New pick-up Ford RangerXLT, add shock absorber for a softer ride??

jumbo

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Can do a rear coil conversion, makes a huge difference to the pickup ride.

I'm not a car tech. I believe you.

But I'm sure that if you are a car tech you will know that "a rear coil conversion" will not turn a pickup into an SUV.

The OP has a new pickup, one that I like a lot, any functional modification will affect resale price and warranty.

16 minutes ago, blackprince said:

I'm not trying to dis you Kw, I never saw that point about chassis. I am not a car tech, but I do know that the chassis is just one component of increasingly complex car tecnhnologies.

I am not qualified to talk about chassis.

I just trying to say the SUV chassis are the same only in some cases shorter but still leaf springs and and shocks which are much softer than trucks. 

So you can get a truck on the road behavinh very similar to the SUV as I did with my Toyota Vigo.  

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Can do a rear coil conversion, makes a huge difference to the pickup ride.

Yeah the Honda truck isn't sold in Thailand because of the extra cost of its suspension and it would be import taxed by Thailand different to. 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I just trying to say the SUV chassis are the same only in some cases shorter but still leaf springs and and shocks which are much softer than trucks. 

So you can get a truck on the road behavinh very similar to the SUV as I did with my Toyota Vigo.  

I'm not a car tech Kwasaki. I believe you. To me cars are just a means of transport from A to B. But I can assure you a souped up pickup is nothing like an SUV.

One of my extended family here is a car importer, so I get to drive all sorts of stuff I'd never in a million years buy.

My attitude to cars is more like Bob Dylan's:

"I don't have no sports car
And I don't even care to have one
I can walk anytime around the block. "

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, blackprince said:

I'm not a car tech. I believe you.

But I'm sure that if you are a car tech you will know that "a rear coil conversion" will not turn a pickup into an SUV.

The OP has a new pickup, one that I like a lot, any functional modification will affect resale price and warranty.

With rear coils you will lose some payload, the conversion whilst won't turn it into an SUV (wheelbase differences) it does vastly improve the ride to be almost SUV like.

Also helps to ditch the pickup tyres and fit SUV tyres.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

With rear coils you will lose some payload, the conversion whilst won't turn it into an SUV (wheelbase differences) it does vastly improve the ride to be almost SUV like.

Also helps to ditch the pickup tyres and fit SUV tyres.

Drive a quality SUV and feel the difference.

You will also lose resale value and warranty on a new pickup if you functionally modify it.

Do I really need to keep on repeating the obvious?

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

For Tax reasons Ford built 500 short wheel base coil sprung Ranger.. something to do with the Everest.

They are doing the same with the new model, awaiting confirmation of a SWB coil Ranger with a 2.0 bi turbo 6 speed manual combo.... I will be placing an order.

1 minute ago, blackprince said:

Drive a quality SUV and feel the difference.

You will also lose resale value and warranty on a new pickup if you functionally modify it.

Do I really need to keep on repeating the obvious?

I would pay more for a coil converted pickup than its cart sprung brother, as would many I know.

but yeah keep beating that dead horse.

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I would pay more for a coil converted pickup than its cart sprung brother, as would many I know.

but yeah keep beating that dead horse.

You can beat whatever meat you chose.

Drive a quality SUV, then come back when your experience has been expanded.

On 12/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You're the exception that proves the rule!  My theory is that everyone else likes them because they're big and the drivers think that they're intimidating.

It would appear that your theory was formulated through a very narrow lense.

Many expats (myself included), buy a pickup as it is the most useful for their lifestyle. Like my life in the Western United States prior to moving to Thailand, rarely a week goes by that I so not carry a large load of building supplies, rice straw, 2-3 mountain bikes and similar. Could not imagine not having a pickup, though for longer trips to the city etc the Wife's Honda HRV is quite adequate.

The truth be known, when I moved here I downgraded to a 2wd as I no longer needed a 4wd that was required to survive the long winters in the Colorado High Country.

Very happy with my 2015 Ford Ranger, and happily accept those who desire the comfort of a city car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, blackprince said:

You can beat whatever meat you chose.

Drive a quality SUV, then come back when your experience has been expanded.

Clearly my posts are going way over your head.

This will be the last I reply to you as you can join other ignorant forum members on my blocked list.

Bye Bye.

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

No qualification needed.

A 'coil-over'  is not a shock absorber, it is a suspension strut (spring+damper unit).

Gas-filled shocks do not provide springing. They are dampers with oil, and the displacement volume is filled with nitrogen gas to prevent cavitation and foaming of the oil.  Maintains damping performance when the shock is working hard.

So motorcycles don't have shock absorbers? 

So what does the gas do in a gas charged shock absorber? 

Guys like you crack me up. 

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Clearly my posts are going way over your head.

This will be the last I reply to you as you can join other ignorant forum members on my blocked list.

Bye Bye.

The OP asked a question about whether he should fit or "add" different shocks on his new pickup.

The answer is no, unless he wants to give the dealer an excuse to invalidate some area of the warranty.

Pickup suspension is rudimentary, you cannot re-engineer a pickup into an SUV.

Most pickup and SUV sub-systems are different. They are designed for different jobs.

Figure out what job you want the vehicle for, then buy the right type of vehicle.

Don't buy the wrong type of vehicle and then follow advice on Asean Now on how to turn it into the "right" type of vehicle, obviously ????

Edited by blackprince

On 12/7/2021 at 5:00 AM, Moonlover said:

What I don't understand is why people buy a truck if what they want is a good comfortable ride. Let's face it, their reputation does go before them by a considerable margin.

I had a izuzu highlander truck.Now i have a honda yazz gt.The highlander was like a workingcar for the whole village that time.Actually i got sick and tired of freeriders.Now i stay in korat..new lady..new family.My lady dont like freeriders who we have to pay for when we go somewhere.Thats why we never tell anybody if we going somewhere.Only the family knows.

14 hours ago, jumbo said:

Can you detail a bit more?

You changed the shocks?? Were they originally included already?

You changed the springs?? From existing to??

No, they weren't originally included. We have our own aftermarket part shop so we did all the work ourselves. These are the details of all the parts fitted:

1. Shocks (front and rear): Ironman Foamcell Pro

2. Springs (front): Ironman Comfort Springs (they will lift the truck around 2 inches in the front, leveling the truck).

3. Control Arms: Ironman Control Arms

There are a few shops in Bangkok and Pattaya that sell the whole set of the above-mentioned parts, but should be around 35,000 to 45,000 baht (without the control arms) depending on the shop and the promotion they are running. The control arms can range from 12,000 to 16,000 baht again depending on the shop.

As far as I know there is no retrofit kit available for the PXIII Ranger to change the leaf springs to shocks in the rear.

But from my own experience, the car now handles much better and is much less bumpy. Still cannot compare to our Landcruiser or Accord, but it's a truck after all.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah the Honda truck isn't sold in Thailand because of the extra cost of its suspension and it would be import taxed by Thailand different to. 

Doesn't the Nissan NP300 have a coil spring set up in the rear on its top model?

4 minutes ago, transam said:

The only SUV that I know of that had leaf springs was the Isuzu MU7, that really was a pickup with a box on it.....????

Maybe the Sport Rider, 

In any event, it's the rate of the spring that's important, not how it's configured. 

• Haha 1