Car air conditioner turns on by itself

4MyEgo

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The air conditioner does have an on off button, that said it automatically comes on when you start the car, always has, and I have always switched it off when it comes on, except of late when it has decided to have it's own mine, like a spoilt child, I turn it off, it turns it on and so we argue constantly who is going to win and after several attempts it turns off for about a minute then kicks on again and so on and so forth.

My wife looks like she sorted the problem as of today, i.e. after dropping the kids to school yesterday she rang me and said that she read on a Thai forum that it is a common problem and what one has to do it when it comes on by itself after your driving is to turn the fan speed dial all the way up, wait 10 seconds, and then all the way down, then turn the air conditioner off.

Well I'll be darned I did that yesterday and this morning it turned on when I started the car as usual, and my daughter sitting next to me turned it off and I didn't see it come on for the hour round trip, hallelujah, it appears that the problem has been sorted by the wife through a Thai forum, hmm wonder if I should let Ford know.....LOL

The auto button is right above the power button.  If the light is lit on the auto button it is on.  Just changing the fan speed will take it out of auto.  No need to go all the way up, wait, go back down.  See included photo.  No description available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, transam said:

It seems your A/C has some auto features even if the system is turned off, which means you have sensors to do this. If a sensor is faulty, then it could turn the system on when it is turned off, or the auto thingy is doing its job.

Have a read here, start at page 90...

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/P375_ICA_Australia_Print1_April2014_EB3B-19G219-ZAA.pdf

Yeah, or just tell it to turn off.

23 hours ago, rwill said:

The auto button is right above the power button.  If the light is lit on the auto button it is on.  Just changing the fan speed will take it out of auto.  No need to go all the way up, wait, go back down.  See included photo.  No description available.

On my Ranger there is no auto button, just the power button at the top, you can see it in the photo below right below the hazzard button, it is in the on position, as is the A/C and it is in the position of blowing the air forward to the passengers faces, you can see all the lights on for those I mentioned plus the recycle button at the bottom that said, if the A/C button is on when I turn the car off, it will come back on when I start the car and there in lay the problem.

What I am finding now is that if I turn the A/C button off before I turn the power button off before turning the car off, the A/C will not come on when I start the car, and then I won't have trouble fighting with it if I didn't turn the A/C button off, as it has wanted to turn itself back on, as I have found out, so now I make sure I turn the A/C button off and the power button off and make sure it is also not in the windscreen position as that means the A/C is still on, but not the A/C light, regardless if you turned it off at the A/C button on the left, if that makes sense.

2019 Ford Ranger Hi-Rider XLT Pickup