Antigen replacing PCR means what for Test & Go?

As my family is booked to arrive December 28, I’m interested in knowing what this change means. From what I’ve read so far, the change from a PCR to an antigen test mostly means the test results should be available almost immediately. Perhaps the Test & Go package price will be reduced, but other than this, I don’t see much difference. My family already planned to stay at the hotel until December 30. They arrive at 00:05 on the 28th and want some time to adjust before traveling down south.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

The Antigen (rapid) test is on arrival in Thailand, from/after 16 Dec 2021.

That is for the sandboxes. 

For test and go it is December 1st from what I have read.

Edit: Went to the new article a little while ago and it now says this.

"** The CCSA initially announced the new measures would be in place from Dec 1st. However, the CCSA has since released an update to say the new measures are from Dec 16th. This post has been updated to reflect the change. "

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks Joe, ultimately for arrivals at Suvarnabhumi:

- Now to 15 Dec - current 'Thailand Pass - 1 night booked hotel including full PCR test.

- From 16 Dec - new system, what it's called wait and see. PCR test replaced by rapid Antigen test. Where the Antigren test is conducted and whether booked 1 night hotel needed; wait and see.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be allowed at any airport that has international arrivals when it starts.

So you think, get tested at the airport and wait 15 minutes for the results. If negative, go on your merry way wherever you want to go. If positive, be sent to a hospital until you test negative.

3 minutes ago, donx said:

So you think, get tested at the airport and wait 15 minutes for the results. If negative, go on your merry way wherever you want to go. If positive, be sent to a hospital until you test negative.

I am not sure where it will be done. There is still not enough info yet. But it would make sense for the antigen test to be done at the airport.

My reply was to post that only mentioned Suvarnabhumi airport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is for the sandboxes. 

For test and go it is December 1st from what I have read.

Edit: Went to the new article a little while ago and it now says this.

"** The CCSA initially announced the new measures would be in place from Dec 1st. However, the CCSA has since released an update to say the new measures are from Dec 16th. This post has been updated to reflect the change. "

Nope - antigen test is for Test & Go starting 16th December

Presumably there will be a requirement to "stay at" or at least use an hotel that offers private airport pick up, to fulfil this criteria :

"Furthermore, people arriving as part of the Test & Go scheme will only need to book transportation to their hotel of choice and take an ATK test. "

Unless. of course. Grab have an up-coming arrangement with Thailand Pass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donx said:

Did the antigen APK for daughter, result came in 2 minutes. To do the test on plane before landing would be the best.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Before departing for Thailand the passenger must have the full PCR test, conducted in the departure country, time gap swab to boarding not more than 72 hrs for some arrival countries and not more than 48 hrs for some other arrival countries. 

Is the time gap swab to boarding not more than 72 hours or RESULT of swab to boarding not more than 72 hours ?

11 minutes ago, Irate priest said:

Is the time gap swab to boarding not more than 72 hours or RESULT of swab to boarding not more than 72 hours ?

It is 72 hours from the date the result is done.

From the Thailand Pass site.

"Obtain a negative COVID-19 test result (RT-PCR), issued within 72 hours before travelling"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 72 hours from the date the result is done.

From the Thailand Pass site.

"Obtain a negative COVID-19 test result (RT-PCR), issued within 72 hours before travelling"

Thank you it would be too tight a window otherwise especially if relying on the postal service

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Did the antigen APK for daughter, result came in 2 minutes. To do the test on plane before landing would be the best.

But might not be easy to get a hundred airlines to agree to conducting this process, creating and lodging test reports etc.

Plus I guess every person should be tested using the same tests. Again quite some administration work to continuously send/organize delivery to a hundred or more different departure locations, all within an expiry date, all in perfect order etc.  And who disposes of the finished test materials?

Perhaps all of the above means that Thailand would have to pay a fee for doing all of the above on all incoming flights. All creating more admin. work.

Perhaps easier to do it in a structured process on arrival at swampy?

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But might not be easy to get a hundred airlines to agree to conducting this process, creating and lodging test reports etc.

Plus I guess every person should be tested using the same tests. Again quite some administration work to continuously send/organize delivery to a hundred or more different departure locations, all within an expiry date, all in perfect order etc.  And who disposes of the finished test materials?

Perhaps all of the above means that Thailand would have to pay a fee for doing all of the above on all incoming flights. All creating more admin. work.

Perhaps easier to do it in a structured process on arrival at swampy?

What you say makes sense. I recently flew in through BKK from US and the Thai Pass process was flawless. They had ample people working to keep a full plane of people moving smoothly through the airport. I'm sure they could streamline the covid testing process as well.

All these threads re opening up of Thailand and including trips back to home country for visit right through to threads about covid extensions need to have an asterisk added. 

Things could change very quickly.

Even today a state in Oz closed its borders to another state due to covid case of possible new strain from Africa. 

That's not scaremongering. Sadly it's fact.

Things may change in a blink..

• Haha 1

Antigen replacing PCR means what for Test & Go?

The savings of a few thousand THB...well, unless they jack the price of an 120 THB Antigen test upwards of 1200 THB.  That's not unheard of and Thai courts have affirmed it's not medical discrimination as rich foreigners can afford to pay 2x to 10x what a Thai pays.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

On and after 16 Dec it all changes; PCR test on arrival dropped, rapid Antigen test on arrival applies. Where the rapid Antigen test will be performed and how 1 night hotel fits into the story is still a little cloudy, hopefully all clarified soon.

I've read that the antigen test must be done at the hotel which is ridiculous.

Why do we need to pay transport fee to the hotel and get our antigen test at the airport? Why not at the airport?

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is still not all clear yet on some points when entering for the test and go.

The pre travel test will still need to be a RT-PCR test. Then on or after arrival the test will be the ATK antigen test. What is not clear is where you do the PTK test. The info states a stay in a AQ or STH++ hotel is not required anymore.

They should say what happens If you have been in close contact on the plane with someone tested positive.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Irate priest said:

Thank you it would be too tight a window otherwise especially if relying on the postal service

"Postal service".

Surely anybody would be expecting their test results by SMS or attached to an e.mail. If a paper copy is needed, print the e.mail attachment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

"Postal service".

Surely anybody would be expecting their test results by SMS or attached to an e.mail. If a paper copy is needed, print the e.mail attachment.

" Postal service "

You can swab yourself and post it off I would expect test results by e.mail