Thailand may cancel Test & Go due to Omicron: Anutin

webfact

36 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

in my case my plane arrives on Friday around midday, fingers crossed I don't land and only learn then that they've immediately implemented a change like that !

I think in your case the risk is minimal.

It is unlikely that the new rules will be adopted immediately after the government meeting. At least the next day.

37 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

What they could do very easily is just shorten the list of "low-risk" countries that qualify for the Test & Go scheme. The U.K. is surely at big risk of coming off that list !  The govt are meeting Friday is what I'm seeing. I'd love to know what time though !  in my case my plane arrives on Friday around midday, fingers crossed I don't land and only learn then that they've immediately implemented a change like that !

Meeting this afternoon according to the Pattaya News 

I am now confident Omicron will fizzle out. Remember Beta, Gamma, Gamma+? How many more  are needed before it becomes clear nothing will break the 2-months cycle of this virus. Even TP will now will have had a 2-month cycle.

This new setback wouldn't have occurred if TP had brought non negligible numbers of tourists into the country. What with it being only used by the same handful of returning expats, the powers-that-be decided they had nothing to loose by squeezing them for real ASQ money. 

I have my flight on January 13th. Should I get a TP asap or wait for one more week to see what the new requirements are? Nobody knows.

Edited by JackGats
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, placnx said:

Protecting the vulnerable is certainly a priority, but giving up on the rest is not the solution. This was touted early on when the Great Barrington Declaration proposed just this. With the experience of Delta this proposal is now seen as having been wrongheaded. Still, in the US politicians such as the Republican governor of Florida was pushing hard on this line even last March: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/youtube-pulls-florida-governor-s-video-says-his-panel-spread-n1263635 

The Wall Street Journal has not published any op-eds from the Great Barrington trio for several months now.

Yes, they suggested herd immunity, locking Granny and Granda up and letting the virus rip.

Delta would have been licking it's lips. Millions dead globally already and millions more with long covid.

Totally discredited apart from our experts on this forum.

One of the signatures on The Great Barrington Declaration was Dr Johnny Bananas.

Sums up some of are amateur epidemiologists here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tanlic said:

I must be Naive. First I heard was 61 Passengers tersted positive in Holland on a flight from South Africa now we have dozens of passengers arriving in Thailand being tested positive on arrival. Clearly the countries that they are coming from couldn't care less about causing deaths and sickness.....what steps have other countries taken......Obviously these countries are not using test and go and even if they do it does not stop those vaccinated from carrying the virus. I am all for reopening the country for those who live here but all travel should be banned from any other country when possible.......this Phucket Sandbox test and go gives me nightmares. A passenger can show no symtoms and 4 days later has Covid or the new variant......Covid doesn't get into countries on its own it is brought in by tourists and the like.......but not one country has said close down everything so people have been dropping like flies.....Anyone who thinks things are getting better think again if this new variant gets a grip your vaccination without a booster apparently offers no protection against it and people are already going about like they are bombproof with no regard for those who cant be vaccinated. Sorry if I come a cross as a the end is Nigh character I jus worry for my family and friends like anyone else

I understand, it’s another variant, and this May last years ( already 2 !!! ) with more variants coming and going, worse ones or weaker ones. What do we do then ? Keep borders closed, bankrupt millions all over the world ? Live in never ending fear for how long ? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

I understand, it’s another variant, and this May last years ( already 2 !!! ) with more variants coming and going, worse ones or weaker ones. What do we do then ? Keep borders closed, bankrupt millions all over the world ? Live in never ending fear for how long ? 

Chris Whitty, England's chief medical officer, said he reckoned another 18 months.

With each 6 months better than the last.

If i was a betting man, i would go with that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Yes, they suggested herd immunity, locking Granny and Granda up and letting the virus rip.

Delta would have been licking it's lips. Millions dead globally already and millions more with long covid.

Totally discredited apart from our experts on this forum.

One of the signatures on The Great Barrington Declaration was Dr Johnny Bananas.

Sums up some of are amateur epidemiologists here.

amen to that, they all got it wrong, and the anti-vaxx are starting to make sense now, which speaks volume about how mad this world has become ????

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Sad 1

Thailand’s prime minister has ordered the immediate suspension of new registrations for “Test and Go” which allowed tourists to arrive without having to do quarantine. However, people who have already applied will still be allowed to come. More details expected soon.

Richard Barrow on Twitter

Edited by ourmanflint
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Logically the sandbox program prevents nothing.

When first started the big drive for sandbox was that Phuket was higly vaccinated ( 80% ) i believe, if this new variant infects even vaccinated people then the sandbox is surely redundant.

