What’s at stake in Thailand’s nationwide local elections on Sunday

webfact

10 hours ago, fgmr said:

Anyone who has lived in rural areas of Thailand knows that none of these elections are without bribery and corruption. Votes could be bought for as littlle as 200 baht. The winners of these elections are usually from the largest locally extended family or the richest. Vote buying is endemic and a complete culture change is required to alter this situation. 

Who are the real winners?

Generally true, but missus just messaged me about 30 minutes ago to tell me that her brother, who ran in this election for the first time, won in our village. He had no trucks, no music and bought no votes. I am astonished he beat the other candidates! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, djayz said:

Generally true, but missus just messaged me about 30 minutes ago to tell me that her brother, who ran in this election for the first time, won in our village. He had no trucks, no music and bought no votes. I am astonished he beat the other candidates! 

This truer and common adage almost always trumps the usual stodgy stereotypes as it pertains to local elections and whatnot. 

As I know and have known numerous local [and winning successfully] political candidates that come from good character and everyday lives - as part of the broader familiar community. 

The old school methods of local campaigning are starting to wane greatly, as the local populations don't find it necessary to follow the cycle of Mafia-like presence as it once was. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, Doctor Tom said:

6'30 am every morning. Its driving me and my dogs demented. Water off a ducks back to my g/f. I don't even think that she even notices, but she somehow always  does when I play AC/DC at full chat. 

So you don't mind disturbing others with your noisy dogs and love of AC/DC.... but complain still?

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2021 at 7:14 PM, fgmr said:

Votes could be bought for as littlle as 200 baht. The winners of these elections are usually from the largest locally extended family or the richest.

That is what seemed would happen here as usual but this time the regular guy won by a large margin. I bet the rich guy is <deleted>.