Visa exempt

4 hours ago, geordie said:

If I came in on a single entry tourist visa 60 days, does my insurance cover need to cover the 60 days.

Probably.

Why would you want it to not cover the whole 60 days? Especially with COVID and traffic accidents?

So many GoFundMe of foreigners stuck in hospitals with no money, because didn't have insurance...

Edited by ThLT
  • Confused 1

OP, I don't understand some of the replies.

You plan to enter VE and stay for 19 days. You most likely have onward flight. 

You will require insurance for 19 days. Most likely insurance company will offer 30 day policy.

That will satisfy requirements.

If for some reason you decide to stay longer and obtain 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry you will NOT require added insurance.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

There ist no limit if entering by plane

attached info from MFA appears to indicate 90 day limit per 6 months. There have been pre covid reports of "various" airport I/O interpretations re Visa Exemption as also on some forums. The waters a bit muddied, however i am considering using this 90 day limit per 6 month "rule" in 2022 for 3 or 4 visits over the full year. As i see it my 30 to 60 day visits don't really necessitate visa applications.

MFA visa exempt (2).png

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That info has been out of date since 2008

THX UJ.

OK, current MFA website is outdated.

Where then can i find a link for up to date info from relevant authority re limited/unlimited visa exemption entries cos that is my future preferred choice.

I'm wanting to avoid the TR60 options of Evisa or posting passport to other side of Australia.    

24 minutes ago, Bvor said:

limited/unlimited visa exemption entries cos that is my future preferred choice.

What's your plan re amount of time spent in Thailand. There is no limit on visa exempt entries via air however continuous back to back entries may ultimately cause you an issue. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What's your plan re amount of time spent in Thailand.

Uncertain, probably 1 month in 2/3 months out or 2 months in 2 months out.

a bit unusual but all things considered thats what now suits me at age 70 after 15 years on/off visits.

UJ's Order No778/2551 indicates "multiple entries". I wonder how airport I/O defines "multiple"

Shouldn't be of concern to me anyways at my age, no back to back entries and only 3 or 4 entries per year.

6 minutes ago, Bvor said:

Shouldn't be of concern to me anyways at my age, no back to back entries and only 3 or 4 entries per year

By back to back visa exempt entries I mean fly out and back in day or 2.

The time between entries via air also comes into play.

Pattern such as 2 in 2 out etc won't be a problem. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The time between entries via air also comes into play.

yeah, always do 2 months R&R back in perth between entries.

maybe TIT has got me overthinking matters but i wonder if multiple entries actually means unlimited entries.

doesn't affect me but possibly can for other scenerios.

31 minutes ago, Bvor said:

yeah, always do 2 months R&R back in perth between entries.

maybe TIT has got me overthinking matters but i wonder if multiple entries actually means unlimited entries.

doesn't affect me but possibly can for other scenerios.

Some folk try and live in Thailand ongoing fulltime with tourist visas and visa exempt entries via air and couple of border entries. 

Your not planning to do that. 

No problem.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your not planning to do that. 

No problem.

agreed, thx for your replies

my query is kind of a moot point.

whilst i wonder where I/O will draw the line in the sand re visa exemption definition of multiple entries and length of time between entries it don't affect me for now and as such be it as it may.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack the thread but I don’t want to create a new thread on visa exempt plus what I am planning and what my options are.

Depending on certain conditions, I might go for in Q1 next year for a long term retirement.

I will initially do visa exempt for a month. This is my question though. Want are my best option for next steps? I want a trial of 3 months total before deciding if I will go for a non O extension via retirement. 
1 Shall I extend for a month visa, then can I ask for non O after that for another 2 months and processing the 1 year extension on the last month prior to expiration.

2 Or am I forced to ask for a 2 months Non O and processing the 1 year extension during the last month. This will give me just 2 months to decide though, to stay for at least a year.

It is around march/april. If there is still Covid extension, that’s what I’ll use, but if it is no longer available, which is applicable for me above? Or other options pls. I am hoping the first option is even possible as I will do that. It is the ideal for me as I have never spent longer than a month in Thailand before.

Some info. I am 50 yo. It will be for Bangkok. I have the 800k already in the local bank there. I have a dual citizenship (France/Philippines). If I decide not to go for long term in Thailand, I’ll go to the Philippines. 
I am currently based in Europe. If Thailand or Philippines does not work out for me in the next 2 years, I may go back to Europe. 
sorry if some info are irrelevant. 
Thanks.

11 minutes ago, ryanqqq said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but I don’t want to create a new thread on visa exempt plus what I am planning and what my options are.

Depending on certain conditions, I might go for in Q1 next year for a long term retirement.

I will initially do visa exempt for a month. This is my question though. Want are my best option for next steps? I want a trial of 3 months total before deciding if I will go for a non O extension via retirement. 
1 Shall I extend for a month visa, then can I ask for non O after that for another 2 months and processing the 1 year extension on the last month prior to expiration.

2 Or am I forced to ask for a 2 months Non O and processing the 1 year extension during the last month. This will give me just 2 months to decide though, to stay for at least a year.

It is around march/april. If there is still Covid extension, that’s what I’ll use, but if it is no longer available, which is applicable for me above? Or other options pls. I am hoping the first option is even possible as I will do that. It is the ideal for me as I have never spent longer than a month in Thailand before.