If they allow Sandbox there's no reason not to continue with 'Test and Go'.

It's inevitable IMO quarantine for all entires will return.

You're probably right, we can only hope you're wrong.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:29 AM, Bvor said:

so much for the benefits of double vaccination + booster.

Perhaps someone could have told the vaccine producers last year which variant would be appearing in November of 2021, so you wouldn't have had to lament this.

26 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Thailand’s prime minister has ordered the immediate suspension of new registrations for “Test and Go” which allowed tourists to arrive without having to do quarantine. However, people who have already applied will still be allowed to come. More details expected soon.

Richard Barrow on Twitter

That makes far more sense but if its confirmed officially, those who have a Thailand Pass for January may wish to consider the likelihood of their flight being cancelled.  KLM & Qatar seem to have been the most reliable throughout the Pandemic, if I was coming after the Christmas/New Year holidays, I'd be looking to switch to them.

Edit: Far more sense - depending on what those 'expected' details are.

Edited by KhaoYai

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

That makes far more sense but if its confirmed officially, those who have a Thailand Pass for January may wish to consider the likelihood of their flight being cancelled.  KLM & Qatar seem to have been the most reliable throughout the Pandemic, if I was coming after the Christmas/New Year holidays, I'd be looking to switch to them.

Booked with Thai so would need to make sure we can get back on our booked flight, not just get in

2 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Will wait until more news comes out, pretty confusing at the moment. Some saying those already in test and go are ok, and some saying *all* arrivals must do 7-day sandbox quarantine

Sandbox quarantine or real  (hotel) quarantine?

• Like 1

It was doomed from the start - mismanaged and dismally organized. Any sound reasoning never play a part, shooting themselves in the foot at every turn and unnecessary knee-jerk reactions to this and that. 

We really shouldn't be expecting the test-n-go/non-quarantine programs to be returning any time soon. 

Retaining the old COE/14-day quarantine scheme suits them better......

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Sandbox quarantine or real  (hotel) quarantine?

Not sure,one reporter saying 2nd PCR test compulsory now at govt expense but how that works is uncertain 

@SaksithCNA/Twitter saying govt spokesperson contradicts Prayuth speech

At this rate we may not know what the story is for Pass holders until the first planeliads land...if then.

I really need to find out as the hotel I booked for T&G is definitely not where I would choose to quarantine for 7 days.  So if this is going to be required I need to figure put how to change hotels..quickly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Will wait until more news comes out, pretty confusing at the moment. Some saying those already in test and go are ok, and some saying *all* arrivals must do 7-day sandbox quarantine

In reality, this is quite a simple decision for them so why has nothing been announced officially?  I suspect that those who already have their passes will have to do some form of quarantine - that part may still be being discussed and may be why there's nothing official yet.

Can only speculate at the moment - more finger-nail biting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

At this rate we may not know what the story is for Pass holders until the first planeliads land...if then.

I really need to find out as the hotel I booked for T&G is definitely not where I would choose to quarantine for 7 days.  So if this is going to be required I need to figure put how to change hotels..quickly.

If new applications are suspended, I suspect you'll be stuck with that hotel Sheryl. I'm in the same boat - no way would I stay anywhere near my hotel normally.

Edited by KhaoYai

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I would be so angry if the rules changed whilst I was in the air without giving me the choice to cancel.  However, if people read the terms and conditions of Test & Go, we've all confirmed that they can change the rules at any time.

'I declare that I have understood all that is stated above and shall strictly abide by them, and shall comply with the provisions under relevant Regulations issued under Section 9 of the Emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situations B.E. 2548 (2005) and any other disease prevention measures prescribed by the Government of Thailand, acknowledging that failure of such compliance may lead to consequences and penalties under the laws and regulations of Thailand.'

https://tp.consular.go.th/en/policy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stigar said:

Confirmed today.Quarantene from today 7-10 days.Sorry guys to bring u bad news.

Nyhetsstudio - Thailand innfører innreisekarantene.mhtml 836.24 kB · 1 download

About 200,000 visitors who had previously registered for the quarantine waiver and sandbox programme will still be eligible, said government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

About 200,000 visitors who had previously registered for the quarantine waiver and sandbox programme will still be eligible, said government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana.

Lets hope that they keep what they say.But this goverment u cant trust anyway.

7 minutes ago, stigar said:

Confirmed today.Quarantene from today 7-10 days.Sorry guys to bring u bad news.

Nyhetsstudio - Thailand innfører innreisekarantene.mhtml 836.24 kB · 4 downloads

I'll stick to what the more reliable sources are currently stating, which is that those that already hold the Thailand Pass will be admitted under the same terms, possibly subject to another test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1