uk personal tax account

chang50

Hi guys

Has anyone had problems recently signing into their UK HMRC personal tax accounts online using government gateway?I have tried twice today and not received an access code on both designated phone numbers either time and the messages sent to me by email when I reported this are clear as mud.Maybe I need to use the Verify method but I am unsure where to start.Any advice would be appreciated.

Just now, Orinoco said:

I talked to the DWP the other day as paid a voluntary pension payment back in April, still not updated, was told wait 2 more months !!!!!!!!!!!

oh well.

That's terrible tho' I'm not surprised I made a payment in July and it only showed up 2 weeks ago...Complete shambles.

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

ok i will try again. what phone net work are you on ?

I have a UK phone number vodaphone, but if you have used AIS before and it worked it should now, as posted above looks like AIS issue, hopefully only temporary

Edited by howerde
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, howerde said:

I have a UK phone number vodaphone, but if you have used AIS before and it worked it should now, as posted above looks like AIS issue, hopefully only temporary

Thanks..Hoping it is just an AIS issue

16 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Maybe HMRC, have turned the service off as we don't count any more .!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL ( dirty expats)

Beginning to doubt it is an AIS problem as my second number is receiving other messages so it looks like a HMRC issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Had this problem since last week. No SMS to my usual mobile number (AIS) so I changed to my wife's (also AIS) and no joy there either. AIS told me that they'd checked for incoming foreign SMSs on my account for a period of 12 hours before I last attempted to get an SMS and they said none had been sent even though I'd made numerous attempts in that time. Calling the HMRC Online Help Desk, they suggested using Post Office Verify but that wouldn't verify my passport. BTW since they use HM Passport Office for verification, how the hell does that happen? Is my passport invalid, a forgery even!?

Eventually I installed Microsoft Authenticator app. on my phone and after a lot of messing about, much of which was hit-and-miss, I eventually logged in successfully and now no longer need SmSs.

Is it a coincidence that recently Thai phone service providers have been told to block spam/scam messages? Maybe there's a connection there. I have no idea.

While i didn't get an SMS from HMRC, I DID get them easily from PO Verify. Both are UK origin. I've asked a UK mate to SMS me but he's still in bed.

No idea where the fault lies but, for me, it's no longer relevant.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Doctor Tom said:

well  that s another reason to delay doing my self assessment, as if I need another excuse. I always promise myself that I will do it over summer and I always end up doing it late December. 

Jan 14 for me.  LOL

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Had this problem since last week. No SMS to my usual mobile number (AIS) so I changed to my wife's (also AIS) and no joy there either. AIS told me that they'd checked for incoming foreign SMSs on my account for a period of 12 hours before I last attempted to get an SMS and they said none had been sent even though I'd made numerous attempts in that time. Calling the HMRC Online Help Desk, they suggested using Post Office Verify but that wouldn't verify my passport. BTW since they use HM Passport Office for verification, how the hell does that happen? Is my passport invalid, a forgery even!?

Eventually I installed Microsoft Authenticator app. on my phone and after a lot of messing about, much of which was hit-and-miss, I eventually logged in successfully and now no longer need SmSs.

Is it a coincidence that recently Thai phone service providers have been told to block spam/scam messages? Maybe there's a connection there. I have no idea.

While i didn't get an SMS from HMRC, I DID get them easily from PO Verify. Both are UK origin. I've asked a UK mate to SMS me but he's still in bed.

No idea where the fault lies but, for me, it's no longer relevant.

You could have used the HMRC app as well?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Yes, realised I'd forgotten to mention that. Corrected now.

Another hassle (sigh!) I'll probably install the HMRC app. later as I like to do semi regular checks all is ok.Luckily my last voluntary NI  payment was showing last time I looked.

28 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

well  that s another reason to delay doing my self assessment, as if I need another excuse. I always promise myself that I will do it over summer and I always end up doing it late December. 

Unusually for me, I filed my self assessment last week. I normally see no good reason to file it before 23:59hrs on 31st January but had more time recently. 

I did get login code by AIS no problem. 

Edited by soi3eddie

29 minutes ago, pattaya1234was said:

I had this problem a few months back.  I emailed HMRC and eventually was allowed to speak to a real person. I was asked who my provider was and I told them it was DTAC. After a week or so I had an email from them telling me that they had been in touch with DTAC and that DTAC were receiving the access codes but not passing them on. HMRC told me that other providers were doing the same thing. Anyway from that moment on I have had no problem in getting access codes. So the problem lies here in Thailand.

I hope that helps  

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Got the same problem with True as well, so I guess there's a technical problem with HMRC or with international lines.

You have  'liked' my post but do not seem to have read it! I was not stating an opinion I was stating ' fact'.  So no need for any guessing?

• Confused 1

I downloaded the HMRC app today but the first time you log on you need the access code.  It never arrived.  I'm om DTAC.

If you can't get an access code you can use two out of three options to confirm your ID.  1st is your passport, second is something to do with your credit card, or perhaps credit rating and the third is a Northern Ireland driving license.  I only qualify for the passport check and one out of three isn't good enough so I won't bother.