Receiving SMS from USA in Thailand

mykt3393

I am looking for the way to receive SMS from USA in Thailand for bank verification purposes.   I tried with virtual phone number but it didnt work (they can tell that I am using virtual phone number...)    

I saw the same post in this forum in the past (year 2018) and I checked with Tmobile for prepaid plan, but at this moment they only provide $40 /month prepaid plan only......    $40 /month is too expensive for just receiving SMS.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

I just recently went through the same thing with BofA....

I contacted them through an unconventional way and received a hands on returned phone call response within 36 hours....We worked through my issue & then the rep gave me 2 possible ways to work through the SMS problem.....

1 - was in their app itself....Before you accept/exit that they send an SMS there was another button on the page that said "I'm having trouble receiving an SMS on the phone".....By tapping that button I was then given the option of receiving the OTC via email = I used it & it worked....They did a couple of other cross checks along the way, but I got in and it worked....

2 - The rep instructed me to get a USB security which is like an electronic fingerprint that, when used, eliminates the need for OTC's.....I ordered one through Lazada (YubiKey 5 NFC) which is supposed to be the leading brand....

Due to the repeated dismal luck calling the bank over the years I tried a new tactic....

I looked up BofA's page on FB and sent them a message over messenger with my concern/complaint....They requested my name, zip code on the account, and phone number + time of day for them to call (8:30AM their time = 8:30PM our time.....

I dealt with Lorenzo, who called & my issues were solved....

When I get & install the key it should resolve any further security issues....

Hope this helps....

Screenshot_2021-12-08-15-03-13-55_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-08-15-33-09-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 2

I have had the same problem in the past. I have had some success in receiving verification codes with a service called GrooveIP. But now I use an app called Tossable Digits. There is a cost, about $3 per month, you get 6 free short-code SMS messages monthly and a minimal fee for additional codes, plus a phone number that can be reliably dialled from the US.

• Like 1

Before I left the USA years ago I had an AT&T number that this company ported and when anyone texts or calls that number it will ring me or leave a message on my Thai number.  I can also log on to there website called Tossable digits to view the history of my calls and texts. It has enabled me to verify myself for banking and logging into websites.  https://www.tossabledigits.com

The only really bulletproof solution is a prepaid plan that supports WiFi calling, since prepaid rarely supports international roaming.

I used Cricket, gave me a US number connected to my home WiFi, and when I needed it allowed me to get get codes from the bank via SMS.

Might not be what you want to hear, but just suck up the cost and helps friends and family contact you too

19 hours ago, Duke007 said:

I have had the same problem in the past. I have had some success in receiving verification codes with a service called GrooveIP. But now I use an app called Tossable Digits. There is a cost, about $3 per month, you get 6 free short-code SMS messages monthly and a minimal fee for additional codes, plus a phone number that can be reliably dialled from the US.

Thank you for your reply.  Is this virtual number ?  Does this work with your bank SMS ?

On 12/8/2021 at 1:31 PM, mykt3393 said:

for bank verification purposes

Which banks?

What 2FA options do they currently support (besides SMS)? For example, a security (FIDO) key?

What is your budget for being able to receive SMSes?

Are you able to to modify/add/change contact numbers without getting an SMS first?

For me, both Google Voice and Talkatone work everywhere (except id.me and some government apps), but I do also have T-Mobile (old plan, $10 every 90 days; roams here fine) and UltraMobile ($3/month) I recommend UltraMobile as it has the WiFi option which works here. Getting these SIM solutions set up though can eb a challenge.

There are quite a few good threads here on this subject.

example: https://aseannow.com/topic/1122011-expats-keeping-a-phone-number-in-their-citizenship-country-aka-magicjack-not-working/

Edited by mtls2005

23 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

2 - The rep instructed me to get a USB security which is like an electronic fingerprint that, when used, eliminates the need for OTC's.....I ordered one through Lazada (YubiKey 5 NFC) which is supposed to be the leading brand....

This works for me, here, with BofA. Although I use GV SMS as my primary 2FA.

The FIDO key is becoming more important.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2021 at 2:40 PM, mtls2005 said:

This works for me, here, with BofA. Although I use GV SMS as my primary 2FA.

The FIDO key is becoming more important.

