New pick-up Ford RangerXLT, add shock absorber for a softer ride??

jumbo

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

But for the wife, I be driving a MU-7/X now instead of the 'tuna. 

Well at least you now know the Fortuner and MU-X have coil springs all round, and the MU7 really is a pickup in disguise, including the pickup chassis dimensions and spring type......... ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SimpleMan555 said:
On 12/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You're the exception that proves the rule!  My theory is that everyone else likes them because they're big and the drivers think that they're intimidating.

It would appear that your theory was formulated through a very narrow lense.

No, my theory was formulated from satirical cynicism.  Don't take it so seriously!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Well at least you now know the Fortuner and MU-X have coil springs all round, and the MU7 really is a pickup in disguise, including the pickup chassis dimensions and spring type......... ????

I like pickups, been driving them my whole life, first one was a '53 Ford

I live outside Cha-am also and we really need the pick-up.Always building things and working in the

garden,for us a pick-up is a working tool as well as a car.

Our truck is a 2009 2.5 liter auto ford Ranger four door.

I have read all of the comments and i am surprised no one mentioned the difference in pick-up

suspensions.

We have the High Rider which means the suspension is the same as a 4x4,and it is quit a hard ride

but it has the advantage of being higher and having more clearance.

Also the wheels have six bolts compared to five bolts for lighter use pick-ups.

I never go over the speed limit and usually drive slower,part of the life style.

We normally carry a lot of stuff but nothing like some other overloaded trucks i see daily.

I think a pick-up is quite safe if you do not use it as a race car.My earlier truck was a Toyota Tiger 2003 4x4 3 liter engine auto,a great machine but the ford uses a lot less fuel and has the same power.

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah you are correct it was the Toyotas sports rider had leaf the model change to fortuna had coils. 

Just remember Toyota's Fortuna had ditched the leaf springs. 

So eighteen years ago, dang where does the time go? 

In all fairness, as I understand it the Sport Rider was not built as an SUV, but rather converted from the Hilux in much the same way Thai Rung was doing conversions.... 

• Like 1

Thanks for all advises, especially on the warranty etc. when adjusting things.

I do understand the risk involved, but replacing kidneys has a price as well..

I owned an SUV before I moved over to the Ford, that could also be a factor

I am used to a very smooth ride...

I will start with adding shocks, B-Quick, at the rear and then see how it impacts the ride

and from there decide how to move forward

I will keep the spring leaves as I noticed that the smaller ones which are the toughest

also are linked to the connector that holds the three together

In the front there seem to be spring coils..

I am not a very technical guy but that is what I think i saw...

2 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Thanks for all advises, especially on the warranty etc. when adjusting things.

I do understand the risk involved, but replacing kidneys has a price as well..

I owned an SUV before I moved over to the Ford, that could also be a factor

I am used to a very smooth ride...

I will start with adding shocks, B-Quick, at the rear and then see how it impacts the ride

and from there decide how to move forward

I will keep the spring leaves as I noticed that the smaller ones which are the toughest

also are linked to the connector that holds the three together

In the front there seem to be spring coils..

I am not a very technical guy but that is what I think i saw...

I would search the Net for adjustable rear shox on the Net for your ride first.

Then just set to soft...

B-Quik sell nice shiny gas shox, avoid, unless they have stock replacements, which may not help you.... 

On 12/7/2021 at 12:23 PM, transam said:
On 12/7/2021 at 10:25 AM, jumbo said:

What would be the best tyre pressure, I remember on the VIGO i had 31, does that sound OK?

There were differences in tyre pressures on the Vigo, and most cars depending on rim and tyres size.

My Vigo had 265/60x16 tyres, the door jamb sticker for this size tyre was 29 psi all round, loaded or unloaded. Different spec Vigo's were way different...

The recommended tire pressures for light, economy and load carrying on the Ranger are on a decal either on the drivers door below the door latches.

I run 38 all round on the newly fitted rubber which is their 'ECO' setting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The recommended tire pressures for light, economy and load carrying on the Ranger are on a decal either on the drivers door below the door latches.

Is that recommended. ????

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is that recommended.

