodies. None of these bodies draws on a government  budget for foreign teachers because there is no such budget.

You have still not told us where you heard the hearsay that inspired you to start this thread, but whoever gave it to you is incorrect.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP is making no claim substantiated or otherwise.

The OP says this "From what I understood, schools could apply to the ministry of education for a budget of 50,000 baht per month to pay for a foreigner teacher.  "

This is an unsubstantiated claim based on hearsay.

22 minutes ago, slappy said:

Teaching is exempt. The rule does not apply to teachers.

On 12/2/2021 at 2:10 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I've been in Thailand awhile. I won't say how long, lest the fine gentlemen around here whip out their measuring tapes. During this time I've had family and friends who were admins in schools and govt offices. Indeed, they confided in me that the figure mentioned is around that amount, perhaps a bit higher.

The confusion likely lies in the question of where the budget comes from.

Every government school has a budget to cover teaching that cannot be performed by the registered government teachers, whose salary comes directly from the government.

Some teachers are hired directly by the school, usually on a one year contract. In the old days when teachers wore military style uniforms on a Monday, the difference between government workers and direct hires was plain to see.

The school's annual budget takes care of the direct hire teachers' salaries, including foreigners. There may well be, I'm not sure, a limit that they can cost a teacher from within that budget.

16 minutes ago, blackprince said:

I have not found anything about "Legally, I do know for any business to employ a foreigner eg Native uk, aussie, american, canadian it is 50,000 per month but if you are from another country like Philippines the salary scales drops down to 35,000 per month", or anything about rules for salaries for foreign teachers.

It is a requirement for a work permit. The rules on required salary vary depending on nationality. Teachers are not covered by this rule.

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

It is a requirement for a work permit. The rules on required salary vary depending on nationality. Teachers are not covered by this rule.

The topic of this thread is "From what I understood, schools could apply to the ministry of education for a budget of 50,000 baht per month to pay for a foreigner teacher. Is this still currently the case? "

The answer is - it was never the case, because that's not how funding for foreigners in government schools works.

Re the OP's reference to "Table of Income for Criteria 2.1(2) Annexed to Order No. 327/2557 of the Royal Thai Police Bureau dated June 30, 2014)" it makes no reference to differential salaries for foreign teachers based on nationality. But that's irrelevant to the original question of where does the money come from anyway, so I'm not going to go there.

4 hours ago, blackprince said:

The topic of this thread is "From what I understood, schools could apply to the ministry of education for a budget of 50,000 baht per month to pay for a foreigner teacher. Is this still currently the case? "

The answer is - it was never the case, because that's not how funding for foreigners in government schools works.

Re the OP's reference to "Table of Income for Criteria 2.1(2) Annexed to Order No. 327/2557 of the Royal Thai Police Bureau dated June 30, 2014)" it makes no reference to differential salaries for foreign teachers based on nationality. But that's irrelevant to the original question of where does the money come from anyway, so I'm not going to go there.

I was replying to your post, not the OP.

You said "I cannot find anything about.....".

I just pointed out that it is a work permit requirement.

6 hours ago, puchooay said:

I was replying to your post, not the OP.

You said "I cannot find anything about.....".

I just pointed out that it is a work permit requirement.

Yes I understand that. But I'd add that it's not as simple as a nationality rule. The guidelines for foreign teacher salaries in government schools include several factors.

13 hours ago, blackprince said:

The OP says this "From what I understood, schools could apply to the ministry of education for a budget of 50,000 baht per month to pay for a foreigner teacher.  "

This is an unsubstantiated claim based on hearsay.

Dont be silly. One the contrary 'From what I understand' qualifies it as query not a statement of fact. 

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Dont be silly. One the contrary 'From what I understand' qualifies it as query not a statement of fact. 

I never said it was a fact. I said it was an unsubstantiated claim based on hearsay, which it clearly is. And the OP still has not said where he heard the hearsay, even though several people have asked him.

And he has made yet another unsubstantiated claim about salary differentials and given a document reference as supposed supporting evidence, however the document doesn't make any statement about this second claim.

Like many such posts here, it seems to be driven by a dissatisfaction with pay, The OP will never resolve that kind of dissatisfaction on this forum, as none of us is his paymaster.

But enough of this diversion, and back to the key question. There is no government budget for foreign teachers in government schools, period.

2 minutes ago, blackprince said:

I never said it was a fact. I said it was an unsubstantiated claim based on hearsay, which it clearly is. And the OP still has not said where he heard the hearsay, even though several people have asked him.

And he has made yet another unsubstantiated claim about salary differentials and given a document reference as supposed supporting evidence, however the document doesn't make any statement about this second claim.

Like many such posts here, it seems to be driven by a dissatisfaction with pay, The OP will never resolve that kind of dissatisfaction on this forum, as none of us is his paymaster.

But enough of this diversion, and back to the key question. There is no government budget for foreign teachers in government schools, period.

Calm down. Have a cold shower. Dare I say: 'get a life'. Please believe that which you will if it makes you feel better. LOL Good luck with your semantics and rhetoric classes. Soon you will understand the 'prosidic force' of statements and sleep a less angry person.