Omicron Will Arrive, Vaccination Urged – Official

snoop1130

22 minutes ago, Joules said:

Folks are waiting for a decent vaccine.  the smart ones that a left unvaccinated don't want ass zeneca or Chinese surprise.  If the authorities want the country fully vaccinated the need to stop blocking the legitimate vaccines people want.

Smart ones? I'd say exactly the contrary.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tgw said:

what I've heard so far is that omicron causes mild symptoms - if this is true, couldn't that be a chance to instead spread it as much as possible, achieving herd immunity?

It's not been determined if it's mild or not.  We do know it's more transmissible.  And hospitals are filling up in Africa.  Covid is not something you want people to catch.  Long covid is a real problem with many. 

https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1466828284445040645

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think everyone knows that there will be new variants that will strike around the globe, as we can see the pattern: in 2020, there was just Covid without variants, in 2021 there's the Delta variant, so in 2022 there will be the Omicron variant and so on… until those who are not unvaccinated will be vaccinated, because billions out there still have not been vaccinated yet. So be ready live with c19 variants. My question is, why are all the variants are popping up at end of the year?

8 minutes ago, SymS said:

I'm not sure I can post a link here. It's the John Campbell video on YouTube entitled "Omicron good news". He talks about "Sinovac recipients may do well", but I can't remember which study or health official he refers to.

He has some pretty good videos, but remember, he's not a scientist and is a retired nursing teacher. 

Just listened to it.  He's speculating and says nobody knows.

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SymS said:

I'm not sure I can post a link here. It's the John Campbell video on YouTube entitled "Omicron good news". He talks about "Sinovac recipients may do well", but I can't remember which study or health official he refers to.

There is no hard data, just assumptions;

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/inactive-jabs-may-serve-better-against-omicron-turkish-expert/news

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The fact variants arise to me should mean learning to live with it ,not running from it anymore and not shutting everything down again.

The stark choice is between some death - mostly of unvaccinated, lifestyle unhealthy people and those 90 and above  - or even more total destruction of the economies of the world. The trade off with  non-covd deaths and starvation is not worth it.

As a slightly unhealthy person, even I still vote open up and live with it. 

Vaccinate , mask up, test where necessary, wash your hands, and get on with life 

Should we have learned to live with MERS, SARS, Ebola, Polio or Smallpox?

Your binary comparison of lock downs vs starving to death is completely false. Many countries have been either unaffected or minimally affected economically by coronavirus... Stock markets have boomed and the rich have gotten much richer.

Countriies which locked down have fared much better than countries which did not. See Australia and Vietnam.

https://www.statista.com/topics/6139/covid-19-impact-on-the-global-economy/#dossierKeyfigures

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see how, and when, the first case if Omicron is reported.

I feel like it will be found in a foreigner, with the odds on favorite being Burmese or Laotian (long shot: Botswana). And may not be found until after 1 January.

Edited by mtls2005

Just now, simon43 said:

Has anyone died yet from this Omicron variant?  Anyone got seriously sick (who wasn't already ill, old with a weak immune system, or with an unhealthy lifestyle?)

No?  So carry on with living.  I got a cold last week.......

Since Africa doesn't really report deaths well, who knows.  Sick?  For sure.  Hospitals are filling up in South Africa.  Including those who'd already gotten the virus.  But as you know, deaths lag hospitalizations.  Time will tell.

You should continue on with living.  Especially if you are vaccinated and follow the standard health precautions.  No one is saying otherwise.  This article is about getting the jab if you haven't.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/omicron-variant-puttings-huge-numbers-of-kids-under-5-years-old-in-hospital-in-south-africa

Omicron Triggers ‘Unprecedented’ COVID Surge Hitting Children Under Age 5 in South Africa

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's not been determined if it's mild or not.  We do know it's more transmissible.  And hospitals are filling up in Africa.  Covid is not something you want people to catch.  Long covid is a real problem with many. 

https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1466828284445040645

With more than 11,000 cases just today in Gauteng, that black curve will have soared well above the dark blue Delta curve by this time next week.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, SymS said:

Edit: It was just a supposition from his side, as Sinovac produces a wider range of antibodies, he concludes with "We don't know yet".

So just unsubstantiated rubbish ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

We don't know if the vaccines will work against omicron but better to have than not at all. Also we know  that the people that have been infected before can be reinfected again according to S.A. doctors.

god it has taken you 2 years to accept this, not just S.A. doctors, doctors all over the world, that is different to the news media not only that they can spread it also

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Sorry, I didn't get the memo that the pandemic had come to an end.

Straw man. He's not saying that the pandemic has come to an end. He's saying that management of the virus has improved since March 2020.  It makes no sense to attempt to restrain a virus which will come here, inevitably, if it hasn't already arrived. As the good doctor in the OP said, there's no point attempting to delay the inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1