Thai Wife Convicted Of Infecting Canadian Husband With H I V

sriracha john

Wife convicted of infecting husband with HIV

A stripper who knowingly infected her husband of eight years with HIV should spend the rest of her life behind bars, the victim says. "I got a life sentence, why can't she?" asked the husband, who only wants to be identified as P.W. because he fears the stigma of the disease.

The case, believed to the first of its kind in Canada, came before the Toronto courts on Tuesday for a sentencing hearing. The judge lifted a publication ban on Tuesday, allowing the identity of the wife, Suwalle Iamkhong, to be made public.

"The legal system should not cover up for any criminal," P.W. said after the ruling.

Iamkhong, a landed immigrant from Thailand, was convicted of aggravated assault causing bodily harm last month for knowingly infecting her husband. The court heard the couple met at a downtown strip club in 1997 and had what the victim describes as eight good years of marriage.

Iamkhong knew she had HIV but never revealed that to her husband until March 2004 when she developed full-blown AIDS, requiring hospitalization and forcing her to disclose the illness.

"To this day I still say it, 'Why?'" P.W. asked outside court. "I cared about her, I wanted the best for her and gave her the best." P.W. hasn't spoken to Iamkhong since he was diagnosed with HIV. The victim says he is isn't divorcing from his wife until she is sentenced later this month.

P.W. hasn't had to take any the retroviral drugs yet and does not suffer any adverse effects yet.

The Crown is asking for a prison term of three years, while the defense is asking for a term of house arrest.

- CTV (Canada)

160_cfto_hiv_defendant_070605.jpg

Suwalle Iamkhong hurries past cameras outside the courthouse.

CTV

160_cfto_hiv_husband_070605.jpg

'I got a life sentence, why can't she?' asked the husband, who only wants to be identified as P.W. because he fears the stigma of the disease.

CTV

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HIV-positive stripper infected husband, court hears

The Crown is calling for a three-year prison term for an HIV-positive stripper who infected her husband, never breathing a word about her status for eight years until she was hospitalized with a related illness in 2004.

In the mid-1990s, Suwalee Iamkhong arrived in Canada on a work visa to perform as an exotic dancer at the Toronto’s Zanzibar club. This was several months after she had tested positive for HIV in Hong Kong in 1995, court heard today.

The Thai woman met Canadian Percy Whiteman shortly after she arrived in Toronto, and they married in 1997. They intermittently lived apart, but maintained their conjugal relationship for seven years until she finally informed him she was HIV positive when she lay in hospital with a related meningitis and thought she was dying, court heard.

Superior Court Justice Todd Ducharme convicted her of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and aggravated assault endangering life in January, after a two-week trial that took place last fall.

Defence lawyer David Berg is asking for a conditional sentence to be served in the community lasting two years less a day.

Iamkhong, 38, claimed that she had taken a Canadian immigration-related HIV test that cleared her as negative, which is what she believed. But Ducharme found that was not credible.

Today Whiteman, 31, succeeded in lifting a publication ban on his identity.

He told reporters that he wanted the ban removed so that his estranged wife’s name could be published. The printing of her name was banned to avoid revealing his.

“To this day what I say is, `Why?’.” he told reporters. “I blame society, the system and her.”

He called for a life sentence. “I got a life sentence. Why can’t she?”

He said when he first found out he “drank like a … fish.” He wanted to know why, but couldn’t get any answers, he said. After a week, he left her.

The case returns to court June 12 to set a date for further sentencing hearings.

- Toronto Star

HIV-positive stripper infected husband, court hears

The Crown is calling for a three-year prison term for an HIV-positive stripper who infected her husband, never breathing a word about her status for eight years until she was hospitalized with a related illness in 2004.

In the mid-1990s, Suwalee Iamkhong arrived in Canada on a work visa to perform as an exotic dancer at the Toronto's Zanzibar club. This was several months after she had tested positive for HIV in Hong Kong in 1995, court heard today.

The Thai woman met Canadian Percy Whiteman shortly after she arrived in Toronto, and they married in 1997. They intermittently lived apart, but maintained their conjugal relationship for seven years until she finally informed him she was HIV positive when she lay in hospital with a related meningitis and thought she was dying, court heard.

