The best country for expats to relocate to has been named

ezzra

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But even then it makes little sense. Or do all working expats have the same goals, like to live in the same climate, speak the same language, etc.? 

Easy answer yes, they need pretty much the same basic things related to work and family things. But for me retired, no kids, the basic things narrows down quite a bit for my needs. 

Warm country, safety for living and travelling around, interesting activities,  a woman and comfortable living costs.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But even then it makes little sense. Or do all working expats have the same goals, like to live in the same climate, speak the same language, etc.? 

Easy answer yes, they need pretty much the same basic things related to work and family things. But for me retired, no kids, the basic things narrows down quite a bit for my needs. 

Warm country, safety for living and travelling around, interesting activities,  a woman and comfortable living costs.

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

I also did this before relocating to Turkey.  I found that ALL countries using the Euro were more expensive than countries not using it, although of course, there was variation in living costs between those euro countries.

For example, look at this comparison between Fethiye, Turkey (where I now live), and Corfu, Greece, which is also a popular destination for retirees:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Turkey&country2=Greece&city1=Fethiye&city2=Corfu

Rent prices in Corfu are 115% higher than in Fethiye

Restaurant prices are 419% (!!) higher than in Fethiye

Grocery prices are 240% higher than in Fethiye

The difference is staggering - no problem of course if you have the cash......

Well, you cannot compare Corfu, Mykonos or Santorini to Fethiye. It would be like comparing Miami, Florida  to Lake Charles, Louisiana.

Although Athens would not on your list, considering the choice you made, you would be surprised by the low cost of living. I spend more in Thailand than in Greece, by all means and I am referring to basics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alyx said:

Well, you cannot compare Corfu, Mykonos or Santorini to Fethiye. It would be like comparing Miami, Florida  to Lake Charles, Louisiana.

Although Athens would not on your list, considering the choice you made, you would be surprised by the low cost of living. I spend more in Thailand than in Greece, by all means and I am referring to basics.

I have zero idea as to the difference between Miami and Lake Charles....  I'm not from the USA.  

Anyway, it certainly looks fine to me - photo taken this afternoon.

fet.thumb.jpg.2b166058190c46a70ffb58db444c29a9.jpg

Places like Athens were never on my list of potential choices.  I don't like cities.  I did compare places in Crete with Turkey, but the cost of living difference was still very high.  Why should I pay 10 euros for an inexpensive meal in Crete when the same meal costs me 2.14 Euro in Fethiye? (prices according to numbeo). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I have zero idea as to the difference between Miami and Lake Charles....  I'm not from the USA.  

Anyway, it certainly looks fine to me - photo taken this afternoon.

fet.thumb.jpg.2b166058190c46a70ffb58db444c29a9.jpg

Places like Athens were never on my list of potential choices.  I don't like cities.  I did compare places in Crete with Turkey, but the cost of living difference was still very high.  Why should I pay 10 euros for an inexpensive meal in Crete when the same meal costs me 2.14 Euro in Fethiye? (prices according to numbeo). 

What's your experience of prices on the ground Simon?

Because of high inflation are those numbeo prices correct?

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:15 PM, Jerno said:

Canada's great place, but housing costs in any major city is horrific.  Average house price in Toronto is over CA$1,300,000.  Try that as expat on a pension or retirement savings.

I think New Zealand, Australia and Canada are meant to be the best retirement destinations for autocrats who stole a lot of money and want to give their children foreign citizenships. 

Cost of living is one thing but you want to keep your life and money.

Mexico and Costa Rica are 2 of the biggest cartel controlled, scam rip off crime laden countries I have ever been.  Check out the recent shootings on the beaches and crime sprees in Cancun and other areas and murders are rampant.

Much much worse then Thailand.

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and it's cold. Why would anyone voluntarily retire to such a cold place?

Skiing, hiking, climbing, hunting, fishing, canoe, kayak, outdoor life? And this list is for working expats not retirement!

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Reading the posts in this thread I get the impression, that cost of living is the main point for to be named as the "best country".

If beer is cheap, human rights, the rule of law, freedom of speech, transparency do not matter and hardcore dictators like Erdoghan are ok.