It is one of their three recommended tire pressure settings. Light being comfort (lower front axle pressures) and load carrying (higher rear axle pressures).

Hope this helps.

YMMV

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It is one of their three recommended tire pressure settings. Light being comfort (lower front axle pressures) and load carrying (higher rear axle pressures).

Hope this helps.

YMMV

Only the one rec psi on tyre size of whatever is on the truck is what's on my door opening. 

You can find rec psi for tyres on the net. 

Tire pressure recommendations in the door-jamb are the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, not the tire manufacturer's.

The tire manufacturer is often at odds with the vehicle manufacturer, as the tire manufacturer wants to maximize tire life, and the vehicle manufacturer wants to maximize comfort and performance. 

The pressure in the door jamb is determined by testing the tires on the vehicle. 

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Hope this helps.

YMMV

Expand  Expand  

Only the one rec psi on tyre size of whatever is on the truck is what's on my door opening. 

You can find rec psi for tyres on the net. 

The OP was talking about a Ford Ranger.

I was talking about a Ford Ranger.

I seriously doubt that there's going to be any significant difference in recommended pressure between the 'stock' tire brands fitted at the factory such as Michelin, Bridgestone, etc..

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Tire pressure recommendations in the door-jamb are the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, not the tire manufacturer's.

The tire manufacturer is often at odds with the vehicle manufacturer, as the tire manufacturer wants to maximize tire life, and the vehicle manufacturer wants to maximize comfort and performance. 

The pressure in the door jamb is determined by testing the tires on the vehicle. 

That's why tires have their own warranty and are not covered by the vehicle warranty. But we're talking about a pickup truck here, not a Bugatti Veyron.

It's not rocket surgery.

Manufacturers post the recommended tyre pressures on the door jamb for you to follow for your safety.

Manufacturers at times use different brand tyres on the same ride, the pressures stay the same.

If there was a safety risk regarding psi and different brands, it would be put in black and white for your safety.

1 hour ago, transam said:

If there was a safety risk regarding psi and different brands, it would be put in black and white for your safety.

Or look up on the internet. ????

I find it strange the importants many people apply to what's after all  "Recommended" psi. 

The safety margin recommendations from memory is 6 psi either way.

Big Motorcycles use is different to cars like you can have 8 psi lower in a rear on track. 

When you did drag with your motor was tyre pressure different.?

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Me too, 38 which seems just fine.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I find it strange the importants many people apply to what's after all  "Recommended" psi. 

Big Motorcycles use is different to cars like you can have 8 psi lower in a rear on track. 

Indeed it was, but it was in a controlled environment and very scary at the end of the strip. Street was 22/4 psi rear, strip was 10 psi rear......????

My point was, as yet, I have never seen a handbook state different brands of the same size tyres need different pressures. My ol' Vigo came from factory with either Michelin or Bridgestone, same psi.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Indeed it was, but it was in a controlled environment and very scary at the end of the strip. Street was 22/4 psi rear, strip was 10 psi rear......????

My point was, as yet, I have never seen a handbook state different brands of the same size tyres need different pressures. My ol' Vigo came from factory with either Michelin or Bridgestone, same psi.

I've never seen a handbook state different brands of the same oil needing different volumes for the same engine size either. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I've never seen a handbook state different brands of the same oil needing different volumes for the same engine size either. 

The handbook advises on grades and viscosity linked to temperatures where the vehicle is used, plus the volume (cc)of oil needed for the engine and filter...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I think you run different tires on street or strip if you're at all serious. 

The reason I pay attention to the recommended pressure is because the vehicle seems to drive better when I do. If I left Isuzu service and did not notice how much worse it drove with 40 PSI than 30, I would not stop and let the air out. Of course if I was driving around a farm with the bead full of rocks I would leave it. 

That's one thing I like about about the 'tuna, I don't have to stop and deflate the tires after I have the oil changed. 

12 minutes ago, transam said:

The handbook advises on grades and viscosity linked to temperatures where the vehicle is used, plus the volume (cc)of oil needed for the engine and filter...

Do cooler countries more or less volume (cc) than those hotter countries ?