Thai female lawyers fight for right to wear trousers in court

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-3-2.png

The Human Rights Lawyers Association (HRLA) and Nitihub, an open forum for public discussion of issues of public interest, have threatened to seek redress from the Central Administrative Court if the Thai Bar Association does not respond to their petition for a change to its dress code, which currently forbids female lawyers from wearing trousers in court.

The HRLA said in its petition, addressed to the Thai Bar Association president, that it has received complaints from a number of female lawyers, claiming that they have been admonished by judges for not dressing properly when they wore trousers in court, adding that they were occasionally taunted by opposing male council for breaking lawyer’s rules of etiquette regarding the dress code.

The HRLA also said that it has previously submitted an open letter to both the president of the Supreme Court and the Lawyers Council Under the Royal Patronage to issue dress guidelines which do not bar female lawyers from wearing trousers in court.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-female-lawyers-fight-for-right-to-wear-trousers-in-court/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 1

If the dispensation of justice  becomes a retrograde dispute over the dress code of legal representatives then perhaps naked should be adopted as a leveling standard?

Arguing a point of law in public while  naked would surely determine the genuosity of presentation !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

In a very traditional society as here in Thailand it is not done for women to wear trousers, nor in court, nor at the Government offices, nor at any other business.... Women wear skirts and blouses, and high heels men wear trousers.... So the Constitutional Court don't need to be asked about it... Women are for reproducing only and have to dress like that..  

Is your  comment serious or ? Historical garments of Thai women  have examples that while not  can be called "trousers" as is the Western description  are equivalent to . Replace "trousers" with "pants" and see what you get !

14 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

In a very traditional society as here in Thailand it is not done for women to wear trousers, nor in court, nor at the Government offices, nor at any other business.... Women wear skirts and blouses, and high heels men wear trousers.... So the Constitutional Court don't need to be asked about it... Women are for reproducing only and have to dress like that..  

So Thai women should mandatorily hang their mammary units out to indicate  a potential  capacity to nurture  offspring? Ideally never in business or Government offices at all ? Perhaps secluded in incubated facilities to pump out progeny like mindless chickens?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

There's no such thing as forbidden. Show up in court in pants. That's all.

It's not that simple. This is bigger than just pants. Pants are more symbolism for women wanting more even playing field in this male dominated society. It may not be forbidden by written rules but every society has understood social norms you're bound by; especially in a profession like law where traditions just don't budge. So your lady lawyer shows up in court in pants, following your advice. Upsets the older male judges with traditional mindset. How do you think your case will fare?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, worldexpress said:

It's not that simple. This is bigger than just pants. Pants are more symbolism for women wanting more even playing field in this male dominated society. It may not be forbidden by written rules but every society has understood social norms you're bound by; especially in a profession like law where traditions just don't budge. So your lady lawyer shows up in court in pants, following your advice. Upsets the older male judges with traditional mindset. How do you think your case will fare?

It's actually that simple. I remember for example there was this woman in another country some time ago facing the same issue. She kept going to court wearing pants till they changed the law. Because of her it's been allowed ever since. 

Edited by A1Str8
  • Like 1

I don't know where other posters are from, but when I was young, and you saw a man in a dress and a wig, ...

Court should get with the program. Here, there, everywhere.

They still wear those idiotic wigs in UK and Canada too - total Bool Chit

Edited by seedy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The HRLA said in its petition, addressed to the Thai Bar Association president, that it has received complaints from a number of female lawyers, claiming that they have been admonished by judges for not dressing properly when they wore trousers in court, adding that they were occasionally taunted by opposing male council for breaking lawyer’s rules of etiquette regarding the dress code.

I bet they wear them at home so why not in the office.

• Haha 1

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

In a Thai court, men and women must wear the same long legal gown. They carry it everywhere they go and put it on right before the judge enters the chamber. My niece, who is a lawyer, spends a lot of time ironing her robe.

Thai Lawyer Woman Uniform, Occupation Lawyer. Royalty Free Cliparts,  Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 123810567.

If women really want advantage in court, they should petition to dress like this when approaching the bench. "Your honour, can we discuss this in your chamber..."

Photos from Miss Universe 2018 Evening Gown Competition - E! Online | Miss  universe gowns, Miss universe dresses, Pageant outfits

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just another example of Thailand, Land of Dinosaurs. Which is exactly how they promote tourism in some parts of the country, such as Issan. In my area there are signs over 100 kms from a 'dinosaur' park where, apparently, there is a footprint that may or may not be from a dinosaur.

Is that the one that's signposted as "Real Dinosaur Footprint".  

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

Call me old fashioned or call me conservative, but if there is one thing that needs preserving in our ever progressive society, I humbly suggest that it be the justice system.

In fact, to preserve the core of any society, the law should and must only be changed at the pace of a snail.  If this conservatism extends to mode of dress as an exhibition of tradition and ethical roots, then so be it.

I'd rather be sentenced for a crime by an elderly chap in traditional robes and a wig, than a 31 year old millennial wearing a T-shirt and jeans.  Somehow I believe the wigged chappie may have given my case some deeper consideration and applied traditional thinking before making a rash progressive decision that jean wearing millennials in positions of authority are prone to do.

Hear, hear.

They’ve stopped wearing dickie bows in snooker now, largely pushed through by the young uns. I’m all for change—they’ve got women refs in pants (can’t have skirts bending over tables)—but that’s going too far!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just another example of Thailand, Land of Dinosaurs. Which is exactly how they promote tourism in some parts of the country, such as Issan. In my area there are signs over 100 kms from a 'dinosaur' park where, apparently, there is a footprint that may or may not be from a dinosaur.

Is that the one that's signposted as "Real Dinosaur Footprint". 

Correct. I guess they have a photograph of the beast making it which they could sell you.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In a very traditional society as here in Thailand it is not done for women to wear trousers, nor in court, nor at the Government offices, nor at any other business.... Women wear skirts and blouses, and high heels men wear trousers...

it is however  rumored that some men here are indeed fond of wearing high heels and dresses

• Like 1
  • Haha 1