Jump to content

Car air conditioner turns on by itself


4MyEgo
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a Ford Ranger 2016 and since day dot the air conditioner will turn itself on by itself, especially during the winter morning.

 

Took it to Ford whilst under warranty and they stuck their plug into the cars system with their laptop on a few different occasions but always came back to the same matter at a later date, and the the light comes on saying cannot find mobile device to which I just turn off every 10 or 20 minutes.

 

It has got to become somewhat annoying as I am fighting with it to turn off in the morning and sometimes at night when I am out.

 

Anyone experience the same situation and or have any answers ?  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Maybe.. there is a button on the steering wheel and sometimes if my hand bumps it accidentally the air will go wild... I never feel a thing. 

I don't have anything for the A/C on the steering wheel, however have noticed in the past if my left leg or my passenger of me in front put our leg at nee height against the panel the A/C will come on, very sensitive, so I make sure our legs on both sides of the consul are not against that panel, or my passengers bag.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What do you call it Christine ....... 

regards worgeordie

No that's in the bedroom and I hold on for the ride of my life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

however have noticed in the past if my left leg or my passenger of me in front put our leg at nee height against the panel the A/C will come on, very sensitive, so I make sure our legs on both sides of the consul are not against that panel, or my passengers bag.

Well, ... There it is

 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, seedy said:

Well, ... There it is

 

No, ....it isn't, you see when our legs are not touching the panel, it still turns itself on.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

however have noticed in the past if my left leg or my passenger of me in front put our leg at nee height against the panel the A/C will come on, very sensitive, so I make sure our legs on both sides of the consul are not against that panel, or my passengers bag.

That sounds like a novel bit of fun, could do it sitting on some pastry?

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

That sounds like a novel bit of fun, could do it sitting on some pastry?

Ah they're a cheerful bunch tonight

Link to post
Share on other sites

Obvious paranormal activity. You need to move the couch a little further away from the table in the living room. 

It worked for me. 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have an Auto Button for the air?  If so turn it off and see if that helps you.

 

On my vehicles you can't turn Auto off by using the Auto button.  You have to change something like the fan speed to get it to go off.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, rwill said:

Do you have an Auto Button for the air?  If so turn it off and see if that helps you.

 

On my vehicles you can't turn Auto off by using the Auto button.  You have to change something like the fan speed to get it to go off.

The air conditioner does have an on off button, that said it automatically comes on when you start the car, always has, and I have always switched it off when it comes on, except of late when it has decided to have it's own mine, like a spoilt child, I turn it off, it turns it on and so we argue constantly who is going to win and after several attempts it turns off for about a minute then kicks on again and so on and so forth.

 

My wife looks like she sorted the problem as of today, i.e. after dropping the kids to school yesterday she rang me and said that she read on a Thai forum that it is a common problem and what one has to do it when it comes on by itself after your driving is to turn the fan speed dial all the way up, wait 10 seconds, and then all the way down, then turn the air conditioner off.

 

Well I'll be darned I did that yesterday and this morning it turned on when I started the car as usual, and my daughter sitting next to me turned it off and I didn't see it come on for the hour round trip, hallelujah, it appears that the problem has been sorted by the wife through a Thai forum, hmm wonder if I should let Ford know.....LOL

 

Edited by 4MyEgo
Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Ahh ... US designed stuff .... SOOOOOOO great lol 🤣😂😂

I remember growing up as a teenager, we would abbreviate FORD with Fix Or Repair Daily, being a Holden man, Ford people would abbreviate HOLDEN with just holden (holding) together. Jokes aside, love the ranger, 6 years on and still going strong, and as new with ZERO issues apart from the A/C, which is now sorted..

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems your A/C has some auto features even if the system is turned off, which means you have sensors to do this. If a sensor is faulty, then it could turn the system on when it is turned off, or the auto thingy is doing its job.

Have a read here, start at page 90...

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/P375_ICA_Australia_Print1_April2014_EB3B-19G219-ZAA.pdf

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, transam said:

It seems your A/C has some auto features even if the system is turned off, which means you have sensors to do this. If a sensor is faulty, then it could turn the system on when it is turned off, or the auto thingy is doing its job.

Have a read here, start at page 90...

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/P375_ICA_Australia_Print1_April2014_EB3B-19G219-ZAA.pdf

Thanks for that, however I believe I have sorted it.

 

It's standard for the A/C to turn on when the motor starts if the A/C button was left on when the car motor was turned off,  that said, when this is the case, it appears to be a problem with the A/C not recognising that you are trying to turn it off when you are trying to turn it off.

 

Eventually it would accept it to go off, but then come back on moments later and this would last for a good while, i.e. once the car has warmed up or should I say the motor.

 

As mentioned in a post above, turning the fan dial all the way up when the A/C would come on, wait 10 seconds and then turn the fan dial all the way back down and then pressing the off button appears to have done the trick, e.g. it doesn't come back on anymore unless you press the on button.

 

Bizarre, yes I know, but it works.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Ahh ... US designed stuff .... SOOOOOOO great lol 🤣😂😂

I thought Ranger and Everest were designed in Australia?

 

In both countries the default setting for AC is 'on', so perhaps it keeps reverting to on?

 

In cooler weather, like now, my wife and I end up fighting over the AC controls.  I turn it off and open the recirculation vent, she turns it on and puts it back to recirculation.

 

In the end I give up and leave it on ..... so perhaps Ford have automated this process.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Are you in Thailand?  I can't ever remember wanting to drive in Thailand without aircon.

Yes am in Thailand and it's winter here in the North-East, so the last thing I want is the air conditioner coming on in this cold, 14 degrees this morning, thankfully it didn't come on and appears to be fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I remember growing up as a teenager, we would abbreviate FORD with Fix Or Repair Daily, being a Holden man, Ford people would abbreviate HOLDEN with just holden (holding) together. Jokes aside, love the ranger, 6 years on and still going strong, and as new with ZERO issues apart from the A/C, which is now sorted..

And the one for LOTUS  - Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

or FIAT - Fix It Again Tomorrow

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...