Security keys like the Yubico keys are "slowly" becoming more important, but unfortunately very, very few U.S. banks/credit unions offer security keys as a way to accomplish 2FA.   BoFA is one of those very few banks.  Most U.S. banks/credit unions still only offer 2FA via text or authenticator app as a way to accomplish 2FA.  And some don't even require 2FA...they are still fine with just using the password....maybe call that 1FA.

Check Google Fi.  You can order a sim and port your number.

It was about 25.00 unlimited texts and 10 gigs of data.

Free calls.

Banks use short text. 

Its not SMS.  I cant get codes using my magic Jack as well.  A useful telephony for free calls to the US or Canada when traveling.

Edited by MrJ2U

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Check Google Fi.  You can order a sim and port your number.

It was about 25.00 unlimited texts and 10 gigs of data.

Free calls.

Banks use short text. 

Its not SMS.  I cant get codes using my magic Jack as well.  A useful telephony for free calls to the US or Canada when traveling.

Like most U.S. mobile SIMs Google Fi must be activated within the U.S.....then it can be used worldwide.  And if wanting a mobile service for international use pretty much just to receive a few SMSs each month, like bank 2FA codes, it's an expensive way to go

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6078618?visit_id=637748674193216571-3089381181&p=activate&rd=1

image.png.4862413615d7ec28a66306cbafa211fd.png

11 hours ago, Pib said:

More info on the UM Paygo $3/month SIM.

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/

I bought my UM SIM from this eBay seller, April, 2021. I was able to log in to eBay just now to review my orders, which required 2FA SMS, Google Voice and Talkatone are on that account for me. GV worked fine. The SMS was delivered via SCSMS (Short Code) from a six digit "number".

The Activate by date on the SIM carrier is May 7, 2022. So the shelf-life was closer to 1 year.

I can't recall the exact steps we took - I had it mailed to my son, and we activated it together, remotely in real-time. He received a link via SMS which he forwarded to me via email, I then completed the process. Then he mailed the SIM to me here. Both the UM app and web dashboard are great. I enabled WiFi Talk and Text from the Web dashboard. It works amazingly well. SMSes get delivered in seconds. My old T-Mo SIM takes ~ 5 minutes to get up and roaming here, and sometimes it needs to be primed with a call and text.

I think you activate a UM SIM with just a mobile, or via the web. https://my.ultramobile.com/paygo/activation/

The only thing we screwed up was the number selection, which we may have overlooked. Not that locale is all that important these days. I think you can text or enter a zip code and get a choice of numbers?

For the $3 month all in (state sales tax gets added when you top up) you get 100 min, 100 SMS and 100 mB,

You can use this SIM on trips back home. Not perfect, but you can add data and voice packs.

1 day (24 hours) 500MB $5

7 days 1GB $10

Voice

1 day (24 hours) Unlimited $2

7 days Unlimited $10

Regarding a port in...

Can I keep my phone number with my PayGo plan?
June 25, 2020
Yes, you can transfer your phone number when activating at paygo.ultra.me/activate. You will need your account number, passcode and billing address from your current carrier.

https://www.ultramobile.com/ufaqs/can-i-keep-my-phone-number-2/

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Like most U.S. mobile SIMs Google Fi must be activated within the U.S.....then it can be used worldwide.  And if wanting a mobile service for international use pretty much just to receive a few SMSs each month, like bank 2FA codes, it's an expensive way to go

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6078618?visit_id=637748674193216571-3089381181&p=activate&rd=1

image.png.4862413615d7ec28a66306cbafa211fd.png

I agree.

Its good if you SMS home a lot or travel to multiple countries.

I ended up cancelling because just as you said the min. $25.00 was better spent on other options.

However I had multiple foreign bank accounts and it definitely served its purpose.

While the shelf life showing on the SIM packaging may be some date a long way down the road that date may only apply when directly buying a UltraMobile SIM which you can only done at select TMobile stores. 

But the UM SIMs can also be bought from certain resellers where the SIM must be activated within X-days of purchase although the date on the SIM card will show a longer date.  The reseller has to update the "activate by" date in  the UM system before mailing out.  This process prepares the SIM for activation within X-days by the purchaser and makes the SIM unusable/worthless if stolen (and some thief's know this and will not risk trying to steal SIMs).  

