New Covid-19 variant with high number of mutations sparks travel bans and worries scientists

gargamon

And you thought it was over...

----------

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/africa/new-covid-variant-discovered-south-africa-b11529-intl/index.html

(CNN)The discovery of a new and potentially more transmissible coronavirus variant by South African health authorities has sparked a forceful reaction across the world with a number of countries banning travelers from several southern African countries.

Currently known as B.1.1.529, the newly identified variant has now been detected further afield in Botswana, Hong Kong and Belgium.

It appears to be spreading rapidly in parts of South Africa and scientists are concerned that its unusually high number of mutations could make it more transmissible and result in immune evasion.

I have a terrible feeling my holiday in 15 days time is about to be ruined ????????????, no one has yet any clear information or data to say it's bad or not, yet countries like my own are blocking others, and we for sure with several flights landing per day will have it, followed by telling the world we have it and getting blocked ourselves.????

Edited by UKPaul67
Typing errors

7 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

it is said to be less dangerous too, so maybe better for it to spread and take over,

probably a bit early to be sure,

Fingers crossed!  It is a general observation that, once established, viruses do tend to become less dangerous as they evolve.