BREAKING: CCSA confirms easing of entry restrictions to Thailand from Dec 16

webfact

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am concerned too... but until I see more information on whether it leads to more severe disease than say Delta, I think panic is negative, proactive action, yes. 

A little less worrying article here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59442141

Although outdated already as Omicron has been detected in the UK already. 

i dont have any source or link  .... i have a history of 2 years of covid irresponsibility ... and a complete mistrust in  world goverments/people doing the right thing

On 11/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, aussiexpat said:

Even bigger joke is that if I nominate Novatel at the airport, I won't get a Thailand Pass unless I show proof of a 600 metre taxi fare and a pre-paid ATK. What would that be, 1000 baht? What's the point....

I stay at the novotel to ..worse still what if it's the free transport provided by the hotel to most of the hotels surrounding swampy and bang Na how do you show proof of that. Has anyone ever booked a taxi before arriving In Thailand?  ????????????

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've just checked the TP website, all the african countries have been removed from drop down menu's in 'Test and Go' and 'Sandbox' programs, only option is the 2 week caged option in hotel loom...

Lets hope this Ban is the Africa only, if the ban extends to other regions Europe-South East Asia, then its back to 14 days locked in Loom for everyone ????

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

Lets hope this Ban is the Africa only, if the ban extends to other regions Europe-South East Asia, then its back to 14 days locked in Loom for everyone ????

Can't see there's many expats that haven't made it back by now.

Surely nobody else would be daft enough to travel at his time.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm waiting on my passport, expected Soon,

also lots of people have planned to arrive in December-Jan

an unwanted Spanner has arrived 

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Many have been back and with ( until last 4 or 5 days ) restrictions easing many have left and are travelling again.

Unfortunatley having to travel is necessary for some of us.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

TAT has posted an update of the rules from 16 Dec

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/11/thailand-eases-entry-rules-from-16-december-2021/

"The current 1-night waiting period in a hotel and a confirmed payment (for 1-night stay at SHA++ hotel, 1 RT-PCR test, and pre-arranged airport transfer) will no longer be required.

On arrival testing will be changed to an ATK method."

Still not clear as to how the ATK will work

That's the way to go TAT, on you go, please do plough on! (regardless of any African scare).

21 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

Me?  I'm buying shares in whatever company hits the market with the new vaccines first.  Wait for a market dip December or January and plow into Pharmaceuticals while shorting Airlines and Hospitality and Tourism stock. 

I got burnt with Curevac. Vaccine stocks are a gamble against great odds IMO.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've just checked the TP website, all the african countries have been removed from drop down menu's in 'Test and Go' and 'Sandbox' programs, only option is the 2 week caged option in hotel loom...

It's pure madness of all countries not only Thailand to block travelers from southern Africa. All South Africa did was to be the first to report about this new strain of the virus. The strain has been found in numerous countries already also outside Africa. It's too late. This mutant is now everywhere already. Any kind of extra measures are useless. It's in Europe. Europeqns are basically free to enter the country and with the way things are organized now there will always be isolated cases bringing in the virus which now includes omicron. And if tourists won't bring it in then illegal immigrants will at some point. This already happened with the delta variant and it will happen with all future variants. A virus doesn't care about borders but I'm afraid politicians are too caught up in their usual business for them to really understand this.

Edited by AgentSmith

You can be pretty assured that this variant can now be found pretty much everywhere.  If they started to test more here and do the genomic sequencing they may surprise themselves.

It is like this everywhere this time of year as all viruses mutate and spread no matter if it is Covid or flu=like viruses.  It is why every year boosters are created to be given to the vulnerable.  

Make the vaccines needed, stop playing the games they are and lets get on with life.  If folks refuse like they have in the past well the deaths will increase, just like they did prior to Covid.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8408492/canada-omicron-variant-covid/

Canada has detected its first two cases of the Omicron COVID-19 variant.

A statement from Ontario’s Ministry of Health confirmed that cases of the variant, recently declared as the novel coronavirus’ fifth variant of concern by the WHO, have been identified in Ontario.

“Today, the province of Ontario has confirmed two cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 in Ottawa, both of which were reported in individuals with recent travel from Nigeria. Ottawa Public Health is conducting case and contact management and the patients are in isolation,” read the statement Sunday.

14 hours ago, samtam said:

Thank you for the link to the article in the British news publication "Independent", the first paragraph of which reads as follows:

A new variant of Covid-19 has emerged, known as B.1.1529. The World Health Organisation relies on the Greek alphabet to name new variants of concern, which means B.1.1529 could eventually be called Nu, as this is the next available letter.

The operative word here is "could". The World Health Organisation (WHO) could have named the new variant "Nu", which would have been logical, but for reasons which to discuss here would be off topic the WHO skipped Nu and Xi and used Omicron, reported here by the same publication: 

The WHO has named the latest variant of the Covid-19 virus “omicron”, saying it has become a variant of concern since it was first identified in South Africa on 9 November and that it poses a “very high” global risk with potentially severe consequences.

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/omicron-variant-meaning-greek-alphabet-b1965952.html

Edited by Puccini

On 11/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, aussiexpat said:

Why would a hotel be interested in the hassle of doing an ATK test only with no nights booking? And I have a condo, don't need a hotel and my taxi would be straight to Pattaya 

Why not set up ATK at the basically empty airport?

Can see the Swampy Novatel across the road becoming a very busy ATK test facility lol

'Hotel of choice' What's the problem? Many people with condos book into hotels for a bit on returning here before opening up their condo, turning on the utilities, airing and checking the place..

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

'Hotel of choice' What's the problem? Many people with condos book into hotels for a bit on returning here before opening up their condo, turning on the utilities, airing and checking the place..

Says no Condo owner ever...why would anyone with a Condo book a hotel lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Puccini said:

Thank you for the link to the article in the British news publication "Independent", the first paragraph of which reads as follows:

The operative word here is "could". The World Health Organisation (WHO) could have named the new variant "Nu", which would have been logical, but for reasons which to discuss here would be off topic the WHO skipped Nu and Xi and used Omicron, reported here by the same publication: 

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/omicron-variant-meaning-greek-alphabet-b1965952.html

Edited by samtam

9 hours ago, Puccini said:

I always think it's more honest to take things into context, date, and time, rather than create a narrative that suits your particular brand of pedantry. There are two different dates relating to the The Independent articles.  But hey, ho, whatever makes your day.

This thread is right up your alley:

Sharpen your red pencil, and get marking those scores.

On 12/2/2021 at 6:53 AM, sanchmo said:

The first Covid-19 vaccination in the United States took place in December of 2020. I have no idea of when they "came up with" it.

My comment was sarcasm. Check out the before and after definition of a vaccine from the esteemed CDC