82% of Thai convicts are in for drugs - now they can get their sentences reduced - "War on Drugs" failure highlighted

webfact

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

I suspect that this number is misleading.

Are all of these addicts in gaol solely for taking, dealing, transporting drugs, or were there other crimes being carried out (theft, rape, assault, fleeing from a crime, dangerous driving etc) as a result of the drugs.

Fact of life - people involved in drugs commit other crimes.

I think the statistic is correct, drug charges, not drug related.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Smithson said:

This is simply wrong, a war on drugs here killed around 3,000 in as many months. Still plenty of drugs around

You "kill" the drug dealers and severely punish those who are caught with illegal drugs.  The fact that 3,000 people died from overdose is not any sort of deterrent. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

They don't learn. BiL done 4 years, this time, for dealing. Good behavior got him out early but he had to wear the electronic tag. Every week he had report back to the jail and was drugs tested Failed his blood test and immediately put back inside. Now out you can be sure he's back on meths and gambling. Never had a job in his life and I doubt he ever will. First time in jail was for attempted murder. 

Just now, IvorBiggun2 said:

They don't learn. BiL done 4 years, this time, for dealing. Good behavior got him out early but he had to wear the electronic tag. Every week he had report back to the jail and was drugs tested Failed his blood test and immediately put back inside. Now out you can be sure he's back on meths and gambling. Never had a job in his life and I doubt he ever will. First time in jail was for attempted murder. 

Sounds like his got a few more problems than drug use.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rosetintedspecs said:

But back to the drugs, 230,000 people in jail for drugs, while they are there, the families are screwed up, no beadwinner.

I don't see that. In the Thai family if someone can't provide then the rest of the family take over. They get by.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Smithson said:

This is simply wrong, a war on drugs here killed around 3,000 in as many months. Still plenty of drugs around

You "kill" the drug dealers and severely punish those who are caught with illegal drugs.  The fact that 3,000 people died from overdose is not any sort of deterrent. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

This was in part due to the focus on rehabilitation instead of punishment, especially for drug offenses.

I believe they consider "caning" to be rehabilitation. 

Also people are sentenced to prison and potentially rehabilitated only if the amount caught with is less than the amount considered for the person to be considered a trafficker. 
image.png.3a62c7c91eb2417982cf6f539c2be057.png

Also they definitely cut the recidivism rate for traffickers.  The penalty of death is MANDATORY

image.png

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Locking them up is not the answer either if all they are is using for personal use and not selling.  If arrested they should be put on supervised release where they are tested frequently.

Locking up the offender is not going to accomplish much if anything.  However executing those trafficking in drugs will reduce the supply and hence the number of people who become addicted and/or exposed to drug usage. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Smithson said:

Singapore is an island state know for it's lack of human rights

The fact that Singapore is an island is irrelevant. 

Now perhaps you are worried about the rights of drug traffickers. The drug trafficker is certainly not concerned with the "human rights" of others. 

You see I am more concerned over the rights and lives of those the traffickers take away and the victims of the crimes caused in those who steal to support their drug habits.