UPDATE: More than 20 foreign and Thai victims follow up on Pattaya bank staffer fraud case

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, champers said:

I know the link in the OP says the bank is on Klang, but the original story back in February I am sure the branch was on Soi Buakhao.

100% correct ....but not surprised by that poster inaccurate knowledge about it , Klang and Biakhao are the Pattaya 2 main branches 

Edited by david555

2 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Actually another inaccuracy---Kasi Buakao branch is now closed.

oh...! that i did not know i always go for important cases to Klang ....

Is Buakao  "covid closed" or different reason ?

Thanks for enlighten me ????

Old LT stayers knew it was S.B. branch 

Both Wife and I have had both of our SCB M cards ripped off to the tune of about 100,000 Baht (both used at Apple.com)

it was either Lazada or SCB themselves as these were the only places we’d both used our cards.

We noticed quickly & contacted SCB, money returned. No hassles.

But, there’s defo a leak & I reckon it’s the Bank… there are just too many stories of bank staff pilfering. The rewards higher than the penalties. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Makes you wonder what the lawyers are doing, should at least have got updates. You really don't want to leave too much money in Thailand, if money goes missing there's a real risk the bank will just ignore you

Another reason why I keep the biggest bulk of my money in the UK. A country run mostly by Military Academy educated unelected army generals has got to be too unstable to be trusted with your money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I know it was not me you replied too. I agree with your sentiment but only if this was done in the bank with the person selling it in bank uniform on bank papers ect.

The fact that it was a bank employee makes it indeed sound more safe (but do we know if the transactions were done in the bank or not?)

But like you i would not go for it as most people with a bit of sense would find this dangerous, but then again if done in the bank that is really a mitigating circumstance. I mean it would make it seem far more plausible (but still)

It would appear that customers would queue each month to see ‘Me Gob’.

Banking transactions were carried out in the bank directly with a bank employee. 

I can’t see how the Bank is not responsible. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would appear that customers would queue each month to see ‘Me Gob’.

Banking transactions were carried out in the bank directly with a bank employee. 

I can’t see how the Bank is not responsible. 

Then i totally agree.. if inside the bank and so on then the bank is responsible (but im no Thai lawyer)

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then i totally agree.. if inside the bank and so on then the bank is responsible (but im no Thai lawyer)

nor me, but surely , any employee is acting for and on behalf of the company who employs him or her.

therefore the Company must be liable for the actions of the employees

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Both Wife and I have had both of our SCB M cards ripped off to the tune of about 100,000 Baht (both used at Apple.com)

it was either Lazada or SCB themselves as these were the only places we’d both used our cards.

We noticed quickly & contacted SCB, money returned. No hassles.

But, there’s defo a leak & I reckon it’s the Bank… there are just too many stories of bank staff pilfering. The rewards higher than the penalties. 

So i guess i may call myself lucky one as in 13 years of KK i have not one complain about them , nor any financial incident....., but i also keep as much i can all transaction safe ,

example for online i use only 1 account from my 2 ,and on that account i use K-web card , a virtual card recognized as "visa " card connected to 1 account , such card i example add  on AliExpress  when buying , as soon as ordered and paid (sms  from KK on smartphone ) i remove from A.E. again,

Even on KK mobile banking you can set the limits to  immediate changing, which i do  after buying .... a bit of work .... but safe ..... don't be lazy.....???? it keeps your money on Thai banks safe

And if needed  the card can become immediate canceled and  make a new one with  different webcard number and cvv number on Home banking KK. 

Edited by david555

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That's why I check my bank accounts at least every month

and update them , dormant accounts can attract the bandits

that work IN the bank. people in debt at times like this can be

tempted.

regards Worgeordie

I'm checking mine everyday this next week; a lot of 'maintenance" being performed over this weekend where I bank.

50 minutes ago, david555 said:

So i guess i may call myself lucky one as in 13 years of KK i have not one complain about them , nor any financial incident....., but i also keep as much i can all transaction safe ,

example for online i use only 1 account from my 2 ,and on that account i use K-web card , a virtual card recognized as "visa " card connected to 1 account , such card i example add  on AliExpress  when buying , as soon as ordered and paid (sms  from KK on smartphone ) i remove from A.E. again,

Even on KK mobile banking you can set the limits to  immediate changing, which i do  after buying .... a bit of work .... but safe ..... don't be lazy.....???? it keeps your money on Thai banks safe

And if needed  the card can become immediate canceled and  make a new one with  different webcard number and cvv number on Home banking KK. 

