Another "What did you DIY at the weekend" thread.

Crossy

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

My son in the UK has an Alexa which controls his lights etc.

She quite happily turns off his lights when I tell her over a Line call. Must set his thermostat to 5C.

Forgot to mention the 2 infra red hubs, I can control the house TVs and air-con as well.

8 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Life is a DIY project  - love this thread.

Before embarking on my latest solar upgrade I decided to convert my mechanical room into a workshop. I admit to borrowing some ideas from a fellow expat.

My workshop only looks like that about every 18 months when it gets a "bit of a tidy", I'm definitely a somewhat messy worker.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently converting the unused gazebo bit of the double-wide car port, that over the years had morphed into my open-air work and storage 'glory hole', into my enclosed, air conditioned (and beer fridged) man cave.

Mrs NL came up with the idea while I was back in the UK so the old roof was repaired, walls built and windows and doors fitted. I've done all the internal wiring already (one can never have enough outlets!) and was planning getting a local sparky to run the wiring to the new concealed roof lighting as well as applying the external power. This was due to the size of the manhole they left on the inner ceiling and the fact that a 100 kg farang in the small attic would be far too perilous. Anyhow, brother-in-law (who also did the reconstruction) has volunteered to do the lights so I may go ahead and do the external supply upgrade myself. Then I'll get an air conditioner installed before going ahead with a laminate floor over the original mix-n-match tile of the gazebo floor.

Then I'll put in the fridge, fill it with beer and while that's cooling, move my office desk in with a new office chair and put my feet up.

A small workbench and storage area is planned for one half/two walls of the room and an outside work bench on the shaded back wall for big or messy jobs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bbko said:

Every year after the rainy season I like to keep the house looking fresh by painting around the house.  The past 2 days spent cleaning and refreshing the front gate, new paint on the steel and new protectant on the "wood" aluminum slats (but as you can see in the photo, I ran out and need to buy some more).

Can you come and do ours please? I really hate rubbing down all the nice wood to re-varnish.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...