Staying 31 Days on a Visa Waiver for 30 Days

Yesterday I discovered that one of the return flights for my family (Haneda to Washington D.C.) was canceled. This flight was rebooked to leave out of Narita instead. Once I realized that the rebooked flight departs from Narita, I called back to change the flight from Bangkok so that it arrives in Narita instead of Haneda. However, the flight leaving Bangkok departs in the morning of the day after their original departure date. Since they arrive on December 28 and now depart from Thailand on January 27 (instead of January 26), their stay is now 31 days instead of 30 days.

First question, will this cause any problems on their departure? Will the airlines look at their departure date and prevent them from boarding either in Washington or Narita?

Next question, do they need to do something after arriving in Thailand to allow them to stay the additional day? If so, what do they need to do and where do they need to go to do it? I've heard of obtaining an extension of stay but we've never done this in the past. They plan on spending most of their time in Phatthalung and Krabi.

In case this makes a difference, my family members are traveling with US passports. My wife and daughter have valid Thai IDs and they all have expired Thai passports. Initially they were going to get a Thai ID for my son and renew their Thai passports on this trip, but because they need me (their father) to sign documents we decided not to deal with that on this trip and just renew the Thai passport when they return and wait to get my son's ID later when I'm with them.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

I booked a 30 trip previously however didn't count the day i arrived which was 11pm evening, hence i stayed 31 days. Flight check-in was not problem then when I passed immigration they took me aside, stamped the passport with departure date stamp and I was on my way in 2 minutes. No fine or 'redflag' stamp in passport. 

53 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What time is the Jan 27th flight ? They could clear immigration before midnight on the 26th, and wait a few hours airside.

They arrive at 00:05 on December 28 and depart at 7:05 on January 27. I’ll tell them to make sure they don’t go through immigration on arrival until after midnight. 

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I had a one day overstay, just pay the 500 baht fine at airport and be on your way. No big deal.

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok there will be no overstay fine for a one day overstay.

Some other airports and border crossings may charge the 500 baht fine.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok there will be no overstay fine for a one day overstay.

Some other airports and border crossings may charge the 500 baht fine.

I paid the 500 baht at BKK Airport bout 6 yrs ago.