Omicron may become dominant variant with its high transmissibility – Dr. Yong Poovorawan

snoop1130

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

The vaccine doesn't completely stop the spread and vaccinated people can still be harmed by the virus.  Highly unvaccinated countries appear to have been the origin of some of the more contagious variants.  There are people who cannot get vaccinated.  Even if someone is vaccinated, it is still reasonable for them to fear unvaccinated people, as they can do so much damage.

I don't know about anyone else, but even if I was fully protected, I still wouldn't want to see millions of people around the world continue to get sick and die, nor disruption to the global economy and mass unemployment leading to millions of people slipping into poverty.

Well yes , you get vaccinated , and then you done all you can , but you still do the same like anybody else should do , meaning , mask , keep distance , wash hands , and if all person would do same , then we will be fine . Being vaccinated does not give you a 100% rule .It is sad but the expectations of a vaccine which is rushed ( not untested but it still is speed up as fast as can be ) were like ; we hope it works 100% , which were unrealistic . Yes vaccinated can spread and can get sick , less then unvaccinated but surely not 100% .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sezze said:

Well yes , you get vaccinated , and then you done all you can , but you still do the same like anybody else should do , meaning , mask , keep distance , wash hands , and if all person would do same , then we will be fine .

Indeed.  Unfortunately, this has been a pandemic of selfishness.  Another user posted a picture in another thread of someone wearing a gas mask and receiving dozens of vaccinations.  Although this was meant to be some sort of dystopian image, it did make me wonder how things would turn out if people were actually willing to pop on a gas mask and isolate for just a few weeks.

8 minutes ago, sezze said:

Being vaccinated does not give you a 100% rule .It is sad but the expectations of a vaccine which is rushed ( not untested but it still is speed up as fast as can be ) were like ; we hope it works 100% , which were unrealistic . Yes vaccinated can spread and can get sick , less then unvaccinated but surely not 100% .

It's unfortunate.  I think a lot of people had heard of those who had already caught the virus catching it again and antibodies decreasing over time, though, so it was at least a possibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaigirlwatcher1 said:

I agree with your logic. I have tried to explain this logic to several non-scientists and they cannot follow it. The problem is if this data is confirmed later this month, then the public might misinterpret it no longer be concerned with getting vaccinations which would be highly counterproductive. 

Double vaxxed is still needed I think but the question is will boosters? It will be very interesting to see what this month brings.

Edited by dinsdale

2 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Corect, a lot of speculation in the absence of scientific data at this time.

Nevertheless, what is less ambiguous is that the current evidence suggests is that most people will need a new improved vaccine and/or 6 monthly booster shots over at least the next 1-2 years.  The problems here are the production and equitible distribution of the vaccines; and the huge demand on medical personnel to get people vaccined.   As all of us who have been vaccinated know - we front up at a vaccine site, we sit down to be registered by health support staff in front of a computer, we wait in line to be vaccined by a nurse (with a doctor close by just in case there are problems), while behind the scenes medical technicians prepare the vaccines and needles.  Is Thailand. and other countries, graduating enough medical personnel to continue this process over the next few years?  And what is happening with  the multitude of people who have had their elective surgeries postponed due to COVID-19?

If this becomes dominant and is just like a cold or a bad cold is there a need for new vaccines and boosters or is this just a money making exercise? 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Some news reports state that Omicron cases in South Africa are mild.

Some news reports state that hospitals in South Africa are filling up with Omicron patients.

so, what’s the real story?

The real story is wait until real results , i heard some virologist say , too soon , can't be true , others say , wait to be confirmed , others say it looks like less sick ... wait till results. It will show , it might be good might be bad .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Some news reports state that Omicron cases in South Africa are mild.

Some news reports state that hospitals in South Africa are filling up with Omicron patients.

so, what’s the real story?

A report from ONE doc with a few young patients has said cases were mild.  Same with a very limited number of cases in Israel.