Some info. I am 50 yo. It will be for Bangkok. I have the 800k already in the local bank there. I have a dual citizenship (France/Philippines). If I decide not to go for long term in Thailand, I’ll go to the Philippines. 
I am currently based in Europe. If Thailand or Philippines does not work out for me in the next 2 years, I may go back to Europe. 
sorry if some info are irrelevant. 
Thanks.

Only had quick skim of your post.

1. Enter visa exempt. (As you have existing bank account).

2. Obtain non O retirement. 800k in Thai bank account on day of application.

3. That non O gives you 90 day stamp.

4. Obtain 12 month extension (if looking positive at that time)

5. Not happy here withdraw your money and leave Thailand anytime during that 12 month.

Plan 2. Use agent to obtain non O + 12 month extension ...cost ~25k+.

UP2 U.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Only had quick skim of your post.

1. Enter visa exempt. (As you have existing bank account).

2. Obtain non O retirement. 800k in Thai bank account on day of application.

3. That non O gives you 90 day stamp.

4. Obtain 12 month extension (if looking positive at that time)

5. Not happy here withdraw your money and leave Thailand anytime during that 12 month.

Plan 2. Use agent to obtain non O + 12 month extension ...cost ~25k+.

UP2 U.

Thanks for quick response. I’m daft. Thought Non O gives 60 days only. The additional 90 days gives me the time I need to decide including ample time to process the 1 year  extension through retirement.

1 minute ago, ryanqqq said:

The additional 90 days gives me the time I need to decide including ample time to process the 1 year  extension through retirement.

Since your looking for some time to think about things....be aware that a visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days.

Also after that (if available) you could obtain covid extension 60 day.

That would not stop you from obtaining a non O retirement. 90 days. 

The 12 month extension applied for in last 30 days of that permit requires the 800k to have been in bank for 2 months 

Keep in mind it's still your money to withdrawal and return to home country if you decide it's not for you.

One thing you may not have considered is that with the extension and maintain funds you can purchase reentry permit and use this as ongoing way to visit or live in Thailand.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Since your looking for some time to think about things....be aware that a visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days.

Also after that (if available) you could obtain covid extension 60 day.

That would not stop you from obtaining a non O retirement. 90 days. 

The 12 month extension applied for in last 30 days of that permit requires the 800k to have been in bank for 2 months 

Keep in mind it's still your money to withdrawal and return to home country if you decide it's not for you.

One thing you may not have considered is that with the extension and maintain funds you can purchase reentry permit and use this as ongoing way to visit or live in Thailand.

Everything is much clearer now. I might indeed do the normal extension and Covid extension if that is still available. 
The re entry permit is a good info. Thanks. Depending on conditions then, I will definitely need that as I would like to travel to neighboring countries during my stay in Thailand.

If I decide to be based elsewhere, I’d withdraw some of the money but will still leave some as I will definitely go back to Thailand anyway even for a few months of stay. 

Edited by ryanqqq

1 minute ago, ryanqqq said:

The re entry permit is a good info. Thanks

Forgot to mention that you can opt for multi reentry permit.

Cost 3800baht.

Close to break even for 3 reentry. 

Adds to notion of having annual extension that you can protect with multi reentry permit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThLT said:

Probably.

Why would you want it to not cover the whole 60 days? Especially with COVID and traffic accidents?

So many GoFundMe of foreigners stuck in hospitals with no money, because didn't have insurance...

The reason I asked about the insurance cover on a 60 day single entry visa is because I need to renew my driving licence and I cannot do this on a visa exempt.

I work 28 days on 28 days off, so I cannot apply for the right to remain at immigration because of the 30 day under consideration.

This has nothing to do with go fund me.

Edited by geordie
Spelling

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That info has been out of date since 2008 when a immigration order was issued that rescinded the 90 days in 6 months rule. That is also when the 15 days at border crossings started and then was rescinded in 2015 when they changed it to 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings.

The MFA has nothing to do with visa exempt entries and you will find lots of incorrect or outdated on embassy and consulate websites.

so currently the land border runs are 30 days (precovid) not the 15 days. and u can do the land run twice per year (precovid) 

On 12/14/2021 at 6:46 AM, geordie said:

The reason I asked about the insurance cover on a 60 day single entry visa is because I need to renew my driving licence and I cannot do this on a visa exempt.

I just came back in 12 days ago; I renewed my recently expired Driver Lisc and picked it up 2 days ago using a visa exempt.  Only twist was they only gave me two years/temp.

1 hour ago, MiclB said:

I just came back in 12 days ago; I renewed my recently expired Driver Lisc and picked it up 2 days ago using a visa exempt.  Only twist was they only gave me two years/temp.

Thanks for the reply MicIB,

I went to the road off last month and they said I needed a proper visa.

I have now applied for a single entry visa which is being processed so I will renew next time back.

Edited by geordie

On 12/13/2021 at 12:52 AM, DrJack54 said:

OP, I don't understand some of the replies.

You plan to enter VE and stay for 19 days. You most likely have onward flight. 

You will require insurance for 19 days. Most likely insurance company will offer 30 day policy.

That will satisfy requirements.

If for some reason you decide to stay longer and obtain 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry you will NOT require added insurance.

Luma gave me insurance for the exact dates I would be there, and less than 30 days.

9 minutes ago, Trvlr55 said:

Luma gave me insurance for the exact dates I would be there, and less than 30 days.

Were you required to show onward flight ? 

Meaning show you were to exit Thailand by certain date. 

Keep an eye on the OP. 

Here is snipit.

"If  I came in on a single entry tourist visa 60 days, does my insurance cover need to cover the 60 days."

Edited by DrJack54