This was the first time for me to have a spurious Credit Card Transaction in Thailand. 

Wife was hit a few days before me, first time for her too. 

My Mother in Law was taken for over 1 Million Baht on her Credit Card about 10 years ago ( I can’t recall which was the issuing Bank ). MiL was protected and did not face losses.

To be honest, I get ripped off far more often in the UK with online transactions, I always get contacted by my CC company there - someone has ’tested’ my card with a 50p transaction etc. Apparently scammers do that to test if the card works etc.

The protection is one thing, but dealing with and then waiting for a new card is a real pain in the backside when travelling so much. 

Malaysia used to be a real hotbed of card scamming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lodstewart said:

nor me, but surely , any employee is acting for and on behalf of the company who employs him or her.

therefore the Company must be liable for the actions of the employees

If a bank employee took out a gun, and shot a customer, in the bank, would the bank be liable? Or could they say he was not acting on behalf of the company

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This was the first time for me to have a spurious Credit Card Transaction in Thailand. 

Wife was hit a few days before me, first time for her too. 

My Mother in Law was taken for over 1 Million Baht on her Credit Card about 10 years ago ( I can’t recall which was the issuing Bank ). MiL was protected and did not face losses.

To be honest, I get ripped off far more often in the UK with online transactions, I always get contacted by my CC company there - someone has ’tested’ my card with a 50p transaction etc. Apparently scammers do that to test if the card works etc.

The protection is one thing, but dealing with and then waiting for a new card is a real pain in the backside when travelling so much. 

Malaysia used to be a real hotbed of card scamming.

if you are so much targeted  ....then it would be a  good thing to ask yourself if really taken security enough , somewhere there could be a wrong behavior possible , as soo much ripped of is not normal anymore 

Facebook ,twitter ...or any of those other ones ...., as i have none ...but i have being asked many many times to change my passwords or confirming change of password or logins ..... 

And i have NONE of those , so i knew it was a attempt to let me click on ...."something "

Only once by login on AliExpress   A.E. site asked me to confirm  the change of adres ....(?) i replied in AliExpress messenger to A.E. that i did not change adress     they asked me to change my password immediate ....so i did  

The supposed address change was instead of my Thai Address  somewhere a village in U.K. unknow by me as European .... looks liked like (but was not ) Berkishere on ...xxxx ????

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If a bank employee took out a gun, and shot a customer, in the bank, would the bank be liable? Or could they say he was not acting on behalf of the company

If your wife shoot somebody ...... would you be responsible too ?....as she is your better half ????

"Same same but bit different" (as your example) ...., as they say in Thailand 

Edited by david555

5 hours ago, snowgard said:

Because they don't want to pay !!! I am sure that the bank did not do anything wrong from their point of view and only the bank assistant is responsible for it.
The victims will likely have to sue the bank for damages. And then at least 10-15 years pass before the 3rd court instance.

The Bank itself probably are taking the line that it was , and is , not them that is responsible for the fraud.

An Employee was responsible, and has been convicted, so therefore all claims for compensation are to be directed to him

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

We    travelled  there,  no joy, bank refused to  look at the matter, insisted wife must have  taken money out herself.  They couldnt/wouldnt explain how that was possible as she  has never   had or used an ATM,  just doesnt trust them,, with  good reason... Back to Nakhon Nowhere, she closed her account, I   withdrew  my  Visa  holding money, plus my own savings account.  Bank Manager  cried, wept, gnashed his teeth.  Too bloody bad.

Why you don't made a police report? It's easy and free!!! I would never let someone run with my money away!!!

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes you think that they were given bank contracts"?!

Do you give your money to someone without a investion contract or investion agreement?

Me not!!! ????

But even then it can happen that the paper is worthless.

Edited by snowgard

5 hours ago, david555 said:

But the ROI alone should have send out a lot of red flags. 

That alone already  is the first point of remark to an individual  such high MONTHLY 3.5%   should already be the bank lawyers defense something those individuals would have understand that this was terrible wrong .....????