So if a seller says the SIM must be activated with X-days be sure to do so otherwise the SIM may not activate although the "activate by" date on the card might be a year or more down the road.

Also during the activation process if you want a number in a certain zip code you must text GOGO XXXXX (the X's represent the desired zip code).   If you just text GOGO without a desired ZIp code then UM randomingly picks a Zip code which means you could get a mobile number for anywhere in the U.S.  Say you wanted a number in a certain Los Angeles Zip code....but if you forget to enter an LA Zip code after the GOGO activation code you could end up with a New York City area number, a Miami Florida number, a Denver Colorado number, a Lick Skillet Kentucky number, etc.

This happened to me also when coordinating with my relative to activate my to two UM SIMs.  My relative did enter my desired Zip code for activation of the first SIM and I got a mobile number in that Zip code (Houston).  But the relative forgot to enter a Houston Zip code (didn't enter any Zip code) during activation of the second SIM and I ended up with a Detroit number being assigned.  No biggie.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:12 AM, Pib said:

If you have someone in U.S. who can receive and activate the Ultramobile (UM) Paygo $3/month SIM that may be a way to go.  It basically replaced the T-Mobile $3/month SIM that T-Mobile use to offer (which I have and use here in Thailand although you can't buy the SIM anymore/T-Mobile does not sell anymore but it still works).    You can buy the UM SIM off Ebay for $13 which includes the first month worth of calling/texting.   If buying from this seller, which happens to be a Mint Mobile reseller, you must activate within 45 days of purchase.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284346097281?hash=item4234591e81:g:YIsAAOSwhZFfxSg2

And I must stress this UM SIM must first be activated in the U.S....make that initial connection to a cell tower in the U.S.....then it can work worldwide with a mobile connection OR using a Wifi Calling connection.  I have two such UM SIMs which I first had mail to a family member in the U.S. who activated them for me and then mailed them to me here in Thailand.....they work fine here in Thailand.  Although I could use them with a mobile connection I instead used them via a  Wifi Calling Connection to ensure it treated as a U.S. domestic SIM for any extra charges that may occur.  Actually these two UM SIMs are just backups to my T-Mobile $3/month SIM that still works fine.  

More info on the UM Paygo $3/month SIM.

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/

You could also get a U.S. Mobile SIM and use their Build Your Own Plan with some calling and texting per month for around $7/month (that includes all taxes/fees).  You would first need to have the SIM shipped to a U.S. address for reshipment to Thailand but you can activate outside the U.S. if desired.  You can not use it for mobile connection outside the U.S. but you can use it with a Wifi Calling connection worldwide.  And you can activate the SIM via Wifi Calling connection from Thailand....I activated mine that way.   And just in case you are not familiar with the terminology of Wifi Calling it means receiving/sending calls and texts via Wifi connection vs Mobile connection....like using your home Wifi connection.

I have such a U.S. Mobile SIM, activated it in Thailand, and use it in Wifi Calling connection mode...works fine.  Now I just use SIM as another backup to other U.S. SIMs and have placed the SIM in Snooze mode for $2.98/month...it's like putting the SIM to sleep where you have no monthly call minutes/text allowance.  However,  I can bring it out of Snooze mode back to a regular use at the beginning of the next billing cycle with what amount of call minutes/texts I choose.

https://www.usmobile.com/plans

Yeap, I've got backup U.S. SIMs/mobile numbers coming out my ears...the UM SIMs are backup to my T-Mobile SIM which I really only use to receive 2FA logon codes...I only turn on the TM SIM when I need to receive a 2FA code...and I only turned on the UM SIMs once or so a month to do some sending and receiving of texts as tests...ensure the SIMs still really work n case I need to start using them regularly...like maybe if T-Mobile ever shuts down their $3 Paygo SIM.    And the U.S. Mobile SIM is another backup that activated from Thailand....I only ordered it since it was free, having it remailed to me was cheap, and I wanted to see if it would activate form Thailand---and it did!!!....so, I'm keeping it as a backup to a backup.

Thanks for posting this.  This is really good information. 

