Upgrading Electrical Distribution

pe747

47 minutes ago, pe747 said:

Spent the day lookin for the problem. Had a nearby solar plant electrician come, but he did'nt find the problem too. So, after he was gone, I still wasted half the day for looking after the problem. I found out, that the cirquit nbr. 3 in my foto above tripped the second RCD in the morning too. On that cirquit is the garage and the submersible water pump. My wife was out in the garden early in the morning watering the plants and when the level switch started the pump, the RCD got tripped.

So, most probably the garage life and its neutral were correctly attached to the second RCD and the garage door operated without fault last evening. But when the pump started with probably Neutral borrowed from kitchen cirquit that tripped the RCD and probably RCBO last night. To troubleshoot, I'll disconnect all neutrals, exept kitchen cirquit neutral and see, if submersible pump still runs on an unprotected MCB.

An other thing is the second over/under voltage protection device in the lower row shows amps 0 all the time although consumers are connected and in use. What could there be my mistake?

Humm. The fun time you are having is exactly why I found and brought in a real electrician. As I mentioned it took him a few hours to locate our problem. I had worked on it for days before that. ???? Just because the chap working on the nearby solar plant is doing electrical work doesn’t mean he is up to doing your job or even a real electrician. 

I am competent to know how much I don’t know, I have some of the correct equipment, but am lucky to know a real qualified electrician who is available for side work. Unfortunately I am in the northeast so he can’t help you.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Sometimewoodworker you brought me on the right path. Today I had some spare time to work on my problem. When I switched off the outside breaker for the submersible pump, the RCBO with the kitchen circuit wouldn't trip anymore. And when I took a Neutral from a socket of my garage to the breaker of my submersible pump an attached this one instead of the one that was connected (suppose that was borrowed from the kitchen circuit) everything worked fine.

So, my electrician just has to find the correct Neutral under the house and fix the short in the outside lighting.

Finally I'll get a baby's sleep tonight.????

• Like 2

What a nice coincidence!

2 days of continuous rain in Hua Hin, the driest place in Thailand, specially this time of the year.

So, one day below the house and one day in the attic (still hot) I found and solved the borrowed neutrals problem myself.

Maybe, to make it perfect, I shall separate the outside wall light circuit with an extra RCBO. The rainy season often leads to shorts. So the rest of the house stays on if the short will cause a trip.

Thanks again to everybody, who gave me tips and hints

Regards

Peter 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pe747 said:

What a nice coincidence!

2 days of continuous rain in Hua Hin, the driest place in Thailand, specially this time of the year.

So, one day below the house and one day in the attic (still hot) I found and solved the borrowed neutrals problem myself.

Maybe, to make it perfect, I shall separate the outside wall light circuit with an extra RCBO. The rainy season often leads to shorts. So the rest of the house stays on if the short will cause a trip.

Thanks again to everybody, who gave me tips and hints

Regards

Peter 

Don't worry, another fault is waiting to manifest itself when the damp soaks in :whistling:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...