Is new COVID-19 variant a cause of concern for Thailand?

webfact

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's good to read some words of caution.  However, I also remember similar worries being expressed about Delta.   I doubt Omicron will be the last either!

Yep and yep, delta outshone itself in being the most virulent variant out there and all the worries about it turned out to be true. The scientists are now expressing similar or even worse worries about Omicron. Lets see if they are right this time. There's still a few words left in the latin phrases and I'm sure they'll get used up for future variants. They would have had even more if they'd not missed out "Xi"

The world needs vaccine equity still

• Like 1

Lots of idiots and anti vaxxers going banana's all over social media spouting utter nonsense.

Scientists on the other hand said to hold on and allow them to study it further.

Scientists unsure if it is more deadly than Delta or not and unsure if more contagious or not.

So far, Italian scientists did a small study and found protein spikes are 3 times more in the new variant, but they do not know what it actually means.

They believe it could be nothing to worry about or it could mutate into ebola type virus and as a precaution good idea to ban people from the origin until further studies could be made.

They do not even know if vaccine can tackle it or not, though Pfizer said they would need 100 days to come with a booster if needed to tackle new strain

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sungod said:

I'll believe the Doctor ( SA Medical Association chair ) on the ground in South Africa, not some random poster such as you.

Do some research on the background. Agreed. Don't believe me. Details were posted above if you care to read.

• Like 2

The world is restricting travel and making it more difficult to travel. .Thailand will now do the opposite. Ease entry from US , and for Brits, with their massive daily covid figures .. 

i can't criticise them because I don't know the answers to this conundrum. Let them in ? Keep them out ? Damned if they do and damned if they don't .

Ive just returned from a month's holiday in Phuket and Pattaya . Glad to get home to be honest . Nothing like "normal" and I have cancelled my next trip planned for January ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Do some research on the background. Agreed. Don't believe me. Details were posted above if you care to read.

If you have an issue with what I posted from the chair of the SA Medical association, suggest you take it up with her.

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

If you have an issue with what I posted from the chair of the SA Medical association, suggest you take it up with her.

I just recommend that you read up on the background of this. But seems you've already made up your mind from one doctor. Who might have vested interests.

Too early to make any conclusions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Never fear; odds are there will be a new virus coming along in the near future. The bio-tech industry will never be starved for work.

Since 1980, viruses have been coming fast and furious. It isn't just better detection methods; it is actual numbers.  This has not gone unnoticed by the bio-tech industry, hence the buildup.

HIV, SARS, MERS, Avian Flu, Swine Flu, West Nile, Ebola, Covid.....all since 1980, at least in widespread infection rates. Globalization has been a boon to the world of viruses, sending them fast, far and wide.

Time to stop humans moving aimlessly around the world.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The doctor in South Africa doesn't know the answers to these questions yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/28/omicron-covid-variant-britain-southern-africa

Scientists are waiting on three pieces of data before they will be able to tell what effect this new variant will have over the next six to 12 months. The first is how infectious Omicron is.

The second thing scientists are waiting for is data showing the impact of this new variant on health outcomes – both in terms of hospitalisations and deaths.

The third and most concerning piece of data is the potential for Omicron to erode the immunity afforded by vaccines.

• Like 1

All countries need to be concerned not just Thailand.  Some people say Covid is a conspiracy to make money by different countries, drug companies, and others.  But if these same people caught Covid and had to be put on a ventilator and medically induced coma.  If they survived they would cry how they should have taken the vaccine.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Several ways this could go, one of them even being a positive.

1) Omicron could be easily spread and deadly

2) Omicron could be easily spread and about as deadly as existing variants

3) Omicron could be easily spread and less deadly than other variants.

#3 is the best case, as a fast-spreading variant that isn't deadly could bring about the end of Covid, as its ability to spread quickly allows it to overwhelm the other variants. So far the evidence suggests Omicron spreads faster than Delta. Unknown still is how virulent---or not---it is.

I hope Omicron will read it,????

A post commenting on moderation has been removed, along with a social media video from a disallowed source.

Please see the forum's policy on social media content:

Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

25 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I just recommend that you read up on the background of this. But seems you've already made up your mind from one doctor. Who might have vested interests.

Too early to make any conclusions.

I've read everything on here, I actually stated in my first post it was a case of wait and see, but you choose to ignore that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/covid-variant-threat-worldwide-scramble-81417682

Worried scientists in South Africa are scrambling to combat the lightning spread across the country of the new and highly transmissible omicron COVID-19 variant as the world grapples with its emergence.

In the space of two weeks, the omicron variant has sent South Africa from a period of low transmission to rapid growth of new confirmed cases. The country’s numbers are still relatively low, with 2,828 new confirmed cases recorded Friday, but omicron’s speed in infecting young South Africans has alarmed health 

Did the Thai government think about shutting down flights from Africa yet? Or are they going to wait until we are all infected?

Just now, vandeventer said:

Did the Thai government think about shutting down flights from Africa yet? Or are they going to wait until we are all infected?

Did it already.... not all of Africa. 

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, huangnon said:

If Covid disappears, where do these new start-ups and vaccine / testing kit manufacturing plants (and all the investment billions) go?

to the next pandemic   ...  spanish flu to  aids to covid to 

23 minutes ago, fuehrio said:

At the moment it seems the new variant is highly transmissable but quite harmless which makes sense. If it replaces the Delta Variant, which it should, then this could be a very positive game changer.

That is not being reported at all.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sungod said:

I've read everything on here, I actually stated in my first post it was a case of wait and see, but you choose to ignore that.

You said it was mild based on a report by one doctor seeing a few patients a day.

• Like 1