82% of Thai convicts are in for drugs - now they can get their sentences reduced - "War on Drugs" failure highlighted

webfact

5 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

I would explain differences to you but i have neither the time nor the crayons

It would be "nice" if you pointed that out in the original post.  I am talking about LEGAL executions.  

From the sounds of the article which PS was 2004 or 17 years ago these "extra judicial" homicides were not entirely drug related. 

I am not for vigilante justice.  However I am totally for execution of those found "guilty" in court and proved beyond a reasonable doubt they are drug traffickers.   Touting that  3,000 people killed in 2004 in a program that has long since ended has proved that it does not stop today's drug problem is nonsensical.  But I have neither the time or crayons to explain that to you. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

You want to control illegal drugs, you make the punishment severe enough to deter people from using the drugs and selling the drugs. 

To do otherwise is to trivialize the seriousness of the offense. 

But still, people make, sell and transport illegal drugs. Where there is a market, there will be people to fulfil it.  There is no conclusive that death sentences are a deterrent. Unless you know differently.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Smithson said:

It's disturbing that people are so keen to see others dies over what is a health problem, while ignoring other successful strategies.

Oh you mean like the "enlightened" policies in the USA or perhaps the Netherlands.  

If you want to stop money laundering, you make the penalties for getting caught severe.  If you want to stop speeding you make the penalties severe.  If you want to stop drunk driving, you make the penalties severe.  And if you want to stop drug trafficking you make the punishment so severe that few will want to risk it. 

That is just common sense.  You ought to try that sometime too. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Realy, show me where I bought up 3,000 deaths.

I was correcting you (as most on this thread have) on your reply to Smithson.

At no time did I mention Singapore, their tough laws nor their effectiveness in the war on drugs.

So far everyone has refuted your posts as nonsence but you still try to make out that you have an idea what you are talking about.

Do you really believe that you are the only member on this board who knows anything, despite obviously not being here at the time of the extra judicial killings.

Don't bother replying, you have already  made enough of a fool of yourself.

The worst day was when they loaded about 74 people 

hands tied behind there backs, like logs of wood in the back of a Truck, most just died of suffocation.  (outrageous behavior)

Ps could be wrong about the numbers, but loads died.

Edited by Orinoco

Hard to believe that 

arson; assault and battery; bribery; burglary; child abuse; counterfeiting; cybercrime; embezzlement; extortion; forgery; fraud; hijacking; homicide; incest; kidnapping; larceny; organized crime; perjury; piracy; prostitution; rape; robbery; sedition; smuggling; terrorism; theft; treason; usury; and white-collar crime

only account for 18%?

Something is wrong with this picture.

Edited by mtls2005

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

However I am totally for execution of those found "guilty" in court and proved beyond a reasonable doubt they are drug traffickers. 

Perfect. Let's start with the ones we don't even have to look for... Perdue pharma, I'm lookin' at you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smithson said:

Alcohol? It's a drug (didn't you know?), probably the most damaging to society (not just the individual).

Yes, well it's legal, and not everyone who uses it is an alcoholic. Perhaps you want Prohibition to be re-introduced, after all that worked really well didn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

The worst day was when they loaded about 74 people 

hands tied behind there backs, like logs of wood in the back of a Truck, most just died of suffocation.  (outrageous behavior)

Ps could be wrong about the numbers, but loads died.

I think that's Tak Bai

• Like 1

A post with content from the Bangkok Post has been removed as well as the replies:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Some inflammatory posts, baiting posts and the replies have been removed. 

6 hours ago, Smithson said:

This is simply wrong, a war on drugs here killed around 3,000 in as many months. Still plenty of drugs around.

The penalty isn't harsh enough yet ,Be serious No one forces people to take drugs 

Up the Ante  Harsher penalties are in order.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, rosetintedspecs said:

Beer Chang and Singh don't want them around, even though in reality they are not competition for CRAFT beer at all.

No, because Thais aren't demanding craft beer. If they were don't you think the majors would want to make money from it?