"Seven Days" and the likes - inside mall optical chain stores.

watthong

Recently I started to notice a new breed of chain stores selling eyeglasses inside malls, "Seven Days", "Own Days" etc.- looking rather yuppy and quite busy. I think some of them even claim connection to "made in Japan" or from Japan...I wonder anyone of this board have bought glasses from them and how was the experience, price vs product/services? Thank you much in advance.

11 minutes ago, watthong said:

Yes I have heard of this site, but I always wonder how it goes... In my in-store experience, once the eye exam is done, the next step of making sure the frame/lens would fit or "aim" properly before putting in the order is always a rather elaborate procedure.

If you buy the right size frame and arm it usually fits.

Usually the fitting problems in Thailand is because the Opticians only have small sizes in everything.

I buy varifocals from Zenni, $50 including delivery.

The same prescription in Thailand (10 years back) was 8,000bht, and the frame never fitted properly.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Usually the fitting problems in Thailand is because the Opticians only have small sizes in everything.

The same prescription in Thailand (10 years back) was 8,000bht, and the frame never fitted properly.

Glad to hear, if you don't mind, could you tell what to look out for when filling out the order (of course I would need to get the eye prescription first elsewhere...) btw is "varifocals" another name for progressive lens? If so 50 bucks for a pair is a grea deal (delivery to Thailand?) I remember paying close to 200 for one at Costco in the US last time I was there (5 years ago) - but worth it.

2 minutes ago, watthong said:

Glad to hear, if you don't mind, could you tell what to look out for when filling out the order (of course I would need to get the eye prescription first elsewhere...) btw is "varifocals" another name for progressive lens? If so 50 bucks for a pair is a grea deal (delivery to Thailand?) I remember paying close to 200 for one at Costco in the US last time I was there (5 years ago) - but worth it.

Varifocals is English for Progressive in American.

If you get a prescription elsewhere make sure they measure your pupillary distance (PD) on the form.

They like to leave that off.

Delivery is from China, usually arrives in Thailand 10-14 days from ordering.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Varifocals is English for Progressive in American.

If you get a prescription elsewhere make sure they measure your pupillary distance (PD) on the form.

They like to leave that off.

Delivery is from China, usually arrives in Thailand 10-14 days from ordering.

Thank you for the great tip, will look into that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 2:11 PM, dddave said:

I always buy from Zenni but it is true that critical fit can be an issue. 

I'll admit to a bit of a cheat. 

I'll take my new Zenni specs into a decent optical shop and tell them that I accidentally sat on them and would they please check the alignment. 

I always offer to pay for the service though most do it for free.

While you can get a basic pair of varifocals from Zenni for $50, in actuality you'll probably end up paying $100+. 

The $50 price is for the cheapest of frames, many of which may not be suitable for your prescription if it's a strong one. (Zenni will inform you if a selection is incompatible)

Also, most of the very cheap frames have non-adjustable, molded nose pads which for me, is a big negative. 

The lens at that price is the most basic polycarbonate, comparatively thick and heavy with only the most basic of anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings.

Just like buying a car, the ticket goes up as one decides on lighter, thinner, hi-index lenses, hi-grade coatings, tinting and spiffier frames.

I paid $130 for my last pair of "progressives" almost two years ago and felt that at that price, they were still an amazing bargain. 

I did opt for the premium lenses and metal frames, happy to be no longer wearing the "Coke bottle" heavyweights of my first 50 years.

They have held-up very well under daily wear and are comfortable on my nose and ears.

Though I do sometimes clean the lenses with non-approved materials, (my shirt tail) the anti-scratch coating has held up well with no evident hazing.

Thanks for the very detailed and helpful info, much appreciated (sorry couldn't get back sooner due to some family issue - folks visiting - that got me distracted throughout the holidays.) May I ask what kind of adds-on did you choose to arrive at the $130 price tag? Also what kind of pitfalls should I look out for when ordering with Zenni? btw which shop did you go to for the "re-alignment" (assuming you are in Bangkok)? I live in the outskirts and generally shops around here don't speak English...

10 minutes ago, watthong said:

btw which shop did you go to for the "re-alignment"

There are probably other shops which will also do it for you, but the "KT Optic" chain (you can find them in most Big C, etc.) is specifically advertising "free service" (adjusting, cleaning, exchanging nose pads etc.), doesn't matter if you bought the glasses from them or somewhere else.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 2:11 PM, dddave said:

The $50 price is for the cheapest of frames, many of which may not be suitable for your prescription if it's a strong one. (Zenni will inform you if a selection is incompatible)

Also, most of the very cheap frames have non-adjustable, molded nose pads which for me, is a big negative. 

The lens at that price is the most basic polycarbonate, comparatively thick and heavy with only the most basic of anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings.

My $50 glasses are not like that at all, and I have a fairly strong prescription +astigmatism.

Metal frames that last forever, poly isn't thick, and I have wobbly nose pads.

(I always choose 1 level below the poly that's recommended by Zenni, as I don't notice any difference)

I've always found coatings a waste of money.

Way better than the 8,000bht glasses I bought in Thailand.

The frames on those broke in less and a year.

And the lens were exactly the same thickness.

The only difference I could tell between the $50 and 8,000bht glasses ........

The $50 ones had noticeably better quality frames.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, BritManToo said:

I’ve looked into Zenni and I get the impression that they want to sell you the most expensive package.

All I want is functional glasses. How do your find the $50 glasses ?

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Depending on the prescription (i.e. astigmatism) the lenses and frame have to be prepared exactly for the person (distances of the eyes, position of the frame, etc.) - at least if the person wants the best available vision.

I bought now a couple of times prescription lenses for 5,000B a pair (with coating, color, etc.) including installation from a Bangkok optician. He takes his time to measure my vision and he takes his time to fit the lenses.

I use the same titanium frame since forever. I like it and it's still like new.

Could I get cheaper lenses somewhere? I am sure that would be possible. Would they be better or better fitted? I have my doubts. I think 5,000B every couple of years for perfect vision is a very good investment. 

That's what I want! One on one service from an professional that takes time to do the job - and at a reasonable price as that. Could you tell the name of the optician and where the shop is? Thanks,

4 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

How do your find the $50 glasses ?

Go to the www.zennioptical.com website homepage.  Scroll way, way down till you get to a bunch of listings, most in green type under different headings.  On the bottom, far left will be a heading: "Great Deals"   Click and go.

Of course they will try to up-sell you,  They're a business.  You're the customer so you make the choices you want to make.

• Like 2