Omicron Will Arrive, Vaccination Urged – Official

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

Straw man. He's not saying that the pandemic has come to an end. He's saying that management of the virus has improved since March 2020.  It makes no sense to attempt to restrain a virus which will come here, inevitably, if it hasn't already arrived. As the good doctor in the OP said, there's no point attempting to delay the inevitable. 

Hypothetically, if it takes 100 days to develop a vaccine and the virus can be delayed for 99 days or 5 days, or 10, or even just long enough to understand the extent of the problem is there no point? Your assertion is nonsense.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vaccination rates have significantly been decreasing for the past month and continue on slowing trend. Is it slowing because of insufficient vaccine supply or is it vaccine hesitancy?  

3 minutes ago, RBOP said:

Vaccination rates have significantly been decreasing for the past month and continue on slowing trend. Is it slowing because of insufficient vaccine supply or is it vaccine hesitancy?  

Not so sure that's the case:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Hypothetically, if it takes 100 days to develop a vaccine and the virus can be delayed for 99 days or 5 days, or 10, or even just long enough to understand the extent of the problem is there no point? Your assertion is nonsense.

And yours is coherent?

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, tgw said:

what I've heard so far is that omicron causes mild symptoms - if this is true, couldn't that be a chance to instead spread it as much as possible, achieving herd immunity?

Please stop repeating anecdotes that physicians have seen mild cases of Omicron The VAST majority of COVID cases of all variants are mild.

The problem is a fraction are not, and when cases pile up, the fraction adds to a lot of hospitalization, death, and long-COVID.

Plus the more infections mean more mutations and variants that may be much worse than the current ones. 

Edited by dr_lucas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

there's none yet.  No vaccine manufacturer has confirmed how their jabs work with Omicron.  As you know, we'll need a few weeks for this.

Nor has anyone confirmed that it won't work. Does it make more sense to presume that vaccines will or will not work?

Are you proposing that there be travel bans every few months as new variants become confirmed? That could soon be counterproductive. Who will report new variants if their country gets slapped with travel bans?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

Of course it will come. But it has shown no body dies from it, no body has to go to a hospital from it or gets that sick. So Thailand can open up and remove all restrictions. And start with the ridiculous face masks.

South Africa had 25 covid deaths, 75% of all new cases are Omicron.  They haven't sequenced the variants yet, but....guaranteed it's going to kill people.  Like delta, mainly older, sick, etc.

8 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

Of course it will come. But it has shown no body dies from it, no body has to go to a hospital from it or gets that sick. So Thailand can open up and remove all restrictions. And start with the ridiculous face masks.

If you've been fully vaccinated then this hopefully offers good protection but to say that nobody dies from it is not true.

Stats taken on the 2nd Dec in South Africa where it is now the dominant variant:

FFoTIKgWYAQprKz.png.3c1bc3bc722184d222fb048922b3383d.png

https://twitter.com/sugan2503/status/1466507046564646921

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

Nor has anyone confirmed that it won't work. Does it make more sense to presume that vaccines will or will not work?

Are you proposing that there be travel bans every few months as new variants become confirmed? That could soon be counterproductive. Who will report new variants if their country gets slapped with travel bans?

Agreed!  I'm against travel bans.  Don't think they really help.  But...since the global response to the previous waves was terrible, can't hurt to try.  If it saves even a few lives, it's worth it.

I've not seen travel bans like this every few months.  Nor seen variants this transmissible, or called VOC, every few months.  Have you?

2 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

Well, we all have to rely on experts to some degree. I find This Week In Virology to be authoritative. And they are saying, 'don't panic'.

I recommend the first 30 minutes of this podcast.
https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-836/

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/583278-fauci-defends-travel-restrictions-amid-omicron-variant-concerns

The restrictions on travel from South Africa and other countries in that region were necessary and justified, Fauci said, to give governments and populations time to prepare for the variant, which scientists worry could be more transmissible. 

“You know, it will slow things down, George,” Fauci told host George Stephanopoulos during an interview on ABC's “This Week.”

"Travel bans, when you have a highly transmissible virus, never completely ... prevent it from coming into the country. No way that's going to happen," Fauci said.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed!  I'm against travel bans.  Don't think they really help.  But...since the global response to the previous waves was terrible, can't hurt to try.  If it saves even a few lives, it's worth it.

I've not seen travel bans like this every few months.  Nor seen variants this transmissible, or called VOC, every few months.  Have you?

Philippines banned travel from Thailand and Malaysia over Delta. Then there was concern raised over whether Delta Plus would stymie the Sandbox, back in July. My memory doesn't go back further than that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

Philippines banned travel from Thailand and Malaysia over Delta. Then there was concern raised over whether Delta Plus would stymie the Sandbox, back in July. My memory doesn't go back further than that.

I think the virus was raging here then?  It was kinda outta control!

I wasn't here in July, but heard it was no fun being here in Thailand with everything shut down.  I was in Europe where things were open.  Quite nice! LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I think the virus was raging here then?  It was kinda outta control!

I wasn't here in July, but heard it was no fun being here in Thailand with everything shut down.  I was in Europe where things were open.  Quite nice! LOL

The peak was in August with more than 20k cases reported daily. It was, indeed, rather dull.
Lucky you! Some of us have been stuck here for a couple of years, not daring to leave in apprehension of obstacles to coming back.

6 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

The peak was in August with more than 20k cases reported daily. It was, indeed, rather dull.
Lucky you! Some of us have been stuck here for a couple of years, not daring to leave in apprehension of obstacles to coming back.

I had obstacles getting back.  No fun.  Got caught between COE's.  Stuck in Portugal for several weeks trying to get things sorted.  And for sure, not leaving right now!  Who knows what's going to happen over the coming weeks and months.

The scaremongers in governments around the world should try and unify their message on Covid???? Some say it’s the worst variant so far and nothing works against it, others say all you need is “ another” booster, Thailand tells the 10 million unvaccinated to get vaccinated???? So Thailand is saying Sinovac, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna etc are just fine. If you look at each country you see a common message based on the narrative that government wants to push????it’s a shame that our bodies have become political experiments????????????Before you attack me please read both sides of the political spectrum not just fake news????

• Like 1

"BANGKOK, Dec 3 (TNA) – The Omicron variant of COVID-19 will definitely enter Thailand and measures can only delay its arrival, warned a health advisor who called for quick inoculation for 10 million unvaccinated people in the country."

Provide alternative vaccines to the people waiting for Moderna then! A week ago they were promised Pfizer or AZ.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uroller said:

The scaremongers in governments around the world should try and unify their message on Covid???? Some say it’s the worst variant so far and nothing works against it, others say all you need is “ another” booster, Thailand tells the 10 million unvaccinated to get vaccinated???? So Thailand is saying Sinovac, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna etc are just fine. If you look at each country you see a common message based on the narrative that government wants to push????it’s a shame that our bodies have become political experiments????????????Before you attack me please read both sides of the political spectrum not just fake news????

What?  Nonsense.  I've yet to see any credible scientist say nothing works against the variant.  Don't post misinformation.

Political experiments?  Seriously?  Talk about fake news.

If Omicron has mild or no symptoms (so it's basically a "common cold"), that would be good news. Spreading and infecting pretty much everyone without killing them would be like a "mass vaccination" of the entire planet, which would hopefully make everyone to some degree immune to other corona viruses as well, putting an end to the pandemic.

This would sort of be the best that could happen...

6 minutes ago, Uroller said:

It is preposterous to suggest that governments are not at all motivated by the public health aspect of this virus. Meanwhile, it is no secret that the anti vax sentiment is overwhelmingly driven by the far right.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1