Cases are rising dramatically in SA, along with hospitalizations.  And as we know, hospitalizations lag a bit, as do deaths.

Time will tell, but it's looking like another Delta variant.  Not good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sezze said:

The real story is wait until real results , i heard some virologist say , too soon , can't be true , others say , wait to be confirmed , others say it looks like less sick ... wait till results. It will show , it might be good might be bad .

Problem with it too soon is that because it's already spread it would indicate it's been around longer than before it was identified.

Longer than the couple weeks needed to gather data, so surely if was more deadly than the delta we would of already seen a huge rise ppl admitted to hospital.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sanookmike said:

Problem with it too soon is that because it's already spread it would indicate it's been around longer than before it was identified.

Longer than the couple weeks needed to gather data, so surely if was more deadly than the delta we would of already seen a huge rise ppl admitted to hospital.

Some reports are saying it didn't even originate in Africa!  And for sure, not SA.  They are just the ones who found it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Some reports are saying it didn't even originate in Africa!  And for sure, not SA.  They are just the ones who found it.

Exactly it didn't just appear when they found it.. now they are actively looking for it ofc the are going to find it. Renders infection numbers kind of redundant as it could already be close to being the new dominant strain. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sanookmike said:

Exactly it didn't just appear when they found it.. now they are actively looking for it ofc the are going to find it. Renders infection numbers kind of redundant as it could already be close to being the new dominant strain. 

Yesterday an article mentioned it was in Nigeria in October, but no info where the traveler came from.

Delta Variatn, MU Variant, Omicron Variant??? Some countries have overreacted.  Japan and Israel have banned all foreign arrivals.  France will lift the ban on travelers from Southern Africa this weekend.  The reaction to the new variant is all over the place.  For the first one only time I agree with the South African President:  Don’t blame or punish South Africa just because the Omicron Variant was detected in South Africa.  

It appears the US is going to implement the most drastic measures on international air travelers in recent memory.  It has been reported by a major newspapers based in DC the following measure are being strongly considered:

1. A PCR test 24 hours before departure.  This is for all travelers(US Citizens included and vaccination status does not matter).

2. A PCR test within 2 to 3 days of arriving in the US from an international flight. Not so easy and not so affordable. 

3. A 7 day Quarantine or Self Isolation for all international travelers.  This will be difficult for many reasons.  The US has many airports with international flights and which governmental agency will actually enforce any type of mandatory quarantine?  For instance landing at LAX will be quite different than landing at DFW?  The City of Los Angeles had employees at international arrivals reminding travelers to self isolate for 7 days if they are staying in Los Angeles in accordance with a city ordinance.  But of course no city agency was actually enforcing this ordinance and the only part of the of the city of Los Angeles I was in was the airport.  No such local laws are in effect in any of the surrounding cities.  

I firmly believe #1 will be take effect quickly but #2 and #3 will take a lot time to implement.  The US has a multi-layered and at times divided form of government.  Some states, like Florida or Texas, will probably resist these measures and I foresee legal challenges ahead.  I am returning to the US in about a month and we will see what happens before I board my flight and what happens when I land at LAX.  “Wish me luck”???? 555.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

When it came to naming the new variant, the WHO skipped over Nu Xi (the next logical Greek letters) and settled on Omicron—to avoid upsetting a certain large population.   What is WHO afraid of?

The WHO is afraid of unnecessarily stigmatising a large portion of the Chinese population whose surname happens to be Xi which is a common surname. No conspiracy here. Can you please clarify that you have not read any of the many posts on this forum which explain this point...

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

46 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

If that were true, some other country would be flooded with Omicron patients. 

Possibly could be a country where they don't really pay attention to Covid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

Same in the airport you can’t sit next to anyone because you can get Covid, but on the airplane you can sit next to someone or on public transport.

Don't think the airline allow passengers to sit on the wings. It's question of allowable safety space for social distancing.

• Haha 1