What booster should I get?

MRToMRT

I have had two shots of Astra, and want to get a booster (at a private hospital in Bangkok this time).

What vaccines can I get (AZ, Mod, Pfizer, etc) that would be "compatible" with the two AZ shots. Can I just get any or is one or another type more recommended. 

In my opinion, it's better not to mix and match different vaccine technology. We won't know the side effects until after a few years.

Moderna and Pfizer use mrna tech whereas AZ use a different adenovirus tech to produce the spike proteins.

If you have taken AZ without any adverse side effects, then just stick to AZ.

Different people have different reaction to different vaccines.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

It's always a prudent idea to consult a trusted medical provider on getting a booster of anything different from you had for the earlier vaccines.  That said, it appears that the mRNA vaccines are the preferred booster: 

These are the mRNA vaccines, which appear to be more effective as a booster dose compared to other COVID vaccines, such as AstraZeneca. The recent Cov-Boost study, which investigated which vaccine type performed best when given as a third dose, found the mRNA vaccines gave the highest uplift in antibodies.

https://theconversation.com/omicron-and-covid-boosters-everything-you-need-to-know-173694

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scott said:

It's always a prudent idea to consult a trusted medical provider on getting a booster of anything different from you had for the earlier vaccines.  That said, it appears that the mRNA vaccines are the preferred booster: 

These are the mRNA vaccines, which appear to be more effective as a booster dose compared to other COVID vaccines, such as AstraZeneca. The recent Cov-Boost study, which investigated which vaccine type performed best when given as a third dose, found the mRNA vaccines gave the highest uplift in antibodies.

https://theconversation.com/omicron-and-covid-boosters-everything-you-need-to-know-173694

Oz government recommends Moderna for a booster if fully vaxxed with AZ.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/australian-technical-advisory-group-on-immunisation-atagi-recommendations-on-the-use-of-spikevax-moderna-as-a-covid-19-booster-vaccine

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Absolutely, and to add to that - I always check with a medical provider in a Developed country as well as one here in Thailand. Thailand is often behind by some time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

August last year in Bangkok

I think the thai moph/ddc recommendation for 2x AZ is one Pfizer booster at 3-6 months.

You could probably get a Pfizer booster now, at Bang Sue, Fashion Island or Asiatique.

Although the current cut-off is 31 July.

But I think you could get a booster now. I might do a walk-in at Bang Sue, armed with all your paperwork.

MRToMRT - spot on advice from Scott and some others. And the UK's NHS website says this :-

"Most people will be offered a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine or Moderna vaccine.

This means your booster dose may be different from the vaccines you had for your 1st and 2nd doses."

Myself after 2 AZ I'd have Pfizer - Moderna is good but advisedly should be a 50% dose as a booster and I wouldn't be sure that the Authorities here know that ?

So I'd have a Pfizer booster myself and will be dropping into one or two walk-ins today to see if I can get my own 3rd Pfizer, as I had no problem with the Jab 1 and 2. Good luck.

Yes, either Pfizer or Moderna recommended as booster dose after 2 shots of AZ.   Yesterday I had the first of the two Moderna shots that I had purchased back in July, having had two AZ shots (free) in June and September.   It was a full dose of Moderna, not a 50% booster.   Need to wait and see what is the plan for the second Moderna.   New vaccination certificate issued and Mor Prom app updated showing the three doses.   Also got them to update my yellow International Vaccination booklet with the relevant details and of course the hospital stamp.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

In my opinion, it's better not to mix and match different vaccine technology. We won't know the side effects until after a few years.

Moderna and Pfizer use mrna tech whereas AZ use a different adenovirus tech to produce the spike proteins.

They shouldnt be giving AZ as a booster, only Pfizer or Moderna

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

A mate of mine back in the UK, just turned 70 with no underlying health problems, recently received a Pfizer booster five months after his second AZ shot. That's enough guidance for me, when the time comes I'll try and buy a Moderna booster since the Thai government seems to have monopolised all the Pfizer doses. 

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

When you get an influenza vaccine you are actually get about 3-4 different ones mixed together.  Moderna is working on a Covid/Influenza vaccine.  I would imagine other companies are too.  Covid vaccinations in the future may mix different ones together too, just like influenza, to cover multiple strains.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

where can i get a moderna booster . u know if it was given out for free.  more would partake

I don't think there are any free moderna shots.  They had to be bought in advance.  They are still working on giving them to people that have already paid.

Pfizer I believe you can get for free at Bang Sue station.  You may be able to do walk in now.  Pretty sure if you searched the forum you will find some articles on this subject.

You could also call your local government hospital and ask them.

Edited by rwill

9 minutes ago, rwill said:

I don't think there are any free moderna shots.  They had to be bought in advance.  They are still working on giving them to people that have already paid.

Pfizer I believe you can get for free at Bang Sue station.  You may be able to do walk in now.  Pretty sure if you searched the forum you will find some articles on this subject.

You could also call your local government hospital and ask them.

Wife had a Modena booster today (free) at Rangsit Hospital, booked via Mor Promp system last week (there were 4 choices of vax).

I have a Moderna booster vax booked at Med Park in a few weeks (brother in law bought a few of them a while back, didn’t need it, transferred into my name - I think it was about B1500)

Bangkok Hospital sells Moderna for B1650 (purchase a voucher, vax 3 days later).

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wife had a Modena booster today (free) at Rangsit Hospital, booked via Mor Promp system last week (there were 4 choices of vax).

I have a Moderna booster vax booked at Med Park in a few weeks (brother in law bought a few of them a while back, didn’t need it, transferred into my name - I think it was about B1500)

Bangkok Hospital sells Moderna for B1650 (purchase a voucher, vax 3 days later).

What were the 4 choices if you don't mind sharing that Information

just got this from Medicare USA  ..  fyi

Medicare dot gov logo

Get your COVID-19 vaccine booster shot

Even if you're fully vaccinated for COVID-19, it's still important to get your COVID-19 vaccine booster shot. A booster shot increases the strength of your antibody response, so when the COVID-19 virus mutates, a boost makes it more likely that your antibodies can protect you against variants, like Omicron and Delta.

Medicare covers a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot at no cost to you. If you're fully vaccinated, you can get a booster from the same COVID-19 vaccine that you originally got, or choose a different one.

• If you got a Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, you can get a booster shot at least 6 months after you complete your second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine series.
  • If you got a Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, you can get a booster shot at least 2 months after you got your first shot.

Find a Booster

Don't delay  go to Vaccines.gov to find COVID-19 vaccines and boosters near you.

Sincerely,

The Medicare Team

On 12/15/2021 at 7:38 AM, EricTh said:

like he says he does not know ... not a dr

23 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

where can i get a moderna booster . u know if it was given out for free.  more would partake

Sangkha Hospital, Surin. Free. Your choice: Pfizer or Moderna boosters/1st/2nd doses. They have been advertising it for a week and are even doing outreach programs to the villages morning and afternoon with the same choices available as well as AZ. The waiting time after the booster is now down to 15 minutes....Oh, have to return next week to get a certificate they said. Last week they said I needed to travel 50 kms to get the booster. Today they are doing Moderna boosters with a 3+ months window after my 2 x AZ. The news from Bangkok has gotten through. Great professional service. Well done.