Convert international driving license into a Thai driving license

matteo73

17 hours ago, skatewash said:

No, I have to disagree it's not nitpicking anymore than it's nitpicking for people to know whether they are in Thailand on a visa or an extension of stay.  There are differences that are significant.

Exactly. If the fake news is not put to bed it spreads like a virus, and we all know where that can go.

In English it is usually referred tp a an "IDP" - international driving permit. Basically it is a translation of your home licence.

In Thailand you'll need you home licence and if they isn't I a recognised language (English, Chinese etc) with a photo, you'll need some form of translation.

To get your 2 year temporary licence you should then be able to bypass much of the test, practical and written - if they so desire.....you will need to provide medical certificate and take their eye and reaction tests.

It seems more and more people are taking the whole test, whether this is policy or just the whims of DLT test centres, I don't know.

this site is recent and covers most stuff

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/thai-driving-license/

You will undoubtedly find differences in difference DLT offices.

for 15 years my D/Ls came from Chonburi without incident. My last renewal was on Samui. I noticed several people being turned away for not wearing respectable clothing.

places like Pattaya seem to have a lot of touts, whose help you don't need.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:40 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

No. The IDL 1968 is valid three years. You can use it in Thailand 3 months (per visit)

THis 3 months is very interesting.

It is quite well established that insurance companies expect anyone who has stayed in Thailand over 90 days needs to have a Thai licence - IDP is not enough.

However, I can't remember where it says this is the law. I thought it was introduced about 4 years ago....regardless of the length of time your IDP is valid, in Thailand you need a Thai licence after 3 months - can't anyone verify this?

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

THis 3 months is very interesting.

It is quite well established that insurance companies expect anyone who has stayed in Thailand over 90 days needs to have a Thai licence - IDP is not enough.

However, I can't remember where it says this is the law. I thought it was introduced about 4 years ago....regardless of the length of time your IDP is valid, in Thailand you need a Thai licence after 3 months - can't anyone verify this?

This is a link to the official Thai govt site that has English translations of Thai laws. Section 42 is the relevant part (pg 22). There is no time limit on use of the IDP in Thai law.

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data//document/ext810/810064_0001.pdf

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 2:29 PM, jackdd said:

Why such nit picking? Everybody here knows what is being talked about.

By the way, you are not even correct, for example the German document (same for Switzerland and Austria) is indeed titled "International driving license" if you translate the German into English.

Finally this “not a license” and “accompanys home DL” nonsense called out . Yes it is & No it doesn’t. Definition of License includes Permit as they are the SAME and have same outcome…..permission to do something . 

Same bs with visa and visa extension. SAME . Both are permits to STAY.

Visas not meant for issue inside the country of stay but TIT. To stay somewhere you must enter that place; no Imm. “purists” responses req’d.

5 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

This is a link to the official Thai govt site that has English translations of Thai laws. Section 42 is the relevant part (pg 22). There is no time limit on use of the IDP in Thai law.

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data//document/ext810/810064_0001.pdf

Yes - I read this some time ago, but I'm left wondering at the accuracy of this government web site.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:27 PM, Thunglom said:

Yes - I read this some time ago, but I'm left wondering at the accuracy of this government web site.

They are the highest authority regarding laws in Thailand, so we can expect them to be quite accurate.

But I did actually verify the translation myself a while ago, it's indeed accurate.

There is no 3 months limit in Thai law, some people just unknowingly spread misinformation and some people do it on purpose to troll.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They are the highest authority regarding laws in Thailand, so we can expect them to be quite accurate.

But I did actually verify the translation myself a while ago, it's indeed accurate.

There is no 3 months limit in Thai law, some people just unknowingly spread misinformation and some people do it on purpose to troll.

It is interesting that the 3 month limitation is not written in the particular law cited.  That doesn't however mean that there isn't a 3 month limitation written elsewhere, for example, in implementation guidelines used by the police, that is sometimes enforced and sometimes not enforced.  Or even that it is the policy of the police to enforce that limitation, whether written or not.  I think it is a bit naive to assume that everything must be published in the Royal Gazette or it's not true.  The details of enforcement in many cases are left to the organization being granted the authority to do something.

The implication that because there is no defined limit in a particular law that you cannot be fined for something is simply not the case.  One cannot also draw the conclusion that because the duration of validity for driving on an IDP is not limited in the particular law cited that it means you can drive on an IDP forever, or until the IDP itself expires.

I've heard the 3 month limitation in a number of places.  It may or may not be true.  Even if true, it may or may not be enforced by all police at all times.  Up to you what you want to believe.  It would be interesting to see people's experience driving for longer than 3 months after entry into Thailand whether anyone has been fined or not.  Of course, if you go get your Thai license within the first 3 months of entry you can avoid the experiment entirely.  

• Like 1

"Highest authority"?? - Not sure what that means.

Te document in question is from 1979. and an unofficial translation.

I'm to sure it's actually the "limitation" that needs to be examined - I believed that it was  any in there country over 3 months is required to have a Thai licence - not so much a limit on the licence but a requirement on the visa or length of stay.

How long is a DLP vlid for anyway?

Edited by Thunglom

On 12/24/2021 at 7:01 AM, jackdd said:

I'm to sure it's actually the "limitation" that needs to be examined - I believed that it was  any in there country over 3 months is required to have a Thai licence - not so much a limit on the licence but a requirement on the visa or length of stay.

