Covid 60-day extension

As if applying for  the Sandbox wasn't enough of a headache..........

I'm currently on a 30-day extension to my 60-day TR visa and this expires on 31st December.

I would like to get the 60-day extension next week so that I can the book and pay for a house up to the end of February.

However, I have read in a weekly emailed newsletter from one of the site sponsors on here that the Covid extension is for 60 days from the date of issue and is not tacked on to the existing visa like the standard 30-day extension.

Is this correct? In which case will I need to go to immigration on 30th December (closed on 31st) and hope that I will get the extension - otherwise I am on overstay the next day!

Hopefully this is a simple question -  if there is such a thing when it comes to immigration matters!

(I'm on Phuket if that makes any difference - maybe they take a kinder view of tourists?)

Only a few offices start the covid 19 extension on the day you apply.

I would not always believe what you get in a newsletter from somebody that might have a vested interest.

Since the 31st, January 1st, 2nd and 3rd are holidays you would not be fined for an overstay if you applied on the 4th.

• Thanks 2

Thanks guys - I think I'll go to immigration next week and, if they won't post-date it to start on 1st January, then I'll hope that I can get another extension in mid-February.

Joe - I get stressed easily, and with all of those public holidays just as my present extension expires, I would worry that there would be long queues meandering outside in the full sun on the 4th.

I'll try to remember to let you know how I get on.

18 hours ago, RubenRemus said:

The Thai Visa forum facebook group says that the first COVID extension is always stamped from the day you apply, but that any later extensions (2nd, 3rd, etc.) are tacked onto the last day you are allowed to stay. 

That is what I have been told by my agent in Chiang Mai

17 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Thanks guys - I think I'll go to immigration next week and, if they won't post-date it to start on 1st January, then I'll hope that I can get another extension in mid-February.

Joe - I get stressed easily, and with all of those public holidays just as my present extension expires, I would worry that there would be long queues meandering outside in the full sun on the 4th.

I'll try to remember to let you know how I get on.

One option is to go to immigration now and get your 60 days. As the covid extensions are currently available till 25th Jan go back a couple of days before this and get another 60 days. A bit of a pain and extra trips but it is only another 1,900B and it removes some of the stress element.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only a few offices start the covid 19 extension on the day you apply.

I would not always believe what you get in a newsletter from somebody that might have a vested interest.

Since the 31st, January 1st, 2nd and 3rd are holidays you would not be fined for an overstay if you applied on the 4th.

how about december  24th christmas   or december 25 saturday ?           thanks and happy hollidays

10 minutes ago, ifmu said:

how about december  24th christmas   or december 25 saturday ?           thanks and happy hollidays

Immigration will be open on the on the 24th since Christmas is not a Thai holiday. Closed on the 25th and 26th.

3 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

One option is to go to immigration now and get your 60 days. As the covid extensions are currently available till 25th Jan go back a couple of days before this and get another 60 days. A bit of a pain and extra trips but it is only another 1,900B and it removes some of the stress element.

Yes, this is my current plan.

Just to check - I need:-

- Completed Covid Affidavit

- Passport

- 1 passport photo signed on back

- 1 copy of ID page from passport

- 1 copy of visa page from passport plus TM6 departure card

- B1,900 cash

Edited by London Lowf

13 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

- Passport

- B1,900 cash

TM7. 

Copy of most recent extension (if you have one) 

You may be asked for a TM30.

No need sign back of photo.

Here is copy of ubonjoe post in another thread.

"You will need one completed TM7 form with a 4 X 6 photo attached.

Copies of your passport photo page page, visa (if any), entry stamp, pervious extension stamp (if any) and TM6 departure card. Copies need to be signed by you.

Immigration will give you any other statements and etc to complete and sign.

If you have not had TM30 report done showing your current address you will need a new one"

Edited by DrJack54

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

TM7. 

Copy of most recent extension (if you have one) 

You may be asked for a TM30.

No need sign back of photo.

I thought TM7 was for the standard 30-day extension and that you need the affidavit for the Covid extension?

Doesn't my landlord file the TM30?

The waters are muddying again!

15 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I thought TM7 was for the standard 30-day extension and that you need the affidavit for the Covid extension?

