Pattaya city hosts art events to encourage its tourist attraction

snoop1130

The Thai city, Pattaya, hosts a series of eight-week big events, starting from November till New Year's Eve.

The city invested 30 million baht (approx. 0.9 million USD) to arrange the event that included five festivals; Pattaya Music Festival 2021, Loy Kratong Festival, International Fireworks, Food Festival “Dern Gin Thin Na Klue”, and Pattaya Countdown.

Pattaya aims, through arranging these events, to display its potentials as one of Thailand’s destinations and the city of opportunity.

Some expat people found that the language barrier and unfamiliar Thai music styles are two drawbacks of the music festival, whereas the city's citizens, who work in tourist-dependent professions, complained that still no sign of foreign tourists in Pattaya even though the event already reached its fourth week.

logo-2.png.f828c816bd9ac3ff529f42fdbfdd944c.png
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the city's citizens . . . complained that still no sign of foreign tourists in Pattaya even though the event already reached its fourth week.

Would someone who can make a difference PLEASE address the elephant in the room? NO ONE CARES about art in Pattaya. They care about opening the bars, pubs, Walking Street and the such. SMH!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Would someone who can make a difference PLEASE address the elephant in the room? NO ONE CARES about art in Pattaya. They care about opening the bars, pubs, Walking Street and the such. SMH!!!

Government's vision of Pattaya is very different from yours. Their vision of what kind of visitors they want in the country as well. Take a trip to Penang, an open area of otherwise Muslim country and take a look at the quality of tourists there, then compare that to who visits Thailand... Pretty obvious to see why they'd like to change that.

COVID is an excellent opportunity to reset. Hope they succeed.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ronster said:

They invested a whole 30 million for all these events in total ? ????

Apart from local Thais and the odd expat living there I imagine the place will continue looking like a wasteland !

Certainly wasn't a 'wasteland' yesterday and isn't today.  Lots and lots of people the whole length of Pattaya Beach and gridlock on the roads.  Can't all be 'local Thais and the odd expat'.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, newnative said:

Certainly wasn't a 'wasteland' yesterday and isn't today.  Lots and lots of people the whole length of Pattaya Beach and gridlock on the roads.  Can't all be 'local Thais and the odd expat'.  

Who do you think made money out of all these people this weekend?  

17 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

So you don't like my idea of building a Pattaya Opera House to rival Sydney?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yeah, let's all congregate on the beach, listen to some music or watch some fireworks maybe, sounds like a sound plan to catch something nasty, shame we can't have a quiet beer or glass of wine with our meal on the way home though.

Outdoor stuff is less risky.

17 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Government's vision of Pattaya is very different from yours. Their vision of what kind of visitors they want in the country as well. Take a trip to Penang, an open area of otherwise Muslim country and take a look at the quality of tourists there, then compare that to who visits Thailand... Pretty obvious to see why they'd like to change that.

I hope they don't.

Pattaya is a golden goose for the the pseudo-puritans in power and while they appreciate its worth they see it as a blight on their landscape. There are thousands of place like Penang but very few in the world like Pattaya.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Who do you think made money out of all these people this weekend?  

I'd say just about everybody with some sort of business.  Here's an example.  Some time ago a small lot next to my condo was turned into a pay parking lot.  Never saw anybody pay to park there.  This weekend it was packed with cars.  Yes, I know.  Just one weekend and I doubt this parking lot is a gangbusters idea.  But, you asked who made money.  Lots did.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, newnative said:

I'd say just about everybody with some sort of business.  Here's an example.  Some time ago a small lot next to my condo was turned into a pay parking lot.  Never saw anybody pay to park there.  This weekend it was packed with cars.  Yes, I know.  Just one weekend and I doubt this parking lot is a gangbusters idea.  But, you asked who made money.  Lots did.

Say a lot of the Thai's came down from Bangkok to hang out on the beach, and stay for the show, then return to Bangkok after the show.  Who made money out of them?  

It's a day trip for many Thai's.  

Edited by Leaver

15 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I hope they don't.

Pattaya is a golden goose for the the pseudo-puritans in power and while they appreciate its worth they see it as a blight on their landscape. There are thousands of place like Penang but very few in the world like Pattaya.

I don't agree at all.

Penang has a special culture, cuisine, and lots of heritage architecture.

There is a there there for the kind of tourism that they attract.

Pattaya can't compete with a place like Penang on those levels.

I don't think it's bad for the powers that be to try to create new draws not related to the "entertainment" industry. I doubt they'll ever be serious about killing that entirely and no reason that they should be either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't agree at all.

Penang has a special culture, cuisine, and lots of heritage architecture.