Superior Court Justice Todd Ducharme convicted her of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and aggravated assault endangering life in January, after a two-week trial that took place last fall.

Defence lawyer David Berg is asking for a conditional sentence to be served in the community lasting two years less a day.

Iamkhong, 38, claimed that she had taken a Canadian immigration-related HIV test that cleared her as negative, which is what she believed. But Ducharme found that was not credible.

He told reporters that he wanted the ban removed so that his estranged wife's name could be published. The printing of her name was banned to avoid revealing his.

"To this day what I say is, `Why?'." he told reporters. "I blame society, the system and her."

He called for a life sentence. "I got a life sentence. Why can't she?"

He said when he first found out he "drank like a … fish." He wanted to know why, but couldn't get any answers, he said. After a week, he left her.

The case returns to court June 12 to set a date for further sentencing hearings.

- Toronto Star

verysad to hear, but this the 21st century and there are some good drugs out there now and it does'nt mean you are going to die .who says she knew? very hard to get aconviction me thinks :o

This was several months after she had tested positive for HIV in Hong Kong in 1995, court heard today.

who says she knew? very hard to get aconviction me thinks :o

Can we presume that when she tested positive in Honk Kong, they informed her at the time? Otherwise, it means they withheld the information from her the same as she withheld it from her husband.

Sad to hear

I have a friend who has HIV and it could only be from his wife - he had her tested when she moved in with him and 3 months later.

There were rumours of a Thai boyfriend still on the scene though.

He is a great guy and does not want any blame and will say we do not know who infected who but if you look at the epidimeology there is only one source.

I am certain she did not know she had it though - 100%

Both still living very happily together - the ARV's are working well. Her viral load is detectasble and a a CD4 count not as high as a healthy person but still OK.

He has a CD4 count as high a healthy person and his viral load is almost undectectable.

It's ironic that he "blames society, the system and her" and yet doesnt seem to be prepared to accept any responsibility himself.

The girl was a stripper. One can safely make the further assumption that she sold herself for sex or, at best, had a colourful past.

If I was marrying someone like that, the first thing I would do is demand an HIV test before either marrying her or going in - how to say this politely? - bareback.

But, of course, one can't expect people to be responsible for their own safety. Much easier to blame everyone else.

Edited by bendix

It's ironic that he "blames society, the system and her" and yet doesnt seem to be prepared to accept any responsibility himself.

The girl was a stripper. One can safely make the further assumption that she sold herself for sex or, at best, had a colourful past.

If I was marrying someone like that, the first thing I would do is demand an HIV test before either marrying her or going in - how to say this politely? - bareback.

But, of course, one can't expect people to be responsible for their own safety. Much easier to blame everyone else.

Straight. "Ooh, I got HIV from a stripper I met in a strip joint. Give me some compensation" :o

The guy sounds a bit thick.

People many times fall in love with the wrong person.There's strippers out there who are not necessarily bad people.But if this woman knowingly give AIDs to this man,thats murder.I suggest the husband buy his drugs in Thailand.The price is very cheap here.I suggest he has aThai buy them for him,they will be cheaper than if he does it himself.

Let me add to that. Look at the picture of her. Not only did he marry a stripper; he married one that looks like a freakin Telly Tubby.

Love's a wonderful thing baby . . .

Remind me NEVER to go to a strip club in Canada.

Let me add to that. Look at the picture of her. Not only did he marry a stripper; he married one that looks like a freakin Telly Tubby.

Remind me NEVER to go to a strip club in Canada.

I think your assessment is spot-on bendix. Perhaps the only thing I would disagree with you on though is that IMHO she looks more like a Barbapapa. :o

He has my deepest sympathies. This was obvious deception. I wonder how she got into Canada because they usually test people before they let them immigrate.

