Thai drivers just can't understand what indicators are for...

2long

Which use of indicators annoys you most?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I am afraid it does happen even here. 

Here is just a mild example of Thai road rage but if you follow Thai news , shootings do happen also.

Still, if you are going to have it , might as well have a pleasant soundtrack . Also , just out of shot , a vendor has quickly set up a noodle stand. A fun time was had by all.

YouTube want a credit card or ID for me to watch this video! 

I would happily just accept it's not very nice and pass thanks!

• Confused 2

Turing on hazard lights / four-way flashers when going straight on at a junction

Kind of universal in Asia. So Indonesia is the same. 

Just adapt.

BTW My mate in UK says no one indicates on roundabouts anymore. Police to them not necessary?

My daughter took driving lessons and got her licence, when I first sat in with her was impressed with her road positioning and indicator use. I did notice she had obviously been told to get in the right lane for a U turn well in advance.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 473geo said:

My daughter took driving lessons and got her licence, when I first sat in with her was impressed with her road positioning and indicator use. I did notice she had obviously been told to get in the right lane for a U turn well in advance.

Yeah there doing better with training but it's not going to stop stupid Thai bash threads like this. 

People here from west should just get use to how things are here. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2long said:

YouTube want a credit card or ID for me to watch this video! 

I would happily just accept it's not very nice and pass thanks!

Really ?? Where are you ?

If you just click on ' watch on youtube ' should play automatically . Did you press ' learn more ' by mistake ?

• Like 2

To be honest, as a Chinese, I feel the average of Thailand car drivers already much surpassed China, normie Chinese drivers blowing horns first before indicator, and many also forget indicators at all. Thus living in China is super noisy with all loud horns from the street. 

I think a mature driving culture is much more important than "teaching" "driving school" "DL exam" etc. Because China followedJapanese "strict" route and surpassed it, has most expensive, most through, most exhausting driving license issurance in the world, for a country average salary maybe ~400-500USD at many cities, DL usually requires 1000-1200USD, and exams+compulsory driving school usually take 6 months to 1 year. Also China has smart traffic cams at extreme density for police benefits. Tax & inspection are much more difficult even than Japan. Guess what? Majority Chinese driver still the most clueless drivers in the world. 

Compare to cars bikes are more scary part in Thailand cities, we all know bike accidents and extreme stunts(on public road, maybe snaking through big busses) are routine sight every week... Personally I love loud bike motors especially 2 stroker, but most annoying are many extreme slow bikes also being extremely loud, the silly roaring of at most 1 or 2 cylinders.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

None of the above. I've actually only ever seen the "hazards for going straight" one.

Long, long ago, my UK driving instructor told me that "the only thing an indicator tells you is that it works".

I (mostly) use mine in the same way I would in the UK and treat other user's signals as simply flashing lights. I'm never surprised by what a vehicle does (or doesn't do) relative to the status of the indicators. 

Exactly, treat every flashing indicator as, the guy went round a corner 10 minutes ago and hasn't got around to switching it off yet ( I guess that only applies to bikes )

However, got to say, slowing down to a near stop, and coasting round a bend while indicating really gets me going.

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It annoys me when they decide to indicate when they are 2 or 3 meters from

the turn,  when I first arrived here , I soon realized  that when a driver flashes

his lights, he's not letting out out , like you used to do in UK , but saying don't

pull out.....

regards Worgeordie

Thats because UK drivers used them for the wrong reason. Thai drivers use flashing there headlights correctly.

The Highway Code states: 'Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users. '

9 hours ago, rvaviator said:

If I have to pick one thing I do not like is driving on the motorway in the middle lane. Doing about 120kph - and some hot dog in a pick up with lots of stickers on the back window undertake you doing 180kph ...  That can be a bit annoying  ???? ...

You are not supposed to drive in the middle lane if the left lane is free.

If a car undertakes you it's nearly always because you are in the wrong lane.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

None of the above. I've actually only ever seen the "hazards for going straight" one.

Long, long ago, my UK driving instructor told me that "the only thing an indicator tells you is that it works".

I (mostly) use mine in the same way I would in the UK and treat other user's signals as simply flashing lights. I'm never surprised by what a vehicle does (or doesn't do) relative to the status of the indicators. 

Even in the US ,especially in FL where we have a large number of elderly drivers . 

While at an intersection before proceeding to cross while a vehicle approaches with their turn signal on I wait,  because there is a good chance that they forgot them on.

In FL when you see a car with their right turn signal on for a length of time, the only assumption you can make is that they are traveling around the world to the right. ????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Mrs drives me up the wall- constant commentary on how bad all the other drivers are, but it all stops when she tries to park????

Switch to a motorcycle, put earplugs in and you won't hear another word. ????

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You are not supposed to drive in the middle lane if the left lane is free.

If a car undertakes you it's nearly always because you are in the wrong lane.

TBH the left lane can be dangerous on quite a few roads here, where heavy lorries have destroyed/potholed it, and maybe it has been badly patched several times. Hit that at 100kph and it's not a joke. 

• Like 1

In my weekend driving experience there are people who use indicators to change lanes. Like policemen, a few bad apples spoil it for the rest.

However, I am glad that when people drive through a crossroads they acknowledge that they are a hazard. ????

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

TBH the left lane can be dangerous on quite a few roads here, where heavy lorries have destroyed/potholed it, and maybe it has been badly patched several times. Hit that at 100kph and it's not a joke. 

True. I ride where it is most safe - Left, centre, Right, wrong side, - ANYWHERE

• Like 2