A couple of questions: 

What type of phone(s) are you using for your Sims?  I know you need a phone with the ability to switch to WiFi calling.  If you take an activated SIM card (activated from the US) to a Thai phone shop will you be able to pick up a compatible, cheap phone that will be capable of accepting texts via WiFi calling?  I would think from Thailand you would need both a GSM and CDMA compatible phone, that is unlocked, that has WiFi calling capabilities, that uses a standard Sim size, right?   Or is GSM alone fine?  Any ideas on a cheapy phone that fits the bill as I would probably only use it for SMS sent from the States, primarily for 2FA. 

My current phone uses a nano Sim and the U mobile sold on Ebay is a standard SIM.  I guess I'm looking at having to find a compatible phone in the States that can support that SIM in order to activate it.   I wonder if that is where I might be better going the US mobile route. 

Also, all of you're backup SIMs have their own phone numbers, right?  I'm guessing that any website where you need 2FA has your primary number and then you've listed a couple of your backup numbers with them?  Or are you using other methods for backup in case the primary number does not work like an authenticator app or security token?

Thanks for any help. 

5 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

What type of phone(s) are you using for your Sims?  I know you need a phone with the ability to switch to WiFi calling.  If you take an activated SIM card (activated from the US) to a Thai phone shop will you be able to pick up a compatible, cheap phone that will be capable of accepting texts via WiFi calling? 

Choose a phone which supports WiFi calling. This can be determined by looking at the features of a particular model. Maybe your current model supports WiFi calling? Define "Cheapy".

I would think from Thailand you would need both a GSM and CDMA compatible phone, that is unlocked, that has WiFi calling capabilities, that uses a standard Sim size, right? 

GSM and WiFi yes. CDMA, no.

SIM size, contrary to what some say, does NOT matter.

My current phone uses a nano Sim and the U mobile sold on Ebay is a standard SIM. 

No. UltraMobile SIMs come as 3 way.

6 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

I guess I'm looking at having to find a compatible phone in the States that can support that SIM in order to activate it. 

Yes, you'll need a phone which works in the U.S. in order to activate it. You could borrow one if your current model doesn't work, although it should. Make/model?

6 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

Also, all of you're backup SIMs have their own phone numbers, right?  I'm guessing that any website where you need 2FA has your primary number and then you've listed a couple of your backup numbers with them?  Or are you using other methods for backup in case the primary number does not work like an authenticator app or security token?

No clue what you're on about here.

Android?

Contacts are backed up, automagically.

Some/many sites allow you to use multiple numbers for 2FA. On BofA for example I have three.

Where do you live? Do you spend time in both Thailand and the U.S.? What are you trying to do? What phone do you have?

20 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Choose a phone which supports WiFi calling. This can be determined by looking at the features of a particular model. Maybe your current model supports WiFi calling? Define "Cheapy".

GSM and WiFi yes. CDMA, no.

SIM size, contrary to what some say, does NOT matter.

No. UltraMobile SIMs come as 3 way.

Yes, you'll need a phone which works in the U.S. in order to activate it. You could borrow one if your current model doesn't work, although it should. Make/model?

No clue what you're on about here.

Android?

Contacts are backed up, automagically.

Some/many sites allow you to use multiple numbers for 2FA. On BofA for example I have three.

Where do you live? Do you spend time in both Thailand and the U.S.? What are you trying to do? What phone do you have?

Thanks for answering.  Admittedly I'm a techno dunce so bear with me. 

I'm in America now.  What I'm trying to do is setup my banking and other accounts that need 2FA verification in as foolproof a manner as possible by having multiple methods for each banking website or app that I visit.  They all seem to use different methods so my first line would be to use whatever authenticator app or security key they offer followed by setting up SMS for 2FA verification.  But not all have the authenticator or security key option yet and even if they did I think it's prudent to have another, backup option. to facilitate 2FA. 

My current plan is on Verizon and my phone is an Moto Z4.   The phone is capable to do WiFi calliing.  My luck with phones is that they tend to <deleted> out after two years or so.  This phone has a nano sim.  I'm not sure how you can get a standard size sim in that phone but I'd have to do a little more research on that.

So what I am looking to do is to setup a phone that basically only needed to send and receive SMS for 2FA verification.  When I'm in Thailand I seldom have the need to use data and I would probably have a separate Thai phone for that anyway.

