A 10,000-baht reward offered to people who report traffic law violators, during the New Year’s “7 Dangerous Days” holiday

webfact

"Violators from six cases were taken for prosecution so far and an amount of 2,000 baht was distributed to those who reported the clips, the deputy chief stated."

So in addition to the police being too lazy to do their own job, they are tightfisted when it comes to payouts.  

In all my years of living here I can't recall hearing of the police actually chasing down a traffic violator and issuing tickets like they would in other countries.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

At first I put this down to my  usual thought of the police wanting others to do their work. And of course many will deride the snitches, weasels, finks, rats, etc, but if it means I can ride through the green light feeling safer on my bike.....good!

• Like 1

Hunting down and photographing the Greater Common Traffic Violator is too easy. 

They should be offering rewards for evidence of The Lesser (and extremely rare) Traffic Law Complier.

Ornithologically speaking, finding one of the latter in Thailand would be the equivalent of rediscovering the dodo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Can farangs claim the rewards?

Of course they can but after the claim is submitted they'll be told 'Police Grass' is an occupation reserved for Thais, charged with working without a work permit, fined 50k bht, deported and refused entry to the Kingdom for a minimum of 1 year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Can farangs claim the rewards?

They will probably claim you need a work permit, and as it is something a Thai can do then you will not get one..........also, in the unlikely event they accept your claim they will implement dual pricing in reverse. you would only get one tenth of the reward............:wink:

• Sad 1

How on earth are the public going to report people for speeding and drunk driving most likely the two major causes of fatalities on Thai roads with mobile phone use coming in there near the top also but very difficult to see because of darkened windows and very hard to prove without photographic evidence 

What is needed is for the  police to actually did their jobs but they don't seem to know how to do that

• Like 1