Can i sell them a piece of the moon too? "peanuts money" for a few acres , quick be the first ones

"Can I sell them a piece of the moon too?"--- By "them" I take it you mean Thai's----- Maybe you would be better off selling your piece of the moon to people closer to your home.

Bernard Madoff, the Manhattan investment adviser who promised stellar returns

to his A-list clients and instead defrauded them of more

than $19 billion in history’s largest Ponzi scheme, has died. He was 82.

BernardMadoff.jpg.

7 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

"Can I sell them a piece of the moon too?"--- By "them" I take it you mean Thai's----- Maybe you would be better off selling your piece of the moon to people closer to your home.

Bernard Madoff, the Manhattan investment adviser who promised stellar returns

to his A-list clients and instead defrauded them of more

than $19 billion in history’s largest Ponzi scheme, has died. He was 82.

BernardMadoff.jpg.

No  i was not referring to Thais especially , more to investors  believing a 3.5% a month interest while interests are bottom low worldwide   ????

Edited by david555

I feel for the bank manager, known her for nearly 20 years, back then she was an assistant manager Pattaya Tai branch, so very helpful. 

She is such a hard worker and has helped me with many issues, trying so hard to get items I wasn't entitled to because of my visa status (Working offshore I traveled to Thailand on a tourist visa, working on a 28/28 rotation so tourist visa all I needed), such as credit cards, including spouse, foreign currency account, bank safety box etc., every Christmas/New year she would always give me a little gift.

I hope she doesn't suffer because of this 1 bad egg (criminal) 

Sadly this theft, fraudulent behavior issue could happen to any branch, any bank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Klang and Pattaya Tai are the 2 main Kasikorn branches 

that are the 2 i was referring to... KLang (Central road...) and the one CLOSE  to entrance  Soi Bhuakao  (i have still problems with Thai street naming ????)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The Bank itself probably are taking the line that it was , and is , not them that is responsible for the fraud.

An Employee was responsible, and has been convicted, so therefore all claims for compensation are to be directed to him

They should have noticed that this assistant manager spent more time in the branch and working, than would normally be expected. 

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They should have noticed that this assistant manager spent more time in the branch and working, than would normally be expected. 

So you have his branche presence  schedule ....? ????  ????

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

yes the Bank public liability insurance would honour that claim, because it happened on thier premises and by one of thier

emloyees in the working day, also the employee would obviously be tried for murder or manslaughter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

yes the Bank public liability insurance would honour that claim, because it happened on thier premises and by one of thier

emloyees in the working day, also the employee would obviously be tried for murder or manslaughter.

I personally do not know if those liability clauses are written into insurance..... it is often said 'liability, responsibility' etc are less of a thing in Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I personally do not know if those liability clauses are written into insurance..... it is often said 'liability, responsibility' etc are less of a thing in Thailand. 

less of a thing in Thailand,   maybe,  but if insurance is not there,  then the Bank or company would have to make compensation

for damage and injury to the injured Party,  on thier premises,  caused by their employee

• Like 1

Those 20  best chance  is to put money together , hire a  good lawyer  and make a group claim to the bank ....(if they didn't  that maybe already ?????) any other waiting to police action is lost effort and time .

The only chance for them is starting themselves  a court case ,  police report is done already so now  starting a court case is the only outcome .......

Might be the bank is waiting for that  to react 

Edited by david555

4 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

less of a thing in Thailand,   maybe,  but if insurance is not there,  then the Bank or company would have to make compensation

for damage and injury to the injured Party,  on thier premises,  caused by their employee

Again you seem to know more about Thai law than I do. I do not have that level of confidence.....

People seem to do wrong with impunity here all too often. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Again you seem to know more about Thai law than I do. I do not have that level of confidence.....

People seem to do wrong with impunity here all too often. 

yes I agree, however you have to understand that if this Guy was not working for the bank , and stopped any of these investors in the street, do you think that any of them would have withdrawn their money from the bank and handed it to him on the promise  of such good returns, of course they wouldn't. they only did this because they were under the umbrella of the bank,

on the bank premises talking to the bank employeee. they felt safe only because of the bank name. Therefore because the bank interviewed and employed him they are liable. The investors simply trusted the bank and the banks name. not the guy personally.