Mandatory quarantine required again?

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

They likely won't need to bring it back for all countries to keep it out - because it will be in already and once that happens, well - there's no need to quarantine because it's here already.

You're right, but when have international travel restrictions on Covid ever been logical?

Since waaay before the Omicron hype machine even existed plenty of nations with community transmission had lengthy quarantines on arrival in place. Restrictions go up quick but come down slow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Click on the red "Urgent Announcement" button.

Yes, now 14 days quarantine for everybody.

It's just not clear if this applies only to new Thailand Pass applications and if already issued Thailand Passes can still be used, or if they will declare already issued Thailand Passes as void.

Nice welcome for everybody who thought he could make a holiday in Thailand now.

So that would mean a real 14 day quarantine stay inside your room same as in the beginning or the Sandbox style quarantine where you can go around.

Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

Just now, merijn said:

So that would mean a real 14 day quarantine stay inside your room same as in the beginning or the Sandbox style quarantine where you can go around.

Time will tell I guess.

Seems to be due to a wrong translation, I edited my post.

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Click on the red "Urgent Announcement" button.

The Thai version says 14 day mandatory quarantine for people from other african countries (8 african countries are banned). Looks like they skipped this word in the English version.

Thanks, it's big and red, I don't see red on a Sunday morning :whistling:

And it does seem to be only African countries at least for now.

Google Translate of the Thai for point 2:-

2. For other countries in the African region (Other than the list of 8 countries) Thailand Pass system will accept registration and authorization of entry into the Kingdom. Only in the form of Alternative Quarantine (AQ), it will be quarantined for 14 days at the traveler's own expense.

This what a news article stated yesterday.

"The countries are Botswana, Eswatini (formerly Swaziland), Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe.

Additionally, nationals from these countries, where the new coronavirus variant known as Omicron has been found or who are at risk of spreading it, will not be allowed to apply to enter Thailand, effective today. Those already granted permission to enter Thailand must arrive before December 15th and will be subject to state quarantine for 14 days and three COVID-19 tests."

Source: https://aseannow.com/topic/1241100-thailand-bans-arrivals-from-8-african-countries-as-a-precaution-against-new-covid-19-variant-omicron/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

That is now out of date and not what I consider a reliable source of info.

That came from the Thailand Pass website and may be an error in translation.

"2. The issuance of Thailand Pass for travelers from other countries will be limited to the 14-day AQ formality."

The info I posted in my previous post is correct.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is now out of date and not what I consider a reliable source of info.

That came from the Thailand Pass website and may be an error in translation.

"2. The issuance of Thailand Pass for travelers from other countries will be limited to the 14-day AQ formality."

The info I posted in my previous post is correct.

I might be missing something, but I think it says the same thing.  If you are coming from Africa, it's a mandatory 14 day quarantine?????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I might be missing something, but I think it says the same thing.  If you are coming from Africa, it's a mandatory 14 day quarantine?????

It is certainly not for every country in the world.

What the news article has in it is correct. If people from those 8 countries already have a Thailand Pass they can enter until December 15th but have to go into a 14 day quarantine.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What the news article has in it is correct. If people from those 8 countries already have a Thailand Pass they can enter until December 15th but have to go into a 14 day quarantine.

That makes more sense.

But I expect the country list will be updated in the next few days/weeks

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Richard said every country in Africa, not the world.  14 day quarantine mandatory.  A 14 day quarantine make sense.  Just hope it doesn't get extened to all countries like before!!!!  But it's entirely possible.  Israel just shut it's borders and so have a few other countries.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1241100-thailand-bans-arrivals-from-8-african-countries-as-a-precaution-against-new-covid-19-variant-omicron/

The Thai government has imposed a total ban on arrivals from eight African countries, effective today (Saturday), and those who already have permission to enter the country will be subject to quarantine for 14 days from Sunday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Richard said every country in Africa, not the world.  14 day quarantine mandatory.  A 14 day quarantine make sense.  Just hope it doesn't get extened to all countries like before!!!!  But it's entirely possible.  Israel just shut it's borders and so have a few other countries.

What he wrote was wrong.

Same news article I posted a link to in my post.