Doesn't my landlord file the TM30?

The waters are muddying again!

TM7 is for extensions. Be that 30 day or covid or annual extensions etc. Cost 1900baht standard fee.

You hotel/condo, landlord etc should have done a TM30.

Ask them for screen grab of filing it. 

The affidavit is just a tick box form and sign.

Here is affidavit.

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

so currently jan 25 is cut off date 60 day covid. extension ,  that is  a tuesday so what day is safe to go last minute for it.   sunday is 23 jan .  so i guess friday jan 21 is last safe day to try for it.    

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

TM7 is for extensions. Be that 30 day or covid or annual extensions etc. Cost 1900baht standard fee.

You hotel/condo, landlord etc should have done a TM30.

Ask them for screen grab of filing it. 

The affidavit is just a tick box form and sign.

Here is affidavit.

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659 229.8 kB · 829 downloads

So, to be clear, your post was in addition to my list, not instead of?

2 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

so currently jan 25 is cut off date 60 day covid. extension ,  that is  a tuesday so what day is safe to go last minute for it.   sunday is 23 jan .  so i guess friday jan 21 is last safe day to try for it.    

Using my situation as an example. I am stamped in till 20/2. I am not running the risk of waiting till 24/1 to see if they extend. Going to immigration on the last day can open up a can of worms if you catch an officer in a bad mood. I will go the week before. If they do extend I have spent 1,900B and only got 30 odd days but can get another. If they dont well I still have 30 extra days. Just wish they would not leave it till the last minute to announce extension or not 

55 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

- Passport

- B1,900 cash

covid affidavid whats that do i get that form at office or can i print out here at home from online

7 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Using my situation as an example. I am stamped in till 20/2. I am not running the risk of waiting till 24/1 to see if they extend. Going to immigration on the last day can open up a can of worms if you catch an officer in a bad mood. I will go the week before. If they do extend I have spent 1,900B and only got 30 odd days but can get another. If they dont well I still have 30 extra days. Just wish they would not leave it till the last minute to announce extension or not 

I would go few days prior to 25th.

Perhaps Frid Jan 21.

Your covid extension (if granted) should commence from 20/2.

As for early announcement re what happens after Jan 25 don't place much hope in that. Most likely announced at last minute.

IMO lot depends on land borders which given new variant do not look like opening soon and ending covid extensions would be crazy.

2 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

covid affidavid whats that do i get that form at office or can i print out here at home from online

I posted link to affidavit earlier in thread. Good idea to print it and take along with you. 

Edited by DrJack54

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I would go few days prior to 25th.

Perhaps Frid Jan 21.

Your covid extension (if granted) should commence from 20/2.

As for early announcement re what happens after Jan 25 don't place much hope in that. Most likely announced at last minute.

IMO lot depends on land borders which given new variant do not look like opening soon and ending covid extensions would be crazy.

I am with you on most of that.

I will be going on the Friday before.

This will be my first Covid extension. Friends of mine who have done this in CM have got 60 days from application date on first extension but 60 days tagged on to subsequent extensions. Time will tell.

I agree that until land borders open Covid extensions will continue but I am not prepared to wait until announcement.

• Like 1

Update - this morning I got my extension. In addition to the TM7 and Covid Affidavit IO#1 gave me one additional form to complete which I've never seen mentioned - very simple and similar to the affidavit, but without any tick boxes. He also gave me a queue ticket and there was only one guy in front of me but he was having problems and was sent away to get something from his embassy.

After my paperwork was double-checked by IO#2 she told me to come back tomorrow, but then immediately changed her mind and told me to wait - maybe she took pity on me as I do have a slight disability?

Ten minutes later IO#3 called me over and handed me my passport and receipt for the B1,900 - on the way out I checked it and although I had the 60-day extension, above it was the "under consideration" stamp, which was confusing. I went back to IO#3 and she said I could ignore it and I was good to go.

The extension starts at the expiry of my 30-day, and so I'm now legal up to 1st March.

From the time I parked to the time I left it was a total of 40 minutes - including finding the correct office (it's the upstairs one in Phuket Town), filling in the extra form and a little queuing and hanging around.

Edited by London Lowf
To make it even better!