Chaing Mai: 100 police mobilized to check on alcohol regulations after weekend report

webfact

ch.jpg

File photo for reference only

The governor of Chiang Mai Thawatchai Pongwiwatnachai was swift to react to scenes in one of the nightlife areas of the city depicted on TV, reports ASEAN NOW.

This came amid a spike in Covid cases among students of Chiang Mai university and the general public. 

Nimmanhemin Soi 7 had featured on The Nation TV though the governor said the report was after closing time. 

It referred to a bar called Neuf (Le Neuf) cafe bar and restaurant who said they were blameless.

There are many restaurants and other establishments in the area selling alcohol and students frequent many of these.

People who went to the air room of the restaurant in question between 6-19th December were advised to watch their symptoms and take a test.

Meanwhile the governor called the commanders of all four downtown police stations to a meeting.

Swiftly after this Thai media showed 100 officers mobilized to check on establishments throughout the northern Thai city to make sure the rules were being followed.

ASEAN NOW notes that there are widespread reports online of alcohol rules being flouted in Pattaya, Bangkok and elsewhere as the Thai public and visitors grow tired of the rules. 

The Chiang Mai governor urged people to call the police if they believe the rules are being flouted. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-21

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

Can anyone please clarify  what the alcohol restrictions are in Chiang Mai just now ???

Can bars open  for sale of alcohol ?? or just restaurants and what times ??

Also notice several u tube videos showing bars full of customers in Pattaya  

What parts of Thailand if any are bars  opened just now  and if not when 

Thanks all as alot of conflicting information out there 

6 hours ago, LetsGoJoe said:

As of last weekend, bars could serve to 10:30pm.

Bars are supposed to be shut, Restaurants  can sell alcohol.

"So long as restaurants have conformed to Covid Free Setting requirements they can serve alcohol from 11 am 2 pm and 5 to 11 pm"

Edited by fangless

4 hours ago, fangless said:

Bars are supposed to be shut, Restaurants  can sell alcohol.

"So long as restaurants have conformed to Covid Free Setting requirements they can serve alcohol from 11 am 2 pm and 5 to 11 pm"

I was at Boy Blues BAR (in ChiangMai) last Friday night, their operating hours were 6:30pm - 10:30pm, they posted to be selling food, which might be a loop-hole, but didn't see any food being offered.

Their first night to re-opened after sometime, good to see the place packed.

17 hours ago, ajnamoon said:

Can anyone please clarify  what the alcohol restrictions are in Chiang Mai just now ???

Can bars open  for sale of alcohol ?? or just restaurants and what times ??

Also notice several u tube videos showing bars full of customers in Pattaya  

What parts of Thailand if any are bars  opened just now  and if not when 

Thanks all as alot of conflicting information out there 

No bars, pubs or clubs can legally open and sell alcoholic drinks in Thailand, at this present time.  Only Restaurants, with a restaurant licence and an SHA+ certification.

47 minutes ago, fangless said:

Where in Chiang Mai are theese places to be found?

They're not- I was just mentioning it.  I'd imagine some bars in CM have done the same thing, but I don't know of any specifically. 

Yes, yes, it's the CM section- I just thought it was kind of humorous and tangentially related to the topic (apparently not).

Edited by flare

On 12/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, mikosan said:

Completely wrong!  Please check your facts before spreading misinformation and rumour.

Check your own "facts".

I was physically in a BAR in Chiang Mai, sipping a JD and listening to Boy tear-up some blues in his bar last Friday. They re-opened, posting hrs from 6:30pm-10:30pm,3-days a week. The place was packed. I'll be heading back again Christmas eve.

Granted, I can't be speaking for ALL bars. However, on my ride home I passed a few well-known big bar establishments that have been in various stages of closure up to last month and are now open and spilling over with people. Of course most "bars" do serve food.

Perhaps you should get out more. ????

Edited by LetsGoJoe

2 hours ago, LetsGoJoe said:

Check your own "facts".

I was physically in a BAR in Chiang Mai, sipping a JD and listening to Boy tear-up some blues in his bar last Friday. They re-opened, posting hrs from 6:30pm-10:30pm,3-days a week. The place was packed. I'll be heading back again Christmas eve.

Granted, I can't be speaking for ALL bars. However, on my ride home I passed a few well-known big bar establishments that have been in various stages of closure up to last month and are now open and spilling over with people. Of course most "bars" do serve food.

Perhaps you should get out more. ????

I'm out all the time as well, mate. I even own a bar. The fact that you were drinking in a 'Bar' doesn't mean it was legal. If you could be bothered to check you will find that my previous post was absolutely correct. BARS IN THAILAND ARE NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED TO OPEN.  Yes, of course they are open, but that wasn't the question. People like you, who post <deleted> really <deleted> me off. Merry Xmas. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mikosan said:

I'm out all the time as well, mate. I even own a bar. The fact that you were drinking in a 'Bar' doesn't mean it was legal. If you could be bothered to check you will find that my previous post was absolutely correct. BARS IN THAILAND ARE NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED TO OPEN.  Yes, of course they are open, but that wasn't the question. People like you, who post <deleted> really <deleted> me off. Merry Xmas. 

Why get your panties tied in a knot,dude. Im only relaying my actual experience in Chiang Mai. I know the original question alluded to "legal" guidelines but I interpreted the question as "are the lights on in CM". Indeed they are. That is the actual FACT - they are on everywhere for local and tourist alike. Of course the poster could of just got off the boat, thought it to be a good idea and opened a bar himself, all bright-eyed and bushy tailed wanting to know current guidelines by asking for it here.

The fact that your post was correct is irrelevant to those interested in going out for a drink in CM. If the police are not enforcing and the bar owners are not complying, as long as the lights are on, the legalities surrounding serving alcohol is meaningless to the patron.

Good luck with your bar.

Edited by LetsGoJoe