The best country for expats to relocate to has been named

ezzra

12 hours ago, mfd101 said:

So, Taiwan OK till the pre-invasion bombardment starts. Mexico has 7 of the 10 most-violent cities in the world. Costa Rica good & safe. Malaysia, . Portugal excellent. NZ boring but safe. Oz nice but expensive (across NSW, not just Sinnee, average house price is AUD 1,100,000). Ecuador mmmm till the next upheaval. Canada nice, chilly & expensive. Veetnaam splendid to visit but crime rates are high ...

And then there's Surin. Ah Surin, nice one minute, boring the next, but safe except for the tropical diseases & the burglars.

11 hours ago, RmcaIssan said:

Good summary ..definition of 'best' is seriously subjective ..

Certainly agree on Portugal ..great place and easy to pop into Spain 

Turkey (Adana)  and Greece maybe ..both great food 

No mention of the Philippines ..

Malaysia ..big place many options and islands 

Surin .. bit of excitement now as elephant festival is on ..????

mfd101 ^^^ says:

“… And then there's Surin. Ah Surin, nice one minute, boring the next, but safe except for the tropical diseases & the burglars.”

Rmcaissan ^^^ says:
“… Surin .. bit of excitement now as elephant festival is on ..????

Strange that you should both mention Surin! Warning to fellow readers/posters do not click on the link below, if you have a queasy stomach.

Surin? No thanks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10303791/8ft-python-regurgitates-Thai-familys-pet-cat-eating-Video.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed_article&ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the point of such best of lists?

Like: what's the best car? What's the best computer? What's the best whatever?

Answer: It depends on what you are looking for. There is no such thing as "the best" for all of us.

Exactly. Yet, some thrive on the easier indoctrinated ideals of invented comparatives and superlatives - both, which have little to do with anything. 

.....and we continue to be engaged in the dumbing down.

• Like 2

The article and list doesn't even consider libido which is strange as everyone I know who thinks about relocating considers the availability of a partner as the number one consideration!

Women, cost of living, long stay visa and weather. And Canada makes the list!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

You know nothing about NZ or Australia I live in OZ on a pension (since I lost every thing in the land of lies) I don't have property I pay rent and I live quiet well

Both Australia and New Zealand are great places, with some brilliant scenery and adventure if that's what's wanted, however it is very expensive to live in the major cities in both of these places.

If one is looking for "girls" then neither of those two places would be anything like what's available here in Thailand, so it all depends on what one wants in their "relocation".

Not only that, houses are expensive in the major cities both Australia and NZ, however there are some very picturesque small towns and out of the way places where retirement could be peacefully enjoyed.

Beaches and the sea are major draw cards for those two countries, and for me I thought the scenery in NZ, especially in the South Island was fantastic, not to mention the lovely vineyards and wine, and that also applies to Australia.

I did a bit of trout fishing, as well as a bit of sea fishing in NZ and thoroughly enjoyed it, so one might ask what the hell am I doing in Thailand??

Well I came here to retire and relax and escape from the rat race, as well as to get over a potentially severe medical condition, this along with the desire to party, party just in case my medical condition shortened my lifespan!

Well here I am, 15 years later after moving and am quite settled in Thailand and I don't see myself moving back to NZ, and even if I wanted to I doubt whether I could afford it these days, although I can live like a king in Thailand, I couldn't in NZ or Oz, although my wine bill would be a lot less!! 

If I had to relocate to another country  then I would consider Spain or Portugal or possibly Malta, and then again there is always Rarotonga (look it up), which is very beautiful and peaceful, but extremely boring! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I was thinking about relocating to Mexico recently. We just spent some time there in Baja and Baja has three of the cities with some of the highest homicide rates in all of Mexico. The cartels are fighting for territory, America's ridiculous war on drugs is adding fuel to the fire, things do not seem to be getting any better.

The food was fantastic, the seafood was sublime, the people are cool, cities are decent, the cost of living higher than I would have thought, but the security situation is out of control. Heavily armed police were everywhere with machine guns, army trucks with 20 soldiers on the back with high caliber machine guns, and it's a very very insecure place at the moment. 

So check out

Merida

Queretaro

Puerto Vallarta

Etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mfd101 said:

So, Taiwan OK till the pre-invasion bombardment starts. Mexico has 7 of the 10 most-violent cities in the world. Costa Rica good & safe. Malaysia mmm . Portugal excellent. NZ boring but safe. Oz nice but expensive (across NSW, not just Sinnee, average house price is AUD 1,100,000). Ecuador mmmm till the next upheaval. Canada nice, chilly & expensive. Veetnaam splendid to visit but crime rates are high ...

And then there's Surin. Ah Surin, nice one minute, boring the next, but safe except for the tropical diseases & the burglars.

Agree with all your comments; and hey they all have plenty of advantages, depends what you are looking for. But my issue with Portugal is that the government is broke (like many governments, but worse), taxes will rise and they will also coming knocking for your money when the crisis unfolds.

• Sad 1