I can't find a referee within this document to an IDP either - can you give me te paragraph reference?

How long is a DLP vlid for anyway?

Edited just now by Thunglom

Edited by Thunglom

50 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

The document to which you linked is hosted by the Council of State, they are the goverment department which writes Thai laws, and if any other government department (for example police) would have a question on how to understand a law, they would ask the Council of State. So I call them the highest authority regarding the interpretation of laws.

There is no offcial translation of any law, because the only legally binding version is the original Thai version.

Permanent residents and Thai citizens need to have a Thai driving license, they may not use an IDP.

I can't find a referee within this document to an IDP either - can you give me te paragraph reference?

Section 42, as the previous poster said already.

"with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country" = IDP

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

ection 42, as the previous poster said already.

"with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country" = IDP

........ may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied. "

As I said if there is another regulation not under this introduced since this law then it is quite possible there may be a 3 month requirement to get a Thai D/L - the referenced document doesn't make it clear either way. 

basically nothing you've referenced or posted proves or disproves it.

Edited by Thunglom

9 hours ago, Thunglom said:

What's the definition of that?

A person who is allowed to reside in Thailand permanently.

Here 100+ pages about how to become one: https://aseannow.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

It's an "unofficial translation" from 1979

Well, here is the "official" law, please point out the 3 months limit: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%C301/%C301-20-9999-update.pdf

As I said if there is another regulation not under this introduced since this law then it is quite possible there may be a 3 month requirement to get a Thai D/L - the referenced document doesn't make it clear either way. 

basically nothing you've referenced or posted proves or disproves it.

I obviously can't prove that something doesn't exist.

You claim a 3 month limit exists, so it's your job to provide a proof for it.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

A person who is allowed to reside in Thailand permanently.

Here 100+ pages about how to become one: https://aseannow.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

Well, here is the "official" law, please point out the 3 months limit: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%C301/%C301-20-9999-update.pdf

I obviously can't prove that something doesn't exist.

You claim a 3 month limit exists, so it's your job to provide a proof for it.

It seems you are someone who can find a citation for anything except the point being discussed. I one quote wonder who doesn't understand the discussion.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:02 PM, Peterw42 said:

That is an international driving permit, it accompanies your home country license as a translation document.

There is no such thing as an international driving license.

Peter perfect ,International driving permit is also commonly called an International driving license , so therefore the terminology means same to most educated or if not educated lol

IMG_1557.PNG

8 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

Peter perfect ,International driving permit is also commonly called an International driving license , so therefore the terminology means same to most educated or if not educated lol

IMG_1557.PNG

Maybe read further on the same NRMA website.

image.png.db6142606ca430ec6a8c4191d8fd884d.png

image.png.bc1328fbc916bf0ea5609f7101638419.png

image.png.c571bc5eba80d6a0f8ff913fb5fb5b2d.png

https://www.mynrma.com.au/travel/preparation/international-driving-permits

The NRMA is making a statement that people often refer to an IDP as an international driving license, they are not saying it is a license.

Elsewhere, on the same website, they state "No, there's actually no such licence", "an International Driving Permit (IDP) is an official document advising local authorities that you are licenced to drive in Australia", "An IDP is not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driving licence. You must carry your Australian state/territory licence with your IDP at all times".

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe read further on the same NRMA website.

image.png.db6142606ca430ec6a8c4191d8fd884d.png

image.png.bc1328fbc916bf0ea5609f7101638419.png

image.png.c571bc5eba80d6a0f8ff913fb5fb5b2d.png

https://www.mynrma.com.au/travel/preparation/international-driving-permits

The NRMA is making a statement that people often refer to an IDP as an international driving license, they are not saying it is a license.

Elsewhere, on the same website, they state "No, there's actually no such licence", "an International Driving Permit (IDP) is an official document advising local authorities that you are licenced to drive in Australia", "An IDP is not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driving licence. You must carry your Australian state/territory licence with your IDP at all times".

Try getting Thai police to recite your Australian drivers license then means nothing in Thailand lol , 

On 12/28/2021 at 5:33 PM, Thunglom said:

There is no such thing as an Australian driving licence - they are issued by individual states.

This can be a problem in some countries that require a national driving licence.

Dummy I have a South Australian drivers license which I refer in Thailand as my Australian license, hopefully you can understand that,but would be cheaper to drive in Thailand without one LOL

40 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

Dummy I have a South Australian drivers license which I refer in Thailand as my Australian license, hopefully you can understand that,but would be cheaper to drive in Thailand without one LOL

I have, or rather had, a Qld licence as well as Thai and Uk. The problem is that some Thai officials will not recognise STATE licences as they are not NATIONAL. I'd certainly recommend an IDP with any State only licence.

There is a apparently a rule that insurance companies won't recognise foreign licences or IPDs after three months or on a long term visa - over 3 months - this means that you may not be covered at all after that.

A Thai driving licence cost between 300 and 600 baht

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

My UK IDP elapsed after 6 months. I got a Thai  driving licence arranged quickly but used an agent  to attend to all the details

I've had a Thai licence for 20 years. I got stopped once withy UK DL years ago, and eventually the police accepted it, but wanted an IDP

• Like 1