What’s at stake in Thailand’s nationwide local elections on Sunday

webfact

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMhwUmpZMBngruCyaSIBpxV1JteLI.jpg

The first nationwide elections of all 5,300 sub-district administrative organizations (SAO) since the 2014 military coup take place this Sunday (Nov 28).

This will be the first election in eight to 10 years for many SAOs, with their last vote held at least a year before the coup.

The post-coup junta suspended all political activity, meaning elected chief executives of local administrations remained in their posts long after their four-year terms ended.

Sunday will see the third nationwide election of local administrative organizations since the junta’s ban on politics was lifted.

The first came last December, when chief executives and members of provincial administrative organizations (PAO) were elected in all provinces, except Bangkok. Then, March saw elections of 2,472 municipal councils across the country.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/whats-at-stake-in-thailands-nationwide-local-elections-on-sunday/

Logo-top-.png

19 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

does this mean a booze ban?

Yes from 6PM this evening   just confirmed at my local BigC     so you have about  one minute untill 2 pm   and then  from 5pm to 6pm this evening to stock up !!!!

2 hours ago, johng said:

Yes from 6PM this evening   just confirmed at my local BigC     so you have about  one minute untill 2 pm   and then  from 5pm to 6pm this evening to stock up !!!!

No worries my local M&P shop is very obliging, and only 100 yards from my home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

<deleted>.....  out to shop

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I would vote for anyone who didn't have a van going around with a 120dB sound system telling me to vote for them.

Over recent years, there seems to be a gradual change in the appearance of official promotion/campaign posters.....and the widening acceptance of candidate's pics as smiling and familiar everyday folks, replacing the standard look and practiced depictions of said candidates as stern military clad mafia bosses and the like. ????

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The first nationwide elections of all 5,300 sub-district administrative organizations (SAO) since the 2014 military coup take place this Sunday (Nov 28).

Must have been the Democracy Summit pushed them over the edge 555

'What’s at stake in Thailand’s nationwide local elections on Sunday?'  A bigger piece of the local pie.  Why else would thousands be expended on plastic notices obscuring Traffic junctions?  Why else would fleets of speaker vans be allowed to hold up traffic adding to the pollution?  (that NONE of the successful candidates will do anything about.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

#Me too, but unfortunately we aliens cannot vote...????

6'30 am every morning. Its driving me and my dogs demented. Water off a ducks back to my g/f. I don't even think that she even notices, but she somehow always  does when I play AC/DC at full chat. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

6'30 am every morning. Its driving me and my dogs demented. Water off a ducks back to my g/f. I don't even think that she even notices, but she somehow always  does when I play AC/DC at full chat. 

Easily understood ????

• Sad 1

On 11/27/2021 at 11:36 AM, toofarnorth said:

Driving me crazy . 2 days ago out having a coffee and pickup after pickup went passed , must have been 20 of them all doing about 20kph. , oh and all had the same geezer's poster on them !

No music blasting from the trucks? Lucky you. We've had this racket outside our house for the past 2 weeks. Day in, day out. What a racket!