Bank refusing to provide bank statement

Bank manager is the top boss. As long as "face" of bank is safe the manager law comes 1st. Open an account in a farang friendly branch, otherwise don't expect much. 
Today we went to a bank for my CD tax return letter (not really farang friendly branch). I was told that 2019 tax has already closed and I can not get it back. ???????????? 2019 already closed !!! ???? 2019 interest was high rate. They issued a letter for 2020 only, have a nice day. 

Edited by The Theory

Why, when something like this is posted, you all start "Thai Bashing"

I would not expect banks to bother giving me records two years after the account is closed.

Certainly in Oz or NZ you would have no chance.

I have had nothing but great service from 4 of  the "Big 6 " in Thailand, far better than overseas.

If the purchase payment was so important why not ensure YOU kept records

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

For important transactions, choose you financial institution wisely.  Mine (USA) gave me records decades old.  

Banking in Thailand, 2 yrs is more than enough as what the hell would I need them for.  Besides, one advantage of being 3rd world, they do give you bank books, if important to you, how hard to keep.

"My wife needs proof that she paid for something a few years ago"

Tell her to staple the receipt to the warranty card time.  Also take a photo of and save on your computer, as sometimes receipt ink doesn't seem to last very long.  Even less than 1 yr for those short warranties, so better safe than sorry.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Almost every time (only occasional thankfully) I have not kept a cash register/store receipt, and written on it exactly what it represented somewhere down the track I needed that blinkin' thing! I commiserate with you mate. A freight company in Oz I dealt with in early 2019 has the same old paper-system they told me only recently they couldn't give me any paperwork for something they'd moved for me as it was buried in the vault just like you so it happens all over the world that organisations still do it the 'old-school' way.

16 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Try another branch 

Pointless getting yourself worked up, I find Thai banks to be helpful. 

I dred doing any banking back in Oz, horrible service. 

Couldn't agree more Oz banks are the worst I have ever had to deal with. 

Case of point.; I asked the Bank of Ayudhya out of interest by e-mail ; How can my wife access my money when I die ?  they sent back a very detailed account on what she should do, with no will involved or lawyer . ANZ when asked same question said " See a lawyer". Second case ; exchange rate was in my favour and wanted to move most money here, it can only be done on the phone if over 10,000 AUD, I was sent around in continued circles for 30 min till my phone ran out of money.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tonray said:

Nonsense. When I show up at Bangkok bank for my annual statement/letter, the security guy walks me right to the appropriate staff he knows speaks English,  and they drop whatever they were doing to get my docs for immigration

Yeah right.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Couldn't agree more Oz banks are the worst I have ever had to deal with. 

Yank banks aren't much better. 

Stopped using banks 30+ years ago.  First with credit union bank, too convenient, dd of paycheck.  Then used brokerage firm, and still do for US banking, even though I stopped trading.  Pension (company/union) goes dd there, and keep check & debit cards on accounts, while gov't pension (SS) dd in Thai BkkBank locally.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:41 PM, Velleman said:

Banks are legally obligated to keep all financial records for 10 years, at least in my country! I suppose it's the same in Thailand.

What can we do? Get a lawyer involved?

Banks where again? Oh, in YOUR country. Supposing anything is the same in Thailand or any other country is a classic mistake we all make. 

Do yourself a favor, install a scanner app on your phone, take pics of important docs, and upload them to Google Drive (or another free service). Then the oly person you have to rely on is yourself.

• 3 months later...

This has been sorted with the help of a lawyer. To the apologists like the one in the post above, i was right. Because TiT doesn't mean Thai banks don't have to follow financial laws. They must keep financial records for 5 years and be able to provide it when requested. Most banks archive these records after 5 years, you know anti-money laundering regulations and all...

Never agai nwill we deal with a Thai bank or Thai financial institution. You guys can have it. ????

9 minutes ago, Velleman said:

This has been sorted with the help of a lawyer. To the apologists like the one in the post above, i was right. Because TiT doesn't mean Thai banks don't have to follow financial laws. They must keep financial records for 5 years and be able to provide it when requested. Most banks archive these records after 5 years, you know anti-money laundering regulations and all...

Never agai nwill we deal with a Thai bank or Thai financial institution. You guys can have it. ????

I've been with Kasikorn bank since before their name change. 

Never had an issue, actually they are much more easier to deal with than the banks in Australia. 

Sounds like you may be over reacting. 

Thailand does get frustrating at times but it's swings and roundabouts.

I like the way things are going for me. 

21 minutes ago, Velleman said:

Well if one wants a 1 year extension to stay there is no choice.