There is a there there for the kind of tourism that they attract.

Pattaya can't compete with a place like Penang on those levels.

I don't think it's bad for the powers that be to try to create new draws not related to the "entertainment" industry. I doubt they'll ever be serious about killing that entirely and no reason that they should be either.

If I wanted Culture, cuisine and heritgae in Thailand, I'd head to Chiang Mai or Bangkok with there numerous Wats, street food markets and long history. Pattaya offers none of that which is why its pretty unique. Kill Pattaya and you kill a lot of tourism. Love it or hate it, its a magnetic draw for all types.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 4:47 AM, tomazbodner said:

Expatriate yourself in Afghanistan

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Cheap eats.  

Not that cheap at least for Thais. Go to Fuji with a family of 4 or five, have some dishes and then look at the bill.

The Roof Top Terrasse on Friday evening was packed with Thais too. Not what I would call "cheap eats"

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

If I wanted Culture, cuisine and heritgae in Thailand, I'd head to Chiang Mai or Bangkok with there numerous Wats, street food markets and long history. Pattaya offers none of that which is why its pretty unique. Kill Pattaya and you kill a lot of tourism. Love it or hate it, its a magnetic draw for all types.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

they are trying to rebrand pattaya, the type of tourism they will kill there will be mainly sex tourism, and frankly good riddance. but the rebranding will only work if they work positively in removing the establishments that cater for the sex tourist and replace them with establishments that non-sex tourists will enjoy. there is certainly a market gap for the contemporary arts in thailand, if done properly there is an opportunity for pattaya.

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Say a lot of the Thai's came down from Bangkok to hang out on the beach, and stay for the show, then return to Bangkok after the show.  Who made money out of them?  

It's a day trip for many Thai's.  

Certainly some did come just for the day, as did many locals.   But they likely had to eat a couple meals and maybe do some shopping while they waited for the fireworks in the evening.  With all the hotel rooms I saw lit up, many stayed for the weekend to watch both shows.  Didn't get to T21 but Central was pretty busy on Sunday.   If you went into Pattaya I think you would agree it was quite busy Friday thru Sunday.  I know, next you'll say they all brought their own food with them and nobody bought a single thing while they were here so the whole event was a waste.  But, that wasn't my observation.  

15 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Of course they are trying to rebrand Pattaya but why ? My point is that there are plenty of other places to visit in Thailand. Why don't they "upgrade" Bang Saen or Rayong ? Whats so special about Pattaya other than the "sex tourist" connection.

Pattaya is a dump. The beach is awful, it suffers from constant flooding (despite numerous attempts to fix it) and suffers corruption at the higest level - its just not a very nice place to visit. They can rebrand it as much as they want, they can remove the prostitution, bars and night life but it still won't atttract the high-end tourist that they are seeking - Unless they turn it into a Macau.

I am one of those "quality" tourists that they seek given my income but I enjoy sitting in some seedy bars drinking myself silly and there are a lot of us of similar ilk.

Thailand CAN have it's cake and eat it if it can get beyond it's obsession of rebranding Pattaya. You have to ask yourself WHY do people come to this <deleted>show

I can't really argue with what you say, I've lived in Pattaya for 10 years and visited here for many years prior to retiring, the place could do with a coat of paint and a tidy up no argument there, but I can get the food I like, the locals ( most of them ) speak reasonable English, and loads of other things I can't be bothered to list.

It suits me, I haven't been to a girly bar in donkeys yonks, why bother ? I have a lovely lady at home, we've been together for over 10 years, I'm happy, relaxed & enjoying life with her, nothing wrong with that. ????????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I can't really argue with what you say, I've lived in Pattaya for 10 years and visited here for many years prior to retiring, the place could do with a coat of paint and a tidy up no argument there, but I can get the food I like, the locals ( most of them ) speak reasonable English, and loads of other things I can't be bothered to list.

It suits me, I haven't been to a girly bar in donkeys yonks, why bother ? I have a lovely lady at home, we've been together for over 10 years, I'm happy, relaxed & enjoying life with her, nothing wrong with that. ????????

I drink in the same bar in Soi Honey while I am in Pattaya. Mrs Chelseafan is a good friend of the bar owner so she gets to natter while I watch the world go by. I like the fact that each night can be totally random, some nights are quiet, others are manic but most of all, I enjoy people watching,

I've met some good friends over the years (I've also met some idiots). Having said all that, my days of spending all my vaction time bar hopping in Pattya are long gone and what I enjoy even more is spending time with her family in the jungles of Korat. Probably a sign I'm getting old ????

I used to dream of living on the dark side but now I want the peace and quiet which is why we're building our house far far away from the maddening crowd.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1