I looked at the US mobile website and from what I can figure out most of there international plans use an eSim which I'm not sure would work long term.  So people are saying that this only works for 6 months or so.  Once I'm out of the States I don't plan to return very often. 

So basically I'm just trying to get a plan in place to facilitate banking, etc.  This 2FA verification is where I'm getting stuck

Thanks again

And you're planning on relocating to Thailand?

Your probably going to want/need a new phone. I can recommend a Pixel 6.

Did you want to bring/use your Moto Z4? What is the EXACT model number? XT-????

Stop worrying about SIM size. A nano SIM is fine. I'd stick with normal physical SIMs and avoid eSIMs. If you want to get an eSIM once in Thailand for a local provider that is fine.

Get UltraMobile, activate it and set up/test WiFi calling. Get USMobile too, belt/suspenders.

Maybe consider porting your Verizon number out, to Google Voice or UltraMobile or USMobile?

Buy a couple of FIDO keys: Yubico or Google/Titan. Set those up, familiarize yourself with their use.

57 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

I looked at the US mobile website and from what I can figure out most of there international plans use an eSim which I'm not sure would work long term.

I think for USMobile - I have no experience with them but they've been positively reviewed here - you'd simply build your own plan and then enable WiFi calling. You can test this obviously.

https://www.usmobile.com/plans

scroll down. minutes, test and data. 75 minutes $2, 100 mb data $2 - neither are necessary but good to have IMO. and 100 texts $2

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

Thanks for posting this.  This is really good information. 

A couple of questions: 

What type of phone(s) are you using for your Sims?  I know you need a phone with the ability to switch to WiFi calling.  If you take an activated SIM card (activated from the US) to a Thai phone shop will you be able to pick up a compatible, cheap phone that will be capable of accepting texts via WiFi calling?  I would think from Thailand you would need both a GSM and CDMA compatible phone, that is unlocked, that has WiFi calling capabilities, that uses a standard Sim size, right?   Or is GSM alone fine?  Any ideas on a cheapy phone that fits the bill as I would probably only use it for SMS sent from the States, primarily for 2FA. 

My current phone uses a nano Sim and the U mobile sold on Ebay is a standard SIM.  I guess I'm looking at having to find a compatible phone in the States that can support that SIM in order to activate it.   I wonder if that is where I might be better going the US mobile route. 

Thanks for any help. 

I use Samsung phones...I just like them.  But a SIM would work in any manufacturer's phone "which is not locked to a network....like locked to Verizon." You will not find phones for sale in Thailand that are locked to a carrier.   U.S. cell carriers are well known/have a long history of selling "locked" phones which can only activate on their network....but that has been rapidly changing over the last half dozen or years a U.S. carrier move away from that concept and there are many more MVNOs (i.e., cell service resellers like U.S. Mobile, Ting, UltraMobile, Mint Mobile, etc., which use unlocked phones....actually being forced to as customers don't like being "forced" to stay with one carrier.

CDMA is pretty much dead, history book technology now...was used primarily by some carriers for their 2G and 3G service.  CDMA use in U.S. is dying fast/pretty much dead as those carriers who used CMDA 2G & 3G moved on to LTE/4G and 5G which are data networks that can also carry voice.  Other carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T used GSM for their 2G and 3G service but have also moved on to LTE/4G and 5G.  Just wipe CDMA off your radar screen.  While CDMA was one of the two major cell technologies used in the U.S. and just a few other countries in years past, GSM pretty much ruled the rest of the world....and as mentioned CMDA is close to dead in the U.S. although companies sometimes still use the CDMA wording in their advertising since many people for many years were use to hearing CDMA (and GSM) in advertising.     Phones being sold now days are advertised as GSM/4G/LTE/5G.   Just be sure to buy an "unlocked GSM" phone.

When it comes to Wifi Calling that technogly has been built into Android phones for a long time already.  You pretty much just go into the Android setting and turn the Wifi Calling toggle from off to on.  And of course what mobile service you use has to have it turned on on their end...some mobile carrier turn it on automatically, other require you to text a certain code to turn it on....and other have you turn it on by visiting your online acct with them....UltraMobile $3 SIM has you turn it on within your online acct...and don't forget to turn Wifi Calling on within your phone's settings.

