Thai drivers just can't understand what indicators are for...

2long

Which use of indicators annoys you most?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

The only drivers that complain about Thai drivers are non Thai

Not true. Before I let my missus loose on the roads I taught her drive my way, UK road rules. Now she's the most critical person I know of the way Thais drive. She now sees all their errors.

When first driving here I sounded my horn at every stupid driver that came my way and my missus told me to stop doing it. I asked 'why'? She replied 'cuz they don't like it'. Did I stop doing it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we change "Thai drivers" to "drivers here"....it comes off as much nicer and is indeed more to the point. If a Thai grew up in the US, they would drive US style. Likewise, if I grew up here, I'm sure all of you would be cursing me as I pulled in front of you and then immediately slowed down. I'd be cursing myself, too. Some things that drive me crazy: the motorbikes that swarm your car at stoplights/intersections and upon the green light almost appear to challenge you not to hit them. Zero consideration or awareness of the car or the fact that they are a hairs breadth away from being taken down. It's as if they are not even aware the car is there and assume that you will brake/turn/stop/slow down/accelerate do everything to avoid hitting them. Which you do but it's ucked up. What sums it up well, I think, is drivers here are as if in a bubble. They are the only ones on the road. They generally just go on autopilot and point the car in the general direction. I don't think it's malicious but I take it personally, anyway (my bad).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ignis said:

Turning on hazard lights / four-way flashers = you can park outside the place you want to go into, even if that means double parked or in a bus stop....  simple really 

Or steaming over a junction flashing your headlights as well

TIT.

No one cares. how sad Thailand is for this issue

18 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

I love the way the flashing headlights are used here instead of the horn to say "don't even think about it". 

I'm considering having the horn button converted to trigger my headlights as it just feels much more therapeutic than waggling the indicator stalk - I tend to break them.

This is the problem I have, flash my headlights then realize I'm now driving with an indicator flashing after inadvertently switching it on while operating the headlight flasher. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

This is the problem I have, flash my headlights then realize I'm now driving with an indicator flashing after inadvertently switching it on while operating the headlight flasher. 

These controls are pretty hard to master !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

Maybe just start with the basics . :giggle:

b.JPG

Edited by Orinoco

Non of those above, mine are;

1. pulling out from the side of the road not indicating.

2. m/c indicating right then pull over to the left and stop.

3. pulling out to overtake, with no signal.

4. Waiting at a junction to turn right, oncoming vehicle from the right turns left not indicting.

Summery, Just not bothering to indicate ever. I.E no thought for other road users.

17 hours ago, Almer said:
19 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Getting annoyed at other people's driving habits, especially over something as trivial as this, can only end end up harming ones self. Especially when you know full well that the person that is annoying you will, in all likelihood never have had the benefit of a full driving course.

A totally pointless 'survey'.

Expand  

17 hours ago, Almer said:

Rubbish, sheer common sense tells you to indicate, indication is not to remind the driver what he is doing, it is surprise surprise to warn other road users if your intention, common sense .

Well strangely enough (from your point of view Almer) I seem to have got plenty of support for my original post. 11 likes in fact, which would indicate that plenty of members agree with me.

Actually what those 'likes' really mean is that those folks understood what I was talking about. I'm afraid you failed to and I'm not going to bother explaining that.

• Like 1

What annoys me from a motorcyclist perspective

Pulling out onto the road ignoring oncoming traffic. 

Cars driving 20km/h in the far left motorbike lane.

Cars using up 2 or 3 lanes to go around a corner.

Road lanes that suddenly turn into U-turn lanes out of nowhere forcing you to change 

• Like 1

What amazes me is the way Thai drivers react at roundabout. I drive towards a big roundabout and I prepare to stop to allow drivers on the roundabout to exit the roundabout before I enter, but they stop to allow me to enter (very courteous). But with their lack of proper driving procedures sometimes leads to other drivers getting very close to the back of my car. My belief is that most Thai drivers do not consider any other drivers rights of way and believe they can drive straight into a roundabout as they are number one. The drivers on the roundabout stop as they know what will happen if they do not stop. 

