A 10,000-baht reward offered to people who report traffic law violators, during the New Year’s “7 Dangerous Days” holiday

webfact

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

At first I put this down to my  usual thought of the police wanting others to do their work. And of course many will deride the snitches, weasels, finks, rats, etc, but if it means I can ride through the green light feeling safer on my bike.....good!

do you feel safer 

In my experience the cops don't know what the traffic laws are any more than most of the drivers here, or i they do can dismiss them just as easily as not applying. We were once hit by a bike being ridden on completely the wrong side of the road, Police said it was ok to do it, claimed he was overtaking, when pointing out it's illegal within 30 yards of a junction he said well it's not a real junction, with bits of bike and car right at the junction spot. Even if they get the evidence they are not compelled to do anything.

• Like 2

What do you do when the actual national police force is as useless as a pustule on your bum?

That's right... you ask the general public to do the policing, promising them a cash reward PER reported offender that closely approaches the monthly salary of a police lance corporal. 

2 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

That's right... you ask the general public to do the policing, promising them a cash reward PER reported offender that closely approaches the monthly salary of a police lance corporal. 

The 10k isn't per case, but the maximum total.

According to the article last time they promised 20k. They got 36 videos with verified infractions, they paid out a totel of 2k, so about 60 baht per recorded infraction.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police today, November 30th, announced a 10,000-baht reward for the public who captured traffic violators and reported to relevant officials during the New Year’s “7 Dangerous Days” holiday period.

Why not give 10K baht to the police so they will do their job. If the police knew they would get 10K for actually practicing law enforcement, traffic violations would be dramatically reduced.

Offering 10K to the general public is basically outsourcing law enforcement and encouraging anyone with a cell phone to rat on their fellow citizens. 

It also sounds like another devious plan by the RTP to avoid doing police work.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police today, November 30th, announced a 10,000-baht reward for the public who captured traffic violators and reported to relevant officials during the New Year’s “7 Dangerous Days” holiday period.

Why not just employ more police capable of carrying out their supposed tasks competently ...............LOL

6 hours ago, thailand49 said:

" In Pattaya, Darkside on a Soi like Nernpludwan I can place a camera and make a mint there are hundred/thousand of violation

"What type of school does these leaders come out from? [sic].

Perhaps they came from the type of school that produced an ability to read?!...

"...this was primarily a “prize giveaway” and not every traffic violation reported would lead to a cash payout...".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I will just sit on one corner with my telephoto and shoot licence plates of cars in the middle when the light is red. I can get probably 2 to 4 each cycle. That's 100s per hour. 

Lambo, here I come...

Not a chance.  While you're sitting on the corner try reading the link!

• Like 1

I could just drive from my house to Chiang Mai and back and my car camera should make me a millionaire.  So here's the reality.  You can hand the RTP videos but my guess is that nothing will come of it.  I've seen too many cops on the road who drive just as bad as the average Thai.  So 'dangerous driving' will just be deemed as 'normal driving' and nothing will come of your efforts.

6 hours ago, Trujillo said:

The intersection near my house has 11 CCTV cameras for catching red light runners. I will just sit on one corner with my telephoto and shoot licence plates of cars in the middle when the light is red. I can get probably 2 to 4 each cycle. That's 100s per hour. 

Lambo, here I come...

Lambo?....try hearse 

I remember reading a similar article a while ago and the "prize" was the in full amount payable, split between all those who snitched. This article doesn't state how the amount is payable so I'd guess it's the same. 100 snitches, 100 baht each.

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"What type of school does these leaders come out from? [sic].

Perhaps they came from the type of school that produced an ability to read?!...

"...this was primarily a “prize giveaway” and not every traffic violation reported would lead to a cash payout...".

I sense the same school you might have attended I have no idea what the hell you are talking about might be the reason majority of the time you are confused? Hope you not in the British government?????

16 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Typically Thailand! Surprised she even got this far, with the guy at least faking it. All of these are simply schemes and all for show, without action. The apathy and Ineptitude of the of this country is gross and astounding.

Which leads one to ask how on earth did Thailand become the 24th largest economy in the world? Granted, there are over 7,000 Japanese companies either manufacturing here, or with some operations here. Would any of this have been possible without Japan, it's management of the factories, or it's investments?

The reaction to Covid, the drastic and highly selective economic shutdowns, and the attempts to recover some of the lost revenue, are dramatic illustrations of the points you accurately make. A nation in reverse, no doubt. 

• Like 1