The best country for expats to relocate to has been named

ezzra

15 hours ago, Jerno said:

Canada's great place, but housing costs in any major city is horrific.  Average house price in Toronto is over CA$1,300,000.  Try that as expat on a pension or retirement savings.

1.3 million is the price of a townhouse in Mississauga. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I just relocated to the sunny coast in Turkey. ...

I have a chance to visit Turkey this coming spring.  Friends (Turkish guy, Thai wife) are going back from USA to visit family.  We've known them for 20+ years and get along well.  His wife even speaks the same Isaan Lao as my wife (Luang Prabang dialect - Loei/Petchabun), but louder ????.  Not sure which area he plans to visit.  We'll see. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:15 AM, Jerno said:

Canada's great place, but housing costs in any major city is horrific.  Average house price in Toronto is over CA$1,300,000.  Try that as expat on a pension or retirement savings.

I used to live in the snow belt in Canada,if i compare the cold over there to sitting outside over here

having my morning coffee,no need for a snow blower here.

6 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

This is hilarious. I visited seven or eight cities in Turkey in the late winter to spring, and Fethiye was the*only* dump I promised myself I would never return to - ugly city, aggressive drunk, criminal vibe etc.  of course, this was all downtiwn. There was one small city (town) very nearby Fethiye that I would consider but only for a very quiet existence. Mostly I loved Istanbul, Gaziantep, and Antakya.

Turkey is an open secret for European expats. So few Americans and Canadians. I could elucidate the major attractions. Basically I agree with you, especially on the 'not a place to find hookers'. Turkish men go to Ukraine, Dubai and Thailand. But for breakfast spreads, excellent infrastructure, moderate Islam (even the call to prayer is tolerable in most places), nice people and super value. Best place in the world for kindness to stray dogs and cats.

If I wasn't interested in getting laid by a non-gf under 23 I would completely give up on Thailand vs. Turkey. I met numerous older women in a certain chain shop who clearly I could have booked up with. Frankly, Turkey is much more of a homosexual scene. A gay friend swears by the place, but for affairs, not P4P. The moustached and bearded macho men are stunning, the women mediocre. If only I could change my taste - I adore tiny, hairless, small to medium-breasted super-slim gals 18-21. Turkey is a waste of time for this profile. Actually, so lately (as a retiree on a low budget) is Thailand!

Cool!

More on Turkey.

How about tiny, hairless, small to medium-breasted super-slim GUYS? Ha ha

• Haha 1

Re: International Living

That resource for me is very inappropriate (in the true meaning of the word). Their targeted demographic is clearly American and Canadian couples, who have 'means' (i.e. substantial savings and income), In fact, I suspect that their major income is real estate advertorials.  You aren't paying a serious subscription fee ($250 per year) that would make intelligence-gathering high standard. So, the content is worse than mediocre IMHO. I find their intelligence on exotic places very weak. Portugal, Spain, Latvia. Oh!

Context: I have been spending aprox. 1/3 of evey year overseas, mostly in Asia (especially SEA) for thirty years. IL completely bores me to tears. Nothing I can chew on - Myanmar, DRC, Venezuela, Borneo's three options, barely anything even on Asia.

Plus, I live on CAD2K per month and avoid relationships that last more than three hours. Absolutely not their targeted readership.

Edited by World Traveller2
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The horn/beeper noise from the motorbikes makes Vietnam to be unlivable, for me  

Been there lots in the past few years pre-COVID.

I didn't even notice any road noise when I had a room overlooking Sept11 park in Saigon.

One of the locals had to teach me to cross the road though, "Just pretend there's no traffic and walk out, they will all avoid you"

• Like 2

Simon43, the drunk was a young local. Certainly not the level of public drunkeness as in Ukraine.  This guy was a one-off, the only anti-social behaviour I observed in two months in fact.  Still, as I said Fethiye was the only place I visited were the hotels were lousy value and somebody high on something was making a nuisance of himself. Also, the food sucked. Could have just been I had 24-hour bad luck. But the place was so out of character with say, Alanya or Antalya, I quickly moved on. Oh, there was one other place in my explorations along the eastern coast and further inland that I did not like - Mardin. My Kurdish friend raved about the place. What a disappointment!

I am sure there are hundreds of places I would like a lot in Turkey. And the country makes staying there for retirees a lot easier than a certain ASEAN nation that lost its shine 10-15 years ago. Plus, high-speed rail is a reality, not just talk. Infrastructure was so good it reminded me of Japan. Turkey is *not* the Middle East - not in any way.

I tried to get to Northern Cyprus but the borders were closed in March.

Edited by World Traveller2
  • Like 2

[quote]... also the food sucked... [/quote]

I'm sure a lot of places serve cheap food for the expat retiree crowd - I saw chicken and chips, loads of cheap meat etc.  But I'm a healthy eater, mainly salads and nuts.  The salads that I've been served so far in Fethiye have been freshly-prepared and full of different veggies etc.  So I'm happy with the kind of food that is available ????

On 12/14/2021 at 7:27 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the point of such best of lists?

Like: what's the best car? What's the best computer? What's the best whatever?

Answer: It depends on what you are looking for. There is no such thing as "the best" for all of us.

The list is made for "Best country for working expats", and not best for  retired retarded expats. Thailand is still one of the best options in that category.

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

Downsides for me:

2 - Women are really not of interest to me here - I'm not a hansum man. (I plan a 2 week holiday of debauchery in LoS sometime next year...)

Turkey is if anything a paradise for gay men, not a paradise for straight mongers for sure. So if women are not your thing that should not be a downside.

P.S. Countries in SA that to my knowledge do not tax foreign pensions (given the right visa) are:

Chile

Ecuador

Peru

Costa Rica

Panama

Uruguay

Argentina

Most will tax other type of revenue though. Uruguay only taxes what is earnt within Uruguay.

Edited by JackGats

55 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The list is made for "Best country for working expats", and not best for  retired retarded expats. Thailand is still one of the best options in that category.

But even then it makes little sense. Or do all working expats have the same goals, like to live in the same climate, speak the same language, etc.? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1