Is there a Thai highway code booklet? (probably not)

And don't even start about zebra crossings.

As soon you put a foot on a crossings, it seems the drivers all accelerate or when you cross a sight road and a driver approaches the main road, they just stop in front of you.

They probably think the lines on the road is just graffiti.

Us, Europeans, US, Australian drivers easily adapt here because we are thought  the rules but how a thai driver will ever pass a driving test in those countries?

Probably they think if someone has to walk, it must be a poor soul and zero respect whatsoever.

1 minute ago, keithkarmann said:

What amazes me is the way Thai drivers react at roundabout. I drive towards a big roundabout and I prepare to stop to allow drivers on the roundabout to exit the roundabout before I enter, but they stop to allow me to enter (very courteous). But with their lack of proper driving procedures sometimes leads to other drivers getting very close to the back of my car. My belief is that most Thai drivers do not consider any other drivers rights of way and believe they can drive straight into a roundabout as they are number one. The drivers on the roundabout stop as they know what will happen if they do not stop. 

From my experience with 2 roundabout we have locally it's the usual Thai rule of the road.

" who ever gets there first ".

Just now, RafPinto said:

And don't even start about zebra crossings.

As soon you put a foot on a crossings, it seems the drivers all accelerate or when you cross a sight road and a driver approaches the main road, they just stop in front of you.

They probably think the lines on the road is just graffiti.

Us, Europeans, US, Australian drivers easily adapt here because we are thought  the rules but how a thai driver will ever pass a driving test in those countries?

Probably they think if someone has to walk, it must be a poor soul and zero respect whatsoever.

There not regarded as Zebra crossings in Thailand that a mistake Europeans make.

• Haha 1

Must admit i always have a little smile when they indicate to go around a tight corner as if they are warning others behind that you need to turn.

Mind you they have had a few go straight into the river when using a u-turn under a bridge.

They say the gps told them hahaha .

Worst part is we all drive with these clowns on a daily basis.

22 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Well strangely enough (from your point of view Almer) I seem to have got plenty of support for my original post. 11 likes in fact, which would indicate that plenty of members agree with me.

Actually what those 'likes' really mean is that those folks understood what I was talking about. I'm afraid you failed to and I'm not going to bother explaining that.

12 likes ????

• Thanks 1

Beware the driver indicating right - he may go right,  or a number of other options - yet to be decided!

Anybody in Thailand heard of, Mirror - Signal - Maneuver?  Where "maneuver"  begins at the point of doing anything that deviates from the current driving situation.

I jest of course!

39 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

Page 27 of this attachment ...........

Road Traffic Act (English) BE 2522 (1979).pdf

58 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Cars driving 20km/h in the far left motorbike lane.

There is no motorcycle lane in Thailand. It's the hard shoulder and you are not allowed into it unless there's an emergency.

If needed, the hard shoulder is a safe refuge out of the traffic flow for broken down vehicles, or can be used by the emergency services to bypass jams to get to the scene of an incident.

That doesn't include it to be used by impatient drivers to use it at traffic lights.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Not using turn signals is certainly not just a thai thing...no shortage of  idiot drivers in most all countries....never ceases to amaze me how many brand new cars often mercedes must not be equipped with turn signals or their drivers don't know what they are for as they rarely use them....

47 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

There is one more. But you have to have a roundabout near. They come up to the roundabout and signal left , There is no other way to go round it , a bit like the left signal going round a left bend in the road  , GRRRR.

What's wrong with signal left if your going off at the first Exit. 

27 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

There is no motorcycle lane in Thailand. It's the hard shoulder and you are not allowed into it unless there's an emergency.

That doesn't include it to be used by impatient drivers to use it at traffic lights.

Yeah but they and I do to on motorbike.