:D:o You just need dosh to immigrate to Canada. Got criminals? Make up a sob story and ship 'em to Calalaland. And then use taxpayers' money to pay for their stay until they get English skills and a job. 555

Oh, and sympathies for this loser? You must be Canadian, Scottie.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Here's another report from the star.com

In the mid-1990s, Suwalee Iamkhong arrived in Canada on a work visa to perform as an exotic dancer at the Toronto’s Zanzibar club. This was several months after she had tested positive for HIV in Hong Kong in 1995, court heard today.

He told reporters that he wanted the ban removed so that his estranged wife’s name could be published. The printing of her name was banned to avoid revealing his.

“To this day what I say is, `Why?’.” he told reporters. “I blame society, the system and her.”

He called for a life sentence. “I got a life sentence. Why can’t she?”

He said when he first found out he “drank like a … fish.” He wanted to know why, but couldn’t get any answers, he said. After a week, he left her.

2004? What year is this?

:o:D:D

Jet, the world is full of losers. I still have a great deal of sympathy for this guy. It's not a pleasant disease to live with--oh, and no I am not Canadian, but I've been there!

Wife hid HIV ... now he's infected

Man gets court to reveal identities

She passed on a "life sentence" to her husband. Now the Crown is seeking a three-year prison term for a Thai stripper who hid her HIV status from her husband and infected him with the disease.

"She has given me a life sentence," Percy Whiteman said yesterday outside court after Suwalee Iamkhong's sentencing hearing. "I loved her. She too has a life sentence, but she must now be deterred from spreading this disease to anyone else."

Whiteman asked the court to lift a publication ban on his name, allowing his ex-wife to be identified, in order to raise awareness of the disease.

"Until now she has been protected. She was hidden by a publication ban. But not anymore," he said.

Iamkhong, 38, was found guilty in January of aggravated assault endangering life and criminal negligence causing bodily harm.

Whiteman, who now works for an HIV/AIDS counselling group, said Iamkhong came to Canada to work at the Zanzibar on Yonge St.

He discovered his wife of eight years was HIV-positive after she fell ill in 2004 with one of many AIDS-defining diseases and told him.

"I was in shock. I asked her, 'Why?' It took me a week or two to leave. I just wanted to know why," he said.

Whiteman said he worked up to 120 hours a week to support his wife, whom he said sent all her earnings back to Thailand to help her family.

The defence is seeking a conditional sentence of two years less a day, to be served in the community.

Iamkhong revealed to a psychiatrist she had an arranged marriage in Thailand when she was 15 and then a second marriage to an abuser before she came to Canada 12 years ago. Based on a two-hour interview with her, Dr. Derek Pallandi said she was a "low risk to reoffend."

The hearing continues Tuesday.

- CNews (Canada)

I like the bit where he says that discovering the truth led him to 'drink like a fish.'

I suspect it was drinking like a fish that led him to getting romantically / sexually involved with that heinous trollop in the first place.

she worked at Zanzibar....one of the nastier exotic entertainment establishments Toronto....

It's these kind of personal-experience, first-hand-knowledge, on-the-ground reports that make Thaivisa the really great website that it is... :D

wanted to prepare myself for my move to BKK :o ...that and my Univ was less then 500m away.

So he's married to her for 7 years but they live apart and only get together for conjugal visits???!!!....dont actually think thats considered married

and he works 120hrs a week!!!???? to support her!!!??? No wonder he (mentally deficient) frequents Zanzibar....

Brass Rail is way better btw.

I suspect it was drinking like a fish that led him to getting romantically / sexually involved with that heinous trollop in the first place.

:o A blue ribbon award for today's Mr. Wordsmith! (and every day....)

:o A blue ribbon award for today's Mr. Wordsmith! (and every day....)

Yes, our Bendix does have a way with words to machete through the BS, unlike Mr Greene (oops, sorry, Bendix). And Scott is still feeling sorry for this loser. :D Hey, Scott, I smoke; if I get cancer will you feel sorry for me, too?

This is better than the Thai soap operas on ch 3. :D

I like the bit where he says that discovering the truth led him to 'drink like a fish.'

:o I can't help it. I think this is hilarious. This guy is the poster fat, bald, smelly boy of soi Nana and he never even left Canada. :D