I bought a condo in Samui 2 yrs ago but didn't receive the blue book, can it be replaced?

Hi, did some searching on the internet but couldn't find anything specific to my situation.

I purchased a condo in Replay 2 yrs ago but didn't receive the blue book, the owner was in England but I forgot what the excuse was.  I was told by the realtor and the lawyer who did the transfer that it wasn't important for the sale. My manager has been paying the electric bill but I found out it is still in the old owners name at the electric company. Now that I'm finally back in Samui, I went to change the name on the account but the lady at the power company said I need the blue book. She didn't speak much English so not sure if I missed anything. My condo manager sent a email to the old owner but haven't heard back yet.  Does anyone know if it's possible to replace a lost blue book or if there's something else I should do? 

Thanks in advance.

choco , I'm sure someone  will reply , with more knowledge than me but I would  think the chanoot would be enough  to 

satisfy the electricity company you are the owner .

However , if not ,  I believe  the blue book ( for expats ) has been replaced  , by a yellow book - getting one of those is a bit more complicated  in that you need to get your passport certified by your embassy etc etc .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Simon Beer said:

choco , I'm sure someone  will reply , with more knowledge than me but I would  think the chanoot would be enough  to 

However , if not ,  I believe  the blue book ( for expats ) has been replaced  , by a yellow book - getting one of those is a bit more complicated  in that you need to get your passport certified by your embassy etc etc .

Thanks for the response... I thought the chanoot would be good enough too but at least the lady working that day said I need the blue book. From what I understand, the blue book should be blank since I bought the condo from a foreigner. I saw how people convert their blue book to yellow which looks like a huge pain in the ass. Not sure if not having a blue book would also cause a problem if I want to install my own internet so I figured I'd look into replacing it. I'm not a resident and won't be for a few years but would like to have the utilities in my name incase it helps in the future when I do become a resident.

Blue book comes from the land office, which should have been issued by them when you purchased the place. Turn up with the chanote and your passport.

Old house books are not transferred (like car and m/c books), they are just thrown away.

I think it costs 200bht for a house book.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Blue book comes from the land office, which should have been issued by them when you purchased the place. Turn up with the chanote and your passport.

Old house books are not transferred (like car and m/c books), they are just thrown away.

Ahhh, thanks! That's good to hear and makes sense. 

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

Maybe you have to file a police report for the missing blue book. Will of course depend on the land office.

I wouldn't be surprised. I had to do that once when I forgot to bring my bank passbook from the US. They love to do an excessive amount of paperwork here.

Edited by chocolatesound1
misspelled

Once you get it, take a photocopy, lock the book somewhere safe and just use the photocopy. In twelve years that is all I have ever used for opening bank accounts and getting residence certificates from immigration for buying motor scooters.

• Like 1

Blue books are issued by the District Office. You will need to take your passport, the title deed and also the sale contract you received from the land office when you purchased the unit.

If there are no occupants listed in the blue book the District Office will issue a new book for a nominal fee (20 baht if I remember correctly).

If there is a house master listed in the blue book you will have to go through the process to have them removed before a new blue book can be issued.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blackcab said:

Blue books are issued by the District Office. You will need to take your passport, the title deed and also the sale contract you received from the land office when you purchased the unit.

If there are no occupants listed in the blue book the District Office will issue a new book for a nominal fee (20 baht if I remember correctly).

If there is a house master listed in the blue book you will have to go through the process to have them removed before a new blue book can be issued.

I leave that stuff in my safe back in the US, do you know if they would except copies?

Thanks

23 hours ago, Simon Beer said:

Yellow book does not prove ownership it just gives the

information where you are residing 

15 hours ago, blackcab said:

My misses got a replacement Blue book last week.

All she needed was her Thai ID card and the 200bht they wanted at the local Land Office.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, Simon Beer said:

The Blue Book follows the property, the Yellow Book is just an address confirmation for aliens. You need a Blue Book for a property, and for registering electricity.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's not correct, at least not for Samui.

The Blue House Book is issued by Tessa Ban, same office that issue building permission. The Blue Book is for the house - i.e. House Book not for the land...????

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My misses got a replacement Blue book last week.

All she needed was her Thai ID card and the 200bht they wanted at the local Land Office.

No idea why she went to the Land Office. The blue book is issued by the District Office. The blue book is part of the civil registration system in which all Thai citizens should be registered. Perhaps the government offices are in the same complex?

A replacement book should be significantly cheaper than 200 baht and it should come with a receipt.

I'm not saying you are wrong or trying to be awkward, it's just that I deal with title deeds and house registrations on a day to day basis.

• Thanks 1

@chocolatesound1, you need to visit the Tessa Ban office in Nathon, the district office opposite the Caltex gasoline station. Google Street View link HERE, looking towards the correct entrance. The desks at left are for House Book registrations. Preferably bring someone that can speak Thai - they speak very little English - and your passport and the title deed for the property. The staff is very polite and helpful, and they will tell you the procedure, if they cannot instantly replace the house book...????

52 minutes ago, blackcab said:

No idea why she went to the Land Office. The blue book is issued by the District Office. The blue book is part of the civil registration system in which all Thai citizens should be registered. Perhaps the government offices are in the same complex?

A replacement book should be significantly cheaper than 200 baht and it should come with a receipt.

I'm not saying you are wrong or trying to be awkward, it's just that I deal with title deeds and house registrations on a day to day basis.

You're right, I was wrong, Tessabaan Office, no charge at all.

My woman is a bit difficult on the sharing information front.

My bad.

She just took her ID card.

The bank holds the chanote.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

The Blue Book follows the property, the Yellow Book is just an address confirmation for aliens. You need a Blue Book for a property, and for registering electricity.

Actually blue book is a document in which residents of the house/ condo unit are registered and has nothing to do with the property or ownership of it. You can own a plot of land (well, a Thai citizen can) with no house on it and therefore no blue book. 

The PEA needs a blue book in order to install residential electricity meter. The chanot has nothing to do with that.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Actually blue book is a document in which residents of the house/ condo unit are registered and has nothing to do with the property or ownership of it. You can own a plot of land (well, a Thai citizen can) with no house on it and therefore no blue book. 

The PEA needs a blue book in order to install residential electricity meter. The chanot has nothing to do with that.

Yes, and I'm fully aware of all that, but I wrote "follows the property" - self-understood house and home, including a condo - to explain the difference to the Yellow House Book, which is an address confirmation for foreigners, but not mandatory to a house.

I explained further about The Blue House Book in later post...????

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 4:10 AM, khunPer said:

@chocolatesound1, you need to visit the Tessa Ban office in Nathon, the district office opposite the Caltex gasoline station. Google Street View link HERE, looking towards the correct entrance. The desks at left are for House Book registrations. Preferably bring someone that can speak Thai - they speak very little English - and your passport and the title deed for the property. The staff is very polite and helpful, and they will tell you the procedure, if they cannot instantly replace the house book...????

Thanks again for the info, it was a great help. Picked up a new blue book Monday.

• Thanks 1