Roy Chumdermpadetsuk, MD, BS Rutin Eye Hospital

whiteman

14 minutes ago, whiteman said:

Does he work at any other hospitals besides Rutin?

Yes, Bumrungrad but will cost more there.

How do you know you need a laser procedure if you have not even seen a doctor yet? Only certain types of eye conditions would lend themselves to laser procedures.

I went to get some new glasses had not been to have a eye check up for 2 years+ The guy that does my glasses said my eyes are the same as last time but my right eye is say one point less strong but he then said both eyes have cataracts and that maybe the causes of you not being able to read the computer as good as you did b4. Thinking about it now I am not really bothered I can make do. But my Neighbor is a eye Dr and has a local practice so I may just pop in next week if possible and have a check up.

3 hours ago, whiteman said:

I went to get some new glasses had not been to have a eye check up for 2 years+ The guy that does my glasses said my eyes are the same as last time but my right eye is say one point less strong but he then said both eyes have cataracts and that maybe the causes of you not being able to read the computer as good as you did b4. Thinking about it now I am not really bothered I can make do. But my Neighbor is a eye Dr and has a local practice so I may just pop in next week if possible and have a check up.

With cataracts, the point at which to have them surgically removed is when they are interfering with your daily life. Not before then.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:11 AM, whiteman said:

I'm not suggesting this is your condition but I recently saw an ophthalmologist because I was having intermittent difficulty reading small type, both on a computer display and physical books.

He diagnosed "Dry Eye", apparently I'm not making sufficient tears.  He gave me a months supply of 4 times a day eye-drops.  Two weeks into this, I notice far less difficulty with small type. 

The Dr. made the point that this is common in older persons (I'm 78) and also a sign of general dehydration. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Roy is great.  He did my secondary cataract / YAG laser, and also a number of exams over the years.   

Just in passing re cataracts -- I had mine done in my mid-fifties.  They were pretty bad (couldn't see well in low light, and couldn't fully correct my vision with contacts) but I thought I was too young, and didn't think to check.   Had the operation done in the US because I went for the multi-focal lens implant.  Not quite perfect (one eye can use an 0.5+ correction), but I have been very happy, and even passed up the doc's pre-surgery offer of Lasik or similar to make any minor adjustments (apparently not uncommon with very high myopia).  

-- Retiree