I know the Ebay says in one spot the SIM is a "standard" SIM (a.k.a., mini SIM) but it really a 3 in 1 SIM....it can used as a standard (mini) SIM, micro SIM, or nano SIM.  Just push out the size needed.  Most all phones now days with physical SIMs use the nano SIM.  But even if you got a standard/mini size SIM (which you will not if ordering this Ebay item) you can have it cut down to a mini or nano SIM.

image.png.f1b82998ec0eb0b1ede2431737a7acce.pngimage.png.f1b82998ec0eb0b1ede2431737a7acce.png

Regarding 2FA authorization methods it all depends on what account you are logging onto as to what 2FA methods are offered....that is, mobile number, authenticator app, security key, email, voice call, etc.  But most will first offer (or only offer) a mobile number for 2FA code via text or call....and then some with also offer authenticator  app.....and some will offer security key.  But usually before you could get to the point of being possibly offered an authenticator app method you would have to have mobile 2FA.   And there are some cases even if say one of your banks say allows 2FA logon via mobile number, authenticator, or email for "certain" tasks within online banking like maybe setting up a new ACH transfer link the bank may require a 2FA code via "only" mobile to set that up.   2FA methods offered is really a varied subject...different online accts/services used different methods---BUT 2FA by mobile number will surely be the first method offered (or required) with authenticator app, security key, etc., being optional choices.

I do have multiple numbers setup on most of my online accounts....I "mostly" use my Google Voice (GV) numbers as my primary, but VOIP type number like GV, Magic Jack, TextNow, etc., will not work to receive 2FA/short code texts for some online account.  Over the last couple of years I think it three online "financial" type accounts I use the GV number no longer works to receive 2FA/short codes, so I use one of my mobile numbers instead.  VOIP type numbers have certain security issues that "some" financial organizations like banks want to avoid like being able to hack into your online GV acct and then see an incoming 2FA/short code...or the code being forwarding from GV to an email address...an email address that could be hacking.  With a mobile number that problem does not exist but even mobile number have their security risks which is a subject in itself.  BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GV NUMBER YOU ARE DOING YOURSELF A DISSERVICE....read up on it....get one. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GV NUMBER YOU ARE DOING YOURSELF A DISSERVICE....read up on it....get one. 

Yes, perhaps I didn't voice this strongly enough. (I have two Google Voice numbers.)

Get a Google Voice number, and Pro Tip: if you can port in an existing mobile number to GV all the better. This is pretty much foolproof in guaranteeing folks see this as a real mobile number. Most lookups show the initial block purchase, and rarely keep up with the millions of port-ins and outs.

You'll need a mobile number to register with GV, maybe use your new UltraMobile/USMobile number? Or port in your Verizon number. I wish I had done that before I left.

23 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, perhaps I didn't voice this strongly enough. (I have two Google Voice numbers.)

Get a Google Voice number, and Pro Tip: if you can port in an existing mobile number to GV all the better. This is pretty much foolproof in guaranteeing folks see this as a real mobile number. Most lookups show the initial block purchase, and rarely keep up with the millions of port-ins and outs.

You'll need a mobile number to register with GV, maybe use your new UltraMobile/USMobile number? Or port in your Verizon number. I wish I had done that before I left.

I too have 2 GV numbers....one for the wife also as we have a lot of joint accts and separate logon credentials...and some/most (not all) of our accts will not allow a duplicate "mobile" number...

that is, the wife and I having the same mobile number in each of our separate online accts.   Makes sense as a mobile number is "suppose" to be unique to one device carried by one person and that's what 2FA is all about.

I activated both my GV numbers using my 2 Magic Jack (MJ) numbers which are identified a VOIP/landlines; not mobile.   MJ VOIP fair poorly in receiving 2FA/short codes "unless" they are sent from a real 10 digit number...unfortunately, most banks send their 2FA/short codes from 5 or 6 digit special SMS numbers.

image.png.bdc73ef8f0472b8ba9884d3d83e717f6.png

Fortunately, a GV number can receive a 2FA/short code from a 5/6 digit number "if" the sender still allows such codes to be sent to numbers they identify as VOIP-based.

Edited by Pib