According to that, North Korea could be the best country to retire, if the prices ar low enough.

Amazing.

Name a country that has 'human rights' as it's priority.  I left the USA, after they, and the rest of the 'good moral' countries joined in, and starting invading and occupying sovereign countries (Iraq & Afghan) for NO reason, simply because they could.  Killed, direct or indirectly about 1 million people and displaced even more millions.

Can't fight the tyranny, under any name, so it's me me me situation.  No different than shopping, I have no allegiance, give me the best product for fair price, and I'm going with that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Your knowledge about the meaning of human rights seems to be a bit limited ????

Coming from the British Empire, Commonwealth of Nations, Great Britain, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and England, i can understand when it ends up as Brexit, it can be some kind of confusing with all this Human rights and so on

On 12/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, mfd101 said:

And then there's Surin. Ah Surin, nice one minute, boring the next, but safe except for the tropical diseases & the burglars.

Snakes.  You forgot the snakes.

I have a cousin who's lived in Ecuador nearly 5 years and still loves it.  

Edited by dddave
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, mfd101 said:

So, Taiwan OK till the pre-invasion bombardment starts. Mexico has 7 of the 10 most-violent cities in the world. Costa Rica good & safe. Malaysia Portugal excellent. NZ boring but safe. Oz nice but expensive (across NSW, not just Sinnee, average house price is AUD 1,100,000). Ecuador mmmm till the next upheaval. Canada nice, chilly & expensive. Veetnaam splendid to visit but crime rates are high ...

And then there's Surin. Ah Surin, nice one minute, boring the next, but safe except for the tropical diseases & the burglars.

Nailed it mfd…. just change Surin for Kata ! Ha ????

44 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

As soon as my son finishes highschool and is ready for university, I'll relocate from Thailand and SEA to - most likely - southern France, Spain, or Italy. Australia and New Zealand would be an option, if things turn to worse in the EU countries.

Spain & Italy my Dream Locations for Culture / Lifestyle having lived and worked there. Can’t afford it though & very happy semi- retired with my Thai Lady / Son in Phuket. They have stayed in Europe with me but would not handle relocation well.

Re: crime

All I care about is violent crime and theft. I actually like a little corruption and white collar crime is not relevant to me.

Only countries I have spent a lot of time where I have been the victim of crime are Vietnam (snatch-robbed twice) and Canada (assaulted by a stranger - a First Nations minor using drugs - judge at her trial refused to make her, her family or community elders to pay me one cent in restorative justice, so I gave up on the system there - at least in Cambodia, victim's family is restituted).

Only country where I spent very little time but was snatch-robbed (plus several close calls) is Philippines. Generally, it seems Buddhist and Muslim countries are safer. Co-incidence?

Police states such as Cuba are very safe in my experience, as is Turkey.

I also like slightly cosmopolitan cultures or those which have a homogenous dominant ethnic group, rather than an ongoing issue with illegal mass immigration (Serbia for example - it creates a reaction from the far right, for one).  However immigration from bordering countries does have some advantages in P4P. Take Cambodia in the 1990s (from Vietnam) and Thailand also (Myanmar and Laos). Also, some problems too. I am nothing, if not a selfish opportunist

Edited by World Traveller2
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 1:31 PM, World Traveller2 said:

As someone who tried relocating to Malaysia, be advised that unless you stay in a ritzy *high* high rise, unless you want to wake up at 05:30 every morning for the rest of your life, reconsider. Also, as a foreign retiree we are forbidden from buying modest working-class row houses. And the most desirable place for me (Georgetown) with a large ethnic Chinese Buddhist population, had property prices beyond my means.

But nice people all over Malaysia, very flirtatious women (Muslim ones being the most keen), multi-ethnic cuisine, and better value medical care than Thailand. Plus proximity to first world Singapore and an easy lingo to learn.

In brief, unlike in Turkey the call to prayer is loud and ugly, and the connection between politics and religion is too cozy for my liking. Dubai in the Gulf is much less Islamic. Be warned.

Thanks for the information, I get up at 6 am already so it wouldn't be a big problem to wake up half an hour earlier, but it seems to me that you can't get a visa if you don't have a monthly income of $ 2500?

• Thanks 1