Any Long-Stayer Ever Been Refused a Visa?

11 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Because she'd hastily done the paperwork and mind you that was after she'd informed us of the issue. Of course, she as all of those women speak zero English. I was only getting half of it and of course my wife being the tie that she is would never challenge some officer as to what they are doing.

I would have questioned it immediately.

Just nasty. That's all you can say.

I had a permission to stay /visa stamped into my passport and paid the 1900 Baht , the I.O then changed her mind , cancelled my visa and gave me 1900 Baht back 

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

12 minutes ago, TheScience said:

The lease is a simple one page proper contract

Not being a Smart A. I'm just curious. Here is one explanation from net (Thailand).

The main difference between a lease and rent agreement is the period of time they cover. A rental agreement tends to cover a short term—usually 30 days—while a lease contract is applied to long periods—usually 12 months, although 6 and 18-month contracts are also common. 

Seems extensions based on marriage seem to have "more issues" and nit picking than based on retirement.

Some folk think this is down to immigration preferring retirement as the paperwork is less along with checks. 

Personally I'm on extensions retirement and have 12 month lease. I always take it along to CW but never looked at

Edited by DrJack54

23 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Moreover, immigration has no legal right to tell me and my legal wife what sort of contract to enter into to procure living quarters.

Exactly. This dictating of terms of the lease for the TM30 was completely inappropriate.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't know what that is. 

There is a residence certificate that you can obtain from immigration. Nothing permanent about it. In fact has a shelf life of about a month 

Whatever.

The question was asked and I was responding.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Seems extensions based on marriage seem to have "more issues" and nit picking than based on retirement.

Some folk think this is down to immigration preferring retirement as the paperwork is less along with checks. 

Personally I'm on extensions retirement and have 12 month lease. I always take it along to CW but never looked at

I'm my observation, is often be when the wife is obviously well lower than the IO in hierarchical rank, but has more money.

Thais like to trump with their occupational superiority, police captain is well above Pink Pussy seasonal.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm my observation, is often be when the wife is obviously well lower than the IO in hierarchical rank, but has more money.

Thais like to trump with their occupational superiority, police captain is well above Pink Pussy seasonal.

Why do you continue, no matter the OP involving GF or wives keep insinuating that folks on here are married to or have a bar worker as a partner.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why do you continue, no matter the OP involving GF or wives keep insinuating that folks on here are married to or have a bar worker as a partner.

I was in no way insinuating anyone here was married to a bar worker. I was just stating my experience at immigration, and listening to many friends and acquaintances I have. 

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was in no way insinuating anyone here was married to a bar worker. I was just stating my experience at immigration, and listening to many friends and acquaintances I have. 

I just find your last sentence in the Post I responded to a little denigrating, but then that's my view. Others may agree with you.

3 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Big C...Why does it matter? I had stated it was from Bangkok immigration. So you can correct me like you do everyone else.

Its not about correcting for the sake of it.

People read threads for information. If you obtained a residence certificate in Bangkok it would have been at MTT and cost 200baht. 

Stating it has shelf life of 1 year can be misleading. For a Thai drivers license (just one example) it has short shelf life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

or a Thai drivers license (just one example) it has short shelf life. 

And what is that expiry Jack? Legally. A link?

And most importantly to this thread why shouldn't that have been considered when I had the issue with my apartment contract? It's expired so I no longer live there?? You really ought to think before you post sometimes.

Edited by TheScience

1 minute ago, TheScience said:

And what is that expiry Jack? Legally. A link?

And most importantly to this thread why shouldn't that have been considered when I had the issue with my residence? It's expired so I no longer live there?? You really ought to think before you post sometimes.

Didn't the immigration officer indicate that she wanted a "lease".

Perhaps that's unreasonable.

I suggest you take along a lease next year to obtain extension.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Big C...Why does it matter? I had stated it was from Bangkok immigration. So you can correct me like you do everyone else.

A certificate of residence or COR is generally good for 1 month and is used to buy a car, a motorbike, sell a motorbike, sell a car, or obtain a license. A COR is not good for a year.

A residence permit on the other hand is obtained by gaining residency through a lengthy process including having held a job and paying taxes. 2 different beasts.

Do you have permanent residency gained through the process.?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

A certificate of residence or COR is generally good for 1 month and is used to buy a car, a motorbike, sell a motorbike, sell a car, or obtain a license. A COR is not good for a year.

A residence permit on the other hand is obtained by gaining residency through a lengthy process including having held a job and paying taxes. 2 different beasts.

Do you have permanent residency gained through the process.?

No. But I have been paying taxes on my hobby job for ten years. Same residence.

Not to drag this out yet again....but, I wasn't using it as some primary certificate to prove residence but rather it was tertiary evidence that I resided at that residence.

The point is that it doesn't matter that I reside at that particular residence what matters is that the immigration officer has the particular random piece of paper that she desires. Next week it might be different.

The paperwork that I presented was the same paperwork that was successful in my application over the past 8 years. In addition to that I had the certificate of residency from immigration as well as a letter from the manager of the apartment stating the duration of time that we have been living in the apartment.

Everything else was in perfect order.

There can be absolutely no question as to the duration of time that we have lived in the apartment. Having a contract forward one year proves absolutely nothing. In fact within the last year or two Thai law has allowed tenants to break contracts at will based upon a number of fairly insubstantial circumstances.

Anyway, my apologies for completely overwhelming the thread with this drama.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

What are your thoughts about it?

It works well enough until it doesn't. For 8 years I had no problems. Then, the document that was perfectly acceptable for that. Of time was no good and I need to replace it in less than 24 hours.

It's very random, this we all know. The pollyanna's will chalk it up to immigration officer discretion but often it's just randomness and indifference. I have never received any sort of warm and fuzzy feeling from any immigration officer that they actually cared.

I'm not some joker on a B Visa teaching in Nakon Nowhere. I would wager to stay that I probably have more assets in Thailand than the woman that is overlooking my application.

If you were to ask me for a solution and this is so easy....

A universal, national checklist of everything that is needed to process any particular type of extension. This would never happen in Thailand but I would also go on to say that after fulfilling that list that there are no other requirements. This would reduce the arbitrary and capricious nature of what goes on in many of the offices.

The hilarious part of all this is that they expect to attract millionaires to this country. I can tell you that the millionaires that I know having gone through the experience that I did would be packed and gone within 30 days. The idiotic notion that wealthy people will simply just get an agent...No, they will just leave. If Thailand can ever attract this sort of individual or families they will not be from Western countries. Anyone that knows people with money understands this factually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

I'm 100% legal as well and been doing it myself for 11 years without a hitch, cost 1900 baht.

I did it myself for over 15 years... where I lived there were no agents.. what a pleasure to have all those forms filled out properly for me.. sign here, sign here, as they flip the pages... I do have to wait at the bank for 30 minutes while they make the letter, and go to Imm w/the agent which takes 5 minutes... for me, it is well worth the